Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 11:11 AM

20 posts, read 46,738 times

Advertisements

I moved from California to New York about 5 years ago and never got a NY license.
Now I am moving back to CA but I want to buy a new car to do a cross country road trip.
I would like to buy the car in October and move late December.
I'm trying to avoid trading in my CA license for a NY license, but right now I don't see any other way since I'll have the car for a couple of months here in NY.
Any advice on what is the best way to do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 05:54 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
You may be screwed for double taxes doing this. Check CA DMV to see if you must pay use tax to transfer plates and whether tax paid to NYC would be deducted from CA tax.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:14 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,276 times
It might be a waste of time registering the car in NY if you plan to move back to CA in such a short time span. Check CA DMV to see how long you had to have owned the car before it becomes exempt from CA sales tax. You might want to buy the car sooner to get well clear of any snags with that and just run the NY registration out, which I think is good for two years.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:33 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,914 times
man, move to cali first, get your license there, then do your road trip

Old 06-16-2015, 03:44 PM

I would not have to pay double taxes, only $250 for the CA registration, which I'm ok with.
I need the car to drive from NY to CA, so my only option is to get the car in NYC if I want to do this trip.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:56 PM

6 posts, read 9,168 times
when I moved from NY to WA I had to register my car in NYC to drive it off the lot.....insurance was OK with my new WA address.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:04 PM

Which license did you have?

Old 06-16-2015, 04:36 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,073,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molocono View Post
I would not have to pay double taxes, only $250 for the CA registration, which I'm ok with.
I need the car to drive from NY to CA, so my only option is to get the car in NYC if I want to do this trip.
You -do- have to pay your taxes to CA, not to NY if you bring the vehicle in less than 1 years of ownership. You will pay first in NY, then taxes paid to NY will be remitted to CA but all your paperwork must be cleared.

CA will not let you register a car without it physically being present in the state. Renewals are another story.

You'll be hit with two registrations and two title taxes, I can't see a way that this isn't going to be more expensive than an alternative such as renting a car and just buying your new car when you hit CA.

The used stock to buy is better quality in CA too.

That said, among all things your question was about a license.
You do not need a NY license to buy a car nor to register one here.

You -should- get a license within so many months of moving or taking employment in a particular state, and there are laws governing that- however, at this point you've had a compelling reason not to and no one found out so just go about your business buying and registering a car as an out of stater.

Sort of off topic rant : I dealt recently with transfering a title from one state to another and paid about $200 for this service. My new title is 'digital'. WHY are car deeds/'titles' not recognized nationally?

Old 06-17-2015, 12:46 PM

I just went on the CA DMV website and used their Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator to figure out the fees for a nonresident registration.

Based on the dates when I purchase the vehicle in NY and use it in CA, the registration fee would be $250 and Total Use/Sales Tax is $360. Total is $625.
A one-way car rental for 39 days would cost me around $2,000 (without insurance).

Last edited by molocono; 06-17-2015 at 01:39 PM..

Old 06-17-2015, 02:52 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,073,523 times
Are you under 25?

I just indexed a few one ways from Newark to Los Angeles for $517 for Compact to $827 for Standard SUV.

In addition to that $625 you have to look at the 3000 mile devaluation and wear and tear on a car the trip will make.
At .10 cents a mile that's still an additional $300 in wear on tires and car, withstanding the cost.

39 days is a LENGTHY time to cross the country. I've done it in 3.
If your goal is a leisurely cruise across the US in your own car- well, you haven't much a choice but to buy it and register it in New York, pay NYS insurance costs, move it through to CA and do the very same once you get there.

It's not a sensible way to move, or to acquire a car- however it's the best way to facilitate your trip.

Since you're going to be through middle America, I'd save the money and buy the car in Texas where they're cheaper and stock is far greater and then port it over to wherever you're going. Texas dealer tags last 21 days, you basically have that long a grace to get the car to CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: