Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 07:05 PM

64 posts, read 69,743 times

Advertisements

I'll preface this by saying I really dislike public transportation and would love to avoid it wherever possible.

I'm looking at possibly working in midtown, 50th and 6th.

I've looked into the cost of a studio in Riverdale, a parking space near the office, tolls, and that doesn't bother me. The job pays well. I'm more concerned with traffic.

I can probably leave around 9am, and closer to 6-7 at night.

Anyone do this commute?

I've dealt with bad traffic before, but just curious how bad it is. I've also driven in the city plenty. Used to drive in at least twice a week, but mostly off hours.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 07:46 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Know several building workers in my area of Manhattan who drive into work daily. Some of their employers allow use of garage space, others must find street or avenue parking. What usually happens is one or more will surrender their spot to someone coming on shift when they get off duty.

Other than that cannot imagine why you would want to drive into Mid-Town Manhattan daily.

You can forget about street parking anywhere in that area, so now you are looking at garage costs. What some did or used to do was drive into an area of upper Manhattan (UES, UWS) park and take public transportation or even walk from there. However because of parking rules you'd have to find a spot where you can leave your car that does not require it being moved for street cleaning. That is becoming an increasingly difficult task as more and more persons move into Manhattan.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:57 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,233 times
OP has said he is fine with the cost of a parking space near the office.

I drive sort of that way every day. From Riverdale, you'll either come down the Henry Hudson, which turns into the West Side Highway, or take the Deegan to the Cross Bronx to the Henry Hudson (and so on). I'd definitely recommend the first option if you don't mind the toll. I take the Cross Bronx from its beginning down to the West Side. Most of the traffic is on the Cross Bronx, and the awful terrible interchange between the Deegan, Cross Bronx and the Henry Hudson. Pretty sure whoever designed that (was it Robert Moses?) was smoking a lot of crack. Henry Hudson into WSH is usually smooth, sometimes a little slow but never terrible.

It'll most likely take you about 45 minutes at 9am to get to the 50th Street exit, depending on how high up in Riverdale you are. No telling how long it'll take to get across to 6th (or wherever your garage is). In the evening, later is better, as you're driving to the GWB, essentially. If I leave my office between 5:30-6, it's usually 7:15-7:30 before I'm home, all bc of the Henry Hudson. If I happen to leave later, I usually fly right home, in 45 min or so.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:58 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,059,998 times
I found 2 garages near the office, $350-$400/month. Not too worried about cost.

I've also considered getting a studio within walking distance of the office, but not sure how realistic that is at any reasonable budget.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:04 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I found 2 garages near the office, $350-$400/month. Not too worried about cost.

I've also considered getting a studio within walking distance of the office, but not sure how realistic that is at any reasonable budget.
Years ago before Hell's Kitchen/Clinton became the new gay area and or otherwise gentrified you could find something cheaply west of 8th Avenue, now not to sure. Unless you know a guy that knows a guy who knows a guy whatever you do find will be three, four or maybe even five times in rent than the cheapest garage space.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:31 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,078,875 times
Public transportation will be cheaper and less of a hassle for you. (especially going home) West Side Highway from 4;45pm to 7pm is traffic jam central. Fridays 4pm to 8 pm = traffic jam central... If there is an accident, inclement weather...holy burrito turd!!

Last edited by Mr. Ryu; 08-07-2015 at 08:21 AM..

Old 08-07-2015, 07:43 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Quote:
I'll preface this by saying I really dislike public transportation and would
love to avoid it wherever possible.
I understand your scorn of public transportation but I think you will find for this commute it is NOT possible.
Daily driving will be tedious and HORRIBLY expensive.

You will inevitably choose the #1 train to 59th and a transfer to the B train to Rockefeller Center (50th and Sixth.)
No way that driving will be faster, cheaper or even more pleasant.

An aside: If you are looking at a Riverdale studio, money is apparently an issue for you. Driving and parking is as HIDEOULSY expensive on the wallet as it is on one's nerves.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:32 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I understand your scorn of public transportation but I think you will find for this commute it is NOT possible.
Daily driving will be tedious and HORRIBLY expensive.
It's indeed possible. I do it four days a week (work from home on Fridays), from a bit further away in the Bronx, to a bit further south in Manhattan. It's not ideal, but it's what works for me right now.

OP, you should look into seeing if your company offers pre-tax transit options, I am able to have $250/month deducted from my gross pay and placed into a parking account. I pay daily, so I just use the debit card provided. But for a monthly space, you'd pay for it directly, then submit for reimbursement from the parking account. Really does save a bit of money.

Btw, $350-$400 isn't bad at all for a monthly spot in that area.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:46 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtillman View Post
I'll preface this by saying I really dislike public transportation and would love to avoid it wherever possible.

I'm looking at possibly working in midtown, 50th and 6th.

I've looked into the cost of a studio in Riverdale, a parking space near the office, tolls, and that doesn't bother me. The job pays well. I'm more concerned with traffic.

I can probably leave around 9am, and closer to 6-7 at night.

Anyone do this commute?

I've dealt with bad traffic before, but just curious how bad it is. I've also driven in the city plenty. Used to drive in at least twice a week, but mostly off hours.
Get to know the metro north. I understand some people really really prefer being in control of when they get to work etc, I get it, but it would be so much easier to commuter rail this.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:29 PM

257 posts, read 684,876 times
Do some simple math: how much does a studio in Riverdale cost? I doubt that anything under $1500 is realistic. How much are you going to spend on your commute each month? I would say $700 is the minimum, accounting for parking, tolls, depreciation, gas, etc. How long do you figure you'll spend driving every day? I'd say at least 2 hours, round trip. How much do you value those 2 hours? Would you spend them doing something productive or enjoyable, or could you not care less if they were lost?

Now sum up those 3 numbers: $1500 + $700 + $??? = $2200+???. Is it possible to find a studio within walking distance from your job for that much money? I think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: