Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2008, 12:15 PM

11 posts, read 39,541 times

Advertisements

My husband who is from Brooklyn (Sunset Park) is set on moving back to NY. I never been in NY so dont know what to expect. But I hear that taxes are very high and overall cost of living. We live in Orlando he makes approximately 40k as an electrician here I make 30k as an Administrative Assistant. We have a 3 yr and a mortgage of 1,300 a month for a 3 bed condo. He tell me we will make more money there and would probably pay the same amount for a 2 bedroom apartment in a nice area in Brooklyn. Also they tell me the food is cheaper in NY than Florida...Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 12:50 PM

70 posts, read 421,417 times
I believe NYC electricians make between 40-90k. I may be wrong. You could possibly get $50,000 as an executive asistant, but if not you are looking at 30-40k. I am an Admin and it is Tough here. I only work part time-thank goodness. I'd imagine execs in Florida are a lot more chipper (all that sun). But, rent in a good Brooklyn neighborhood for a decent 1 bedroom is going to be 1600+...and please don't think about having a car.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:47 PM

706 posts, read 3,764,205 times
I know some hardworking electricians who do much better than $40,000.

And with good experience and knowledge of technology administrative assistants can do better than $30K.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:49 PM

650 posts, read 2,518,030 times
a 2 BR in sunset park is more than 1300 but its not the greatest area. if you go further south(and away more from the city), 1300 can get a 2BR in say bensonhurst

Old 01-24-2008, 05:52 PM

431 posts, read 2,125,980 times
Your husband is right. You will definitely make more money. Income taxes are higher because you'll pay state and city taxes. But you should be able to find an apt for a little bit more money. Be prepared though, it will be much smaller. No such thing as 3bdrm/2 bath apts in Brooklyn. Rare, i should say. Food is most definitely cheaper, as is buying clothes and other things. You will end up breaking even. The only thing is whether or not you can get used to the lifestyle. It's much more crowded, you will be walking alot, and like i said before, the apts are really small. NY is a state of mind. You will grow to love it.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:09 PM

18 posts, read 38,882 times
I'm a New Yorker and went to Orlando and thought it was the ugliest most disgusting city I have ever been to. New York City is overwhelming for those that don't have a city mentality. Orlando is not a city at all so don't think you know anything about city life from living in Orlando. If you value good food, non-chain restaurants, interesting people (unlike any in the world) non stop action, wonderful media, arts, culture, and something to do 24 hours a day you will love New York. The drawbacks are the costs will be much greater, everything costs more and taxes are higher. Driving and parking can be more difficult. In my opinion it is well worth it. Also, I love a four season climate. I can't stand constant heat and humidity. New Yorkers are most miserable during the ten to 15 90 degree days a year, couldn't imagine coping with that all the time. You will definately see that wages are better. In my opinion Orlando is probably the worst city in America to live so I would prioritize getting out. If you don't like New York maybe you could settle for a happy medium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City