Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 08:45 PM

12 posts, read 78,073 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I currently work at CUNY, both as an adjunct and institutional researcher. Because I'm a municipal employee and listed myself as such on my housing lottery application, I expected to see a preference in my log number. Earlier today, I came across a post that said extra letters should be aded to your number and the letters should signify something, like CB for "community board." I received my log number, but there are no letters at the end. Does this mean I wasn't given a preference? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 09:29 PM

457 posts, read 736,963 times
Do you see any 2 letters that might correspond to your professional like ME or MU?

Old 07-16-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post
Do you see any 2 letters that might correspond to your professional like ME or MU?
Thanks for responding!

I only see 50,000 with no letters at all. Since my number is so high, I was hoping the preference would help me, but strangely, it's not showing up. Wanted to add that I reviewed my app again and I definitely checked off "Yes" for the question about my municipal employee status. I also selected CUNY as my employer.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:12 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,565,677 times
How were you informed of your log number? By email or letter? There are several companies that vet applicants. Related is the big one, but there are a couple of others. Perhaps the procedures are not 100 percent the same.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:53 AM

I won and live in a housing lottery now and during my application process, the people processing went in log numberorder. They started with 1, 2, 3, and so forth. However, another lottery i applied for is all over the place with the log numbers. Which seems odd because you'd think they'd go in numerical order as they are issued. My current lottery at Hunters Point South is contacting people with 55,00 or 72,500 log numbers. It's ridiculous. Whoever was issued #1 probably never even got notified.

It's understandable if they're going in numerical order.

my last lottery had CB next to my log number for community board.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
How were you informed of your log number? By email or letter? There are several companies that vet applicants. Related is the big one, but there are a couple of others. Perhaps the procedures are not 100 percent the same.
I was informed online when I logged into NYC Housing Connect. I haven't received an email or letter- does the number get posted online before these materials get sent out?

Quote:
I won and live in a housing lottery now and during my application process, the people processing went in log numberorder. They started with 1, 2, 3, and so forth. However, another lottery i applied for is all over the place with the log numbers. Which seems odd because you'd think they'd go in numerical order as they are issued. My current lottery at Hunters Point South is contacting people with 55,00 or 72,500 log numbers. It's ridiculous. Whoever was issued #1 probably never even got notified.

It's understandable if they're going in numerical order.

my last lottery had CB next to my log number for community board.
I didn't realize the process could be different for this building (it's the 160 Madison Ave one)- it's actually my first time even applying so I've been on here trying to learn about the process from this site. Others who had CB preferences also mentioned having letters like you did but none of the municipal employees mentioned this. Maybe we don't get letters? (Trying to be an optimist about my log numbers, though it's possible they won't go in order like the other building you mentioned)

Old 07-16-2015, 04:15 PM

There's CB for community board preference and also GL which I believe means General Log meaning you don't fall under any category and should bless your lucky stars you were picked.

seriously, it should just go from 1,2,3 and so on and Not jumping around. A formal process is a formal process. From my understanding, they should be following the guidelines issued by the city. I was told from the employees processing my paperwork that the computer picks applicants automatically and then they get contacted. Some that get called turn it down and so the call the next person which is #2, and then #3 and so on.

Last edited by NYCLotteryGurl; 07-16-2015 at 04:33 PM..

Old 07-17-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
There's CB for community board preference and also GL which I believe means General Log meaning you don't fall under any category and should bless your lucky stars you were picked.

seriously, it should just go from 1,2,3 and so on and Not jumping around. A formal process is a formal process. From my understanding, they should be following the guidelines issued by the city. I was told from the employees processing my paperwork that the computer picks applicants automatically and then they get contacted. Some that get called turn it down and so the call the next person which is #2, and then #3 and so on.
I hope they follow the procedure too! I just got a number for another development (Bushwick) and I'm under 3,000. I would rather be in Manhattan and hate the train options in the area, but I'd still take the apartment and continue applying for other developments.

If the procedure for the Madison development differs, I'll make sure to update that on the board.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:56 AM

36 posts, read 62,624 times
So here's how the lottery process works.

You fill out the application on housing connect or request a paper application.

Once the deadline for the application closes, all applications are randomized. Meaning that if Tom filled out an application on the day applications opened and Jerry filled out an application on the day before the dealine and Tweety filled out an application somewhere in the middle, there is a chance that once it's randomized, the log numbers randomly assigned to Tom Jerry & Tweety would not be in the same order in reference to when they applied. Hence why it is called a "lottery."

Once log numbers are randomly assigned, the wait list is placed in log number order. The next part is where I believe the confusion comes in. Although there is only one wait list that is in log number order, preferences are interviewed first. Therefore, still in log number order, any application marked with mobility, visual and/or hearing will be pulled first in log number order. Once those units that are set aside for mobility, visual and/or hearing impairments have been filled they move on to pulling community board applications in log number order. Once community board units are filled you move on to pulling the final preference of municipal employees in log number order until units are filled.

After all of the preference set aside units are filled, or the end of all preference applications are filled, you go back to the beginning of the wait list and go in log number order.

Now there are several reasons your application may be skipped:

1. The applicant has failed to respond to interview letters within a certain time period.
2. Your household size cannot be accomodated in any of the apartments. I.e. a household size of 7 in a building with a max of 3 bedrooms.
3. There is not a unit available for your household size

The application process may vary by management company but the above order is regulated for all HDC properties participating in the Housing Lottery. It's a possibility that some management companies use the "CB, MU" etc. to differentiate applicants but that isn't something that is done across the board.

I encourage anyone who fills out applications on Housing Connect to thoroughly read through the FAQ's.

Let me know if you guys have any questions i'll be happy to answer =)

Old 07-17-2015, 09:01 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,565,677 times
From what I have seen and from what others have said on this forum, having the community preference is very important. A full 50% of the units have to be filled by local residents, and this has to happen before the pool of general applicants is even considered. So when finding other lotteries to enter, get a map of your community board, and on your days off wander around and take notice of construction sites. Snap photos of any information posted, and follow up. NYC Housing Connect is the main source, but there are others. The odds of getting called are long, but as evident from this forum, people are successful in getting apartments! Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery