Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 09:49 PM

32 posts, read 37,897 times

Advertisements

This may sound insensitive or over critical, but am I the only one who thinks that NYC is the worst place for middle income families? I studied hard as a child to get into a good college, studied hard, got a decent job in the city, and yet am still struggling to make it. How does it seem fair that a low income person gets to live in the same building as me by paying very low rent, which may even be subsidized by the government. There are lotteries for folks of lower income to rent, even to buy. Yet, I cannot because I supposedly make too much under an arbitrary standard that makes absolutely no sense. I used to live in the UES and had a neighbor who was on welfare and assisted living. Yet, she managed to smoke like a chimney to the point where my asthma was a continuous issue and I had to move out. I don't mind the government helping the less fortunates/disabled and propelling to become more than they had hoped for. However, how does that translate to continuous reduced rent or lower home ownership, while the rest of us struggle to make ends meet in this absurdly expensive city? It seems like the city is determined to make the lives of certain individuals better, yet leave us middle class folks in the dust. I guess that's the philosophy everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 10:15 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnova View Post
This may sound insensitive or over critical, but am I the only one who thinks that NYC is the worst place for middle income families? I studied hard as a child to get into a good college, studied hard, got a decent job in the city, and yet am still struggling to make it. How does it seem fair that a low income person gets to live in the same building as me by paying very low rent, which may even be subsidized by the government. There are lotteries for folks of lower income to rent, even to buy. Yet, I cannot because I supposedly make too much under an arbitrary standard that makes absolutely no sense. I used to live in the UES and had a neighbor who was on welfare and assisted living. Yet, she managed to smoke like a chimney to the point where my asthma was a continuous issue and I had to move out. I don't mind the government helping the less fortunates/disabled and propelling to become more than they had hoped for. However, how does that translate to continuous reduced rent or lower home ownership, while the rest of us struggle to make ends meet in this absurdly expensive city? It seems like the city is determined to make the lives of certain individuals better, yet leave us middle class folks in the dust. I guess that's the philosophy everywhere.
Bye Felicia!

Old 08-04-2015, 10:40 PM

158 posts, read 200,341 times
The problem is that they tried to re renovate the ghetto and move higher class people in that can't afford to live in Midtown. Costco or not. 125th st is still 125th st.

Now most of the renovation still consisted around people who have been getting section 8 housing for years. But the building management is still charging new renters triple the rent.

I would rather live in Hoboken and take the path train to work rather than living in the bronx harlem Spanish harlem etc.

Especially if I make 70k a year but my neighbor is a crack head that collects welfare. Jmo

Old 08-04-2015, 11:16 PM

457 posts, read 737,299 times
Op,

Do not apologize. You hit the bullseye with your post. Middle income gets screwed over everytime. I'm in the category and had to get a second job to make ends meet every time or just to save money. I think 45K is a normal salary, but with rent prices are what they are today, nobody who is middle class and makes 45K and can survive and afford the rent of a 1 bedroom which is around $1,600.00.

It's truly horrible.

I'll get a second job to make ends meet while other people have another baby out of wedlock and try to get public assistance. The logic is backwards. Some don't even have 1 job let alone 2 jobs. I'm doing my 9 to 5 and than retail work from 6pm onwards.

There are people without college degrees that live in doorman buildings and some without a high school diploma who have a concierge. There truly are no words to describe it. There's just income disparity across the board bit as Obama says "everyone is entitled to the American dream". What he really means is his words are BS.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:00 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,384,322 times
1. If an person in an apartment is smoking ( which is disallowed ) you can report it to the management.

2. Some people earn the right to live there in that big spaceous NORMAL three bedroom BECAUSE THEY HAD IT SINCE 1974 OR WHEN THE BUILDING WAS CONSTRUCTED. Because they raised a family before you did.

3. Also the early bird gets the worm.

4. Disabled could mean many things. Right now I might qualified for blindness as that is an disability. However by listing myself as disabled as with veterans as well who collects disability, I ALSO MIGHT LOSE THE RIGHT TO BARE ARMS IN THIS STATE. Basically disability is what people do when they do not have the right to carry firearms anymore... . . . SO SUCK IT SLAVE!!!! If I can't bear arms over some sorta make-em-up diagnosis like binge eating then I might as well collect disability. Millions of vets coming home to puss-york will have a an wonderful time with this concept. Do not own an any weapon legally and collect of the government. Then there are people who are injured on the workplace.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:12 AM

32 posts, read 37,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post

There are people without college degrees that live in doorman buildings and some without a high school diploma who have a concierge. There truly are no words to describe it. There's just income disparity across the board bit as Obama says "everyone is entitled to the American dream". What he really means is his words are BS.
That is EXACTLY my point! I understand there should be certain buildings allotted to disadvantaged individuals in the city. I get it. How does it translate to doorman/concierge buildings where other residents are paying $3K-5K rent/month? You want people to work towards that lifestyle, not just hand it to them. My ex-neighbor just stayed at home under some BS disability, yet smoked like a chimney all day. There are very few requirements other than income to get into those lotteries. No drug testing, no time restriction, job requirement, school requirement, nothing. One of the low income condos restricted incomes for 1 person to $48,000 I believe. What makes them any better situated than a person making $50,000 and therefore disqualified from entering that lottery? Are the people making $50,000 rather than $48,000 all of a sudden that much richer? I don't think so. NYC doesn't want the middle class to do better, it just wants the lower class to be entitled and be elevated to middle class without any work. The rich don't care because they've always been rich. Once you make millions a year in NYC, who cares about lower or middle class?

It is disheartening. With all the stupid taxes and surcharges of NYC that feeds into these programs, I'm not surprised many people choose to live in NJ. I plan on leaving the city specifically because of this issue in a few years, if not sooner. If I do end up staying, I would move to NJ.....

Old 08-05-2015, 02:59 AM

3,953 posts, read 5,080,180 times
SF and NYC have become essentially nightmares if you're not Middle Class living in a rent stabilized/controlled or owned unit.

They are 'legacy' cities now.
I don't particularly believe in NYC's completely ridiculous housing lotteries, but if you've lived here long enough and aren't taking advantage of one somehow... you'd be better off anywhere else in the USA- minus perhaps SF.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:33 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Bye Felicia!
didn't you leave nyc only to come back with your tail between your legs?

Old 08-05-2015, 05:50 AM

170 posts, read 315,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
However by listing myself as disabled as with veterans as well who collects disability, I ALSO MIGHT LOSE THE RIGHT TO BARE ARMS IN THIS STATE.
No one has the authority to take away your tank tops, no matter what they tell you.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:21 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,542,087 times
Thats what Queens was invented for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: