Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 08:45 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,821 times

Advertisements

All the major teams are pretty much irrelavant. I was watching the Yankees game last night and was amazed at how many empty seats I saw. It looks horrible on tv

Yankees- the only memorable thing the last 2 seasons were the retirements of jeter and Mariano.

Mets- Harvey have them a nice buzz in 2013 but his injury pretty much buried it in 2014. Plus like the Yankees the team just isn't good. Baseball as a whole simply isn't as popular in this city as it used to be.

Knicks- Been bad for over a decade aside from one nice fluke year with Melo. Only hoping to land a future piece in this current draft

Nets- once the "move to Brooklyn" buzz wore off no one cared. Thinking New Yorkers would magically become nets fans was dumb. It also doesn't help that team has a terrible future do to horrible contracts and no draft picks. Most of the people at the games aren't even die hard basketball fans just weird hipsters.

Giants- have sucked the last 3 seasons, the only saving grace was ODBs run towards the end of the season.

Jets- Popularity increased first 2 years of the Ryan with the two conference title games and have been one of the worst teams in the NFL the last 4 seasons.

St Johns and Syracuse Basketball-? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 08:56 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,944,606 times
I hear you. I'm a big sports fan too and this is the pits. Looking forward to 5/19 however, the Nba draft selection show.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:58 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,399,450 times
uh Rangers are on the verge of heading into the playoffs and are considered the best team in the NHL right now

Old 04-09-2015, 09:23 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,408,600 times
The Rangers and the Islanders are the only two teams doing good right now.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:30 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
There's noticeably less buzz around the Yankees this season. I was on the D train yesterday around the time before the game and was surprised at how few people got off the train at Yankee stadium stop. But if your a REAL baseball fan not just a fair-weather type both NYC teams are actually pretty interesting this season. The Mets appear on the verge of forming a special team and the Yankees have an interesting mix of veterans and younger players. It's definitely weird to have a Yankee team without a big star player the Yankees developed from the minors themselves. For like the past 25 years there's always been someone, Bernie, Pettite, Jeter, Posada, Mariano, Cano etc. Fans grow more attached to these players. I guess Gardner and Betances are the only guys somewhat like that on current team.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 04-09-2015 at 09:41 AM..

Old 04-09-2015, 09:35 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
All the major teams are pretty much irrelavant. I was watching the Yankees game last night and was amazed at how many empty seats I saw. It looks horrible on tv

Yankees- the only memorable thing the last 2 seasons were the retirements of jeter and Mariano.

Mets- Harvey have them a nice buzz in 2013 but his injury pretty much buried it in 2014. Plus like the Yankees the team just isn't good. Baseball as a whole simply isn't as popular in this city as it used to be.

Knicks- Been bad for over a decade aside from one nice fluke year with Melo. Only hoping to land a future piece in this current draft

Nets- once the "move to Brooklyn" buzz wore off no one cared. Thinking New Yorkers would magically become nets fans was dumb. It also doesn't help that team has a terrible future do to horrible contracts and no draft picks. Most of the people at the games aren't even die hard basketball fans just weird hipsters.

Giants- have sucked the last 3 seasons, the only saving grace was ODBs run towards the end of the season.

Jets- Popularity increased first 2 years of the Ryan with the two conference title games and have been one of the worst teams in the NFL the last 4 seasons.

St Johns and Syracuse Basketball-? lol
I agree with you big time on Nets. They tried to do a quick microwave build of a team, but they should have really tried to build a loyal fanbase. I don't like that org at all.

St. Johns might become exciting again with Mullin as coach if he's able to recruit well. There seem to be some positive vibes there, let's see.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:40 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,959,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
But if your a REAL baseball fan not just a fair-weather type both NYC teams are actually pretty interesting this season.
I agree wholeheartedly with you. I look forward to going to some games this year and hopefully with lesser crowds and less of the obnoxious bandwagon types that don't even pay attention to the game.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:40 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,764,254 times
The Rangers are going to finish with the best record in hockey and were in the finals last season. And weeknight April games for the Mets and Yankees always have low turnouts, especially on 45 degree rainy nights like last night.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:03 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,821 times
One advantage for me is I went to more Yankee games in 2012 and 2013 than pretty much my entire childhood. The tickets were so cheap and the stadium was Dead half have the time

Old 04-09-2015, 11:08 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,542,087 times
Giants never get any love in this town. Recent superbowl victories in 2007 and 2011, yet the Jests still get all the media attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City