Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 08:37 AM

10 posts, read 16,167 times

Advertisements

Hello
I had some questions about living on the Upper East Side
1. What is the most luxurious apartment on the UES? By "luxurious" I mean the place with the best amenities(gym, swimming pool, gym) Looking for a1BR apartment, and I'd like to spend no more than 4k a month. What are some places that would fit what I want?
2. How much does it cost for 1 person to shop at Dean & Deluca regularly? (for Breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
3. How much would one need to make to send their kids to one of NYC's top prep schools?(Trinity, Collegiate, etc)
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 12:04 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
A close family friend of many years owns in a pre-war co-op building in a top area and pays $5,314 a month in common charges.

Why would anyone shop at Dean and Deluca. It's basically a coffee place and not even the best one. When I was a kid it was in interesting and creative store in Soho. That's long gone, both literally and conceptually.

Tuition just below $50,000 and that does not even encompass the actual cost of your child surviving in the environment.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:21 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglicanPrer212 View Post
Hello
I had some questions about living on the Upper East Side
1. What is the most luxurious apartment on the UES? By "luxurious" I mean the place with the best amenities(gym, swimming pool, gym) Looking for a1BR apartment, and I'd like to spend no more than 4k a month. What are some places that would fit what I want?
2. How much does it cost for 1 person to shop at Dean & Deluca regularly? (for Breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
3. How much would one need to make to send their kids to one of NYC's top prep schools?(Trinity, Collegiate, etc)
Thanks
1- Large portions of the housing market on the UES are co-ops thus unless you know who lives in the apartment or apartments it cannot be determined the most "luxurious".

2- You need to define what area/part of the UES you want this "luxurious" apartment.

3- Dean and Deluca is at best a local quasi gourmet store, deli, coffee place. No one would go there three times per day for meals, especially for dinner. There are plenty of small charming restaurants for the latter. Tourists, visitors and others with time on their hands have breakfast out on workdays. The rest either eat at home or grab something to eat upon arrival at work.

Price wise D&D's food and beverage offerings are no more out of line for that area than anyone else's. You are just paying more for the location and the fact nothing else is on that part of Madison. You can walk several blocks south on Madison and find a deli then Nectar restaurant/diner (Madison and 82nd) for more reasonable "breakfast, lunch and dinner" fare. More persons in that part of the UES go to and or order from Nectar than D&D.

Nectar - Greek - Upper East Side - New York, NY - Reviews - Photos - Menu - Yelp

4- Money alone does not get one's children into top NYC private schools such as Dalton, Trinity, Collegiate, etc... You are going up against some of our very best families many with long established connections to the prep/private school system of New York City.

The madness actually starts with pre-K and only becomes worse until one has secured a berth in a "good" prep/high school for one's child. The wildly expensive and exclusive world of New York preschool admissions - Jun. 10, 2014

Not always but this his how things often go:
Why Grubman Was So Keen To Get His Twins Into the Y - WSJ

So unless you are running with some of the real big dogs society and bank account wise, chances of getting your child into one of our top private schools is about the same as anyone off the street.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:26 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
I don't know where to begin.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:38 PM

@bugsypal
When I said "breakfast, lunch, and dinner" I didn't mean eating at the market. I asked how much it would cost to SHOP for all of my food at Dean & Deluxa regularly. What's the most upscale organic supermarket in Manhattan?

Old 07-02-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
@bugsypal
When I said "breakfast, lunch, and dinner" I didn't mean eating at the market. I asked how much it would cost to SHOP for all of my food at Dean & Deluxa regularly. What's the most upscale organic supermarket in Manhattan?
Why are you so concerned about the *most* upscale whatever?

I live in Manhattan on the UES and can tell you persons from Fifth to York Avenues that have more money than God don't live their lives that way.

Households one knows shop for groceries based upon value and the other factors homes have used for decades. If they can find that at Whole Foods or Fairway then so be it, otherwise there are other options.

Have seen persons going into some of our most exclusive "White Glove" buildings on Park, Fifth and Madison Avenues carrying Trader Joe's bags. Equally if you look at the rubbish put out for collection you see shopping bags from Food Emporium, Associated/Morton Williams and a host of other food stores.

Also many of the "wealthy" do a bulk of their grocery shopping "in the country"; that is New Jersey, Westchester, Conn or Long Island where they have second (or third, fourth, fifth...) homes. I can go to Wegman's in NJ and get excellent "organic produce" and other groceries for very good prices. In fact persons who do not have other homes often still will drive out of the City to do major grocery shopping.

Being as all this may depending upon what part of the UES you are looking at your supermarket choices are limited.

Fifth and Park have no large commercial grocery stores, organic produce or not. You find a few delis/store 24's that have "veggies". Madison has one large supermarket in the high 80's (was Food Emporium but now Morton Williams). Everyone else from basically 57th Street to 96th must head over to Lexington, Third or points east to find supermarkets/grocery stores/food shops of any size.

All this being said if you want "upscale" organic veggies or whatever on the UES you have

Grace's Market
Citarella
Eli's Market
Whole Foods
Fairway

Old 07-02-2015, 05:58 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,775,302 times
How old are you.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:04 PM

@bugsypal
Thanks again for responding. I really appreciate your advice. Could you tell me what the differences are between the stores you listed?! Grace's Market, Citerella, Eli's Market, Whole Foods, and Fairway) what are the main differences between these places? Also. Are you at all familiar with the Browning School, Friends Seminary, and the Geneva School of Manhattan? I've heard these prep schools aren't as insanely competitive as places like Trinity or Collegiate.
Thanks

Old 07-02-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
@bugsypal
Thanks again for responding. I really appreciate your advice. Could you tell me what the differences are between the stores you listed?! Grace's Market, Citerella, Eli's Market, Whole Foods, and Fairway) what are the main differences between these places? Also. Are you at all familiar with the Browning School, Friends Seminary, and the Geneva School of Manhattan? I've heard these prep schools aren't as insanely competitive as places like Trinity or Collegiate.
Thanks
Don't know if this is homework assignment or you are fishing for plots for a film script or book; either way am out. *LOL*

Have provided more than enough information for you to finish your research. Show some initiative and use Google, Bing or whatever to find the information you seek. If and or when you have specific queries then come back...

Old 07-02-2015, 06:26 PM

Just in case you guys are wondering, I'm currently a college Sophmore. I want to attend law school, and then hopefully get into NYC BigLaw. Just trying to plan ahead|
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City