Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 11:23 AM

791 posts, read 1,434,461 times

Advertisements

I'm a can guy. You know, those guys who pick up bottles and cans for a nickel apiece? Fairway will take up to 6 bucks worth, once a day, at a pop. Apparently this policy was made at a fairly high management level, cause they all do it.

This dribble of cash is my, and a lot of other peoples, lifeline.

Also, it's a great store! They have the rep of being pricey but they do not have to be. They have a great price on those little wax coated "Babybel" cheeses. They have bulk nuts, raisins, etc., so you don't have to buy but that what you need. And they have some great sales on meats. Oh, and their chicken salad is excellent!

Oh, and by 'homeless' I mean guys like me. I don't ever ask people for anything, not even a smoke. Sometimes people offer me money, which I accept with gratitude. Don't understand these people who sit with signs saying 'homeless...hungry...please help!' Yeah, well, try getting up offa your BUTT. Don't ever give those people money! The other day, I'm can picking on third Ave, and some guy has the gall to 'spare change' ME. Do I look like effing Santa? And, not long ago, some guy is begging passersby for a "couple of bucks" for food. Well dressed, young guy, too.

Sometime, soon, I'm gonna make up my own sign that says: Homeless! Hungry! Sitting on my behind doing absolutely NOTHING useful! You're NUTS if you give me a dime.

Who knows, somebody might get a laugh out of it and flip me a quarter. That's 5 cans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 11:31 AM

769 posts, read 1,015,540 times
I've always liked the selection and prices at Fairway, but for some reason they tend to hire all work release minorities with zero customer service training. Feels like Rikers Island everytime I visit the Westbury location.

Imagine shopping in a grocery store where the employees grill you as soon as you walk in and make snide comments about you and your family.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:08 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
Here in the west coast, they let people cash in 200 cans at one time (If it's not busy, then more) I think all states should have a $0.10 can refund. You'd have people going out and cleaning roads and by ways for the cans.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:13 AM

898 posts, read 1,219,615 times
i would shop fairway to help the homeless...because they take cans and bottles worth $6 at a time? what? what logic is this??

the topic of this thread should be your life as a homeless guy.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:39 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
I am all for helping the homeless, But can do so by buying them a meal or something else with a reputable organization. I didn't even know where a fairway is to begin with until I Googled it and no location is anywhere near me.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:15 AM

898 posts, read 1,219,615 times
a fairway is in red hook in brooklyn. red hook is a dangerous area as the housing projects there have their own precinct. it's also very difficult to get to by public transport. outside of that, there's one a block or two from 86th st. in manhattan. that's a nice one but it is much smaller than the bklyn one understandably because of real estate spacing. i have shopped there before. can't remember if it was expensive or not really. from what i bought, it was basic market value, not a ripoff like whole foods.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:44 AM

119 posts, read 110,944 times
To the OP, $6.00 is a lot of money and he is grateful that this supermarket will accept many recyclables at a time. I suppose if he wanted to discuss his life as a homeless person, then he would have made that the topic. It's presumptuous for you to try to correct him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
i would shop fairway to help the homeless...because they take cans and bottles worth $6 at a time? what? what logic is this??

Old 07-13-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
I've always liked the selection and prices at Fairway, but for some reason they tend to hire all work release minorities with zero customer service training. Feels like Rikers Island everytime I visit the Westbury location.

Imagine shopping in a grocery store where the employees grill you as soon as you walk in and make snide comments about you and your family.
Newsflash to me. At the one I go to at 1st and 30th Street I'm always treated with courtesy. I'm not much of a customer (I buy stuff there on my EBT card) so this is welcome.

Fairway is exceptional in their willingness to take the cans. Rite Aid will take them but they limit you to 50. Morton Williams takes them, but I've been banned from the local one cause I somehow irritated the manager. Duane Reade stinks. They always have some damn excuse and they are really not set up to take them. I understand they are being sued, or something, behind this. I understand that I'm a pain in the ass and they don't make money on me. I am always very polite and thank everyone. It seems reasonable to have some limit on the hours and the number of containers but to refuse utterly to take them is illegal.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post

My life as a homeless guy? Not as bad as I feared. What happened is I was renting a room from this...con artist who took my money but was stiffing the landlord. I got evicted with no notice at all. With no access to a bathroom to bathe in or my clothes I lost my job. To top it off, I came down with pneumonia and had to be hospitalized for 8 days. Better now.

So, now I'm in a shelter. I'm relatively fortunate - some of these guys are crippled up, messed up from prior drug/booze habits, or mentally ill. Most, however, are just schmucks like me who hit a run of truly horrid bad luck.

The shelter has all of these posters about how we're supposed to be working our way out of homelessness. What a bunch of hooey. I don't expect to be coddled (I'm working on getting out of there) but they are no help at all. The "case workers" are a joke. Someone should send an undercover investigator or reporter in there. A lot of those people couldn't even hack it at McD's.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:10 PM

44 posts, read 53,795 times
What's a homeless guy "working to get out" of a shelter doing posting on an internet forum in the middle of a work day? Obviously it's not your work computer.

And cut your “I’m a better type of homeless” bull****. A bum is a bum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City