Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2008, 12:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,921 times

Advertisements

I absolutely love New York City and I want to move there. I am a 22 year old student who will be graduating from college with a degree in Event Management in August. Hopefully, after that I would be able to move to New York City but I have some concerns:
My family does not like the reputation of the city and does not want me to go. I have traveled all over Europe and I am a very determined person who really wants to be successful. I really want to know what the city is truly like from a current resident living in NYC?
To be honest, I don't have any money saved up yet (I have family in NYC) but I would like to have a job set in place in NYC before I graduate from college. I will also be doing an internship in NYC for the summer that would give me time to save money, network and get to know the city. So do they offer alot of Hospitality Jobs in Events/Catering in NYC?
Where is the best place to live for down-to-earth, artistic person as myself for a good price? Because I know the apartments are expensive!!
And what are the Do's and Don'ts of the City? I apologize for typing such a large amount of information but I need some serious advice!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 06:00 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
did you check the sticky thread at the top of this board?

Old 01-24-2008, 06:03 AM

6 posts, read 21,845 times
You don't want to do that. New York is a beautiful place, very cultural, but apartments, houses, real estate is general is very expensive, and jobs are hard to find. I live in new york and thinking about moving elsewhere, possibly to florida

Old 01-24-2008, 09:22 AM

82 posts, read 546,082 times
Read the sticky thread at the top and do some research. It's much more than just getting a job and moving in. NYC very different than any other place to live. You will need, most likely, 1st and last months rent up front and a broker's fee..usually 10%-15% of a years rent. Yes, it is possible to find an apartment without a broker's fee but it takes a lot of work and time. You will need probably at least $3,000-$5,000 just to move in! I'm from NYC and I live in TX now and it was a million times easier to move here. Granted, TX is not as cool as NY but moving and finding a place to live was much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City