Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 09:47 AM

13 posts, read 74,024 times

Advertisements

So I found some nice apartment studios in these 3 areas.

The West ones are basically between 48 and mid 60s. Cross Street for the west ones were around 10th and 11th. The midtown east one is on upper 20s and Park.

The impression that i get with the upper/mid west is that it's more residential/quiet (+ Central Park access is nice for upper west). The mid east area is more lively and I'd get easier access to the subways and "the usual hangout spots".

Here are my priorities:
1. No Bugs (so the area with less chance of bugs crawling around is important)
2. Safety (is the Madison Park area safe at night?)
3. Food (particularly delivery food)
4. How fun the area is overall, during daytime, for an open-minded, mid twenties guy

Anyway, it'd be great to hear some feedbacks, impressions and living experiences in these areas.

Last edited by olympus123; 05-27-2008 at 09:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 09:53 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Hell's Kitchen (the west side apartments) is someplace I'm not so fond of. But that's me. You might feel differently.

In the 20s near Park isn't exactly mid-town. It's considered Grammercy. Easy to get to the Union Square market from there, but there's not much else in that neighborhood. Remember, the farther you are toward Madison and Park Avenues, the longer the distance to shopping, shoe repair, dry cleaning, etc.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:23 AM

757 posts, read 3,363,589 times
Bugs live everywhere. Whether or not they live with you depends on the joint efforts of you and your building's property manager/super.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:55 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,888 times
Gramercy Park area is really nice and safe. They have a private park there that only residents can use, not sure if a rental counts. Lots of good stores around there. There are delis, dry cleaners, supermarkets etc. It's very residential and pretty quiet. You're also a short walk from Chelsea which is the trendy hot spot area. Lots of restaurants and shopping there. Personally I like the quiet streets of an area but the proximity of the action. It's pretty rare.

Upper West Side is similar in terms of being residential but with lots of shopping and dining options. Not a lot of clubs in the area but you aren't far from any.

Hell's Kitchen probably has more clubs and bars but it's a lot grittier. The nabe is transitioning. I would carefully check it out. You are very close to Times Square from this nabe.

As for bugs, welcome to NYC. We have roaches and rats and there's more of them than us. Just a part of living in our great city.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:38 PM

13 posts, read 74,024 times
My concern with Grammercy is that I can't commute to work (at midtown and Ave. of Americas), with a subway. I've lived in NYC for 6 years (4 different locations) now and never seen a single roach, except the time i lived in Chinatown. If anyone can state the area they live in and had a problem/didn't have a problem with roaches (or what kind of apt's I should shoot for (like postwar/prewar) to minimize my chances of seeing one), that'd be extremely helpful.

Also, I checked out Hell's Kitchen (well more to the 10th and 11th areas) and it didn't seem to be that bad. Why is it unfavorable by many people?

Anyway, thanks for your help everyone!

Old 02-10-2009, 10:33 PM

24 posts, read 47,256 times
I currently reside in Midtown East (1st Avenue) and my commute to work (located by Grand Central) is a breeze. My roommates and I don't have bug issues, but bug issues truly is a joint effort between tenants and the building manager.

You're right, Midtown East is more residential/quiet than other areas in NYC but I actually love this area for that exact reason. I am still surrounded by endless great restaurants and nightlife but I do not have to deal with the hustle and bustle of NYC. When I miss it, I just need to walk a few avenues towards Bloomingdale's and I'm back to the noisy, crowded NYC we love.

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2009, 10:38 PM

241 posts, read 373,051 times
I love the UWS. - 60s-80s. To me it is nice but not too nice.

If that makes sense. JMO.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:09 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olympus123 View Post
My concern with Grammercy is that I can't commute to work (at midtown and Ave. of Americas), with a subway. I've lived in NYC for 6 years (4 different locations) now and never seen a single roach, except the time i lived in Chinatown. If anyone can state the area they live in and had a problem/didn't have a problem with roaches (or what kind of apt's I should shoot for (like postwar/prewar) to minimize my chances of seeing one), that'd be extremely helpful.

Also, I checked out Hell's Kitchen (well more to the 10th and 11th areas) and it didn't seem to be that bad. Why is it unfavorable by many people?

Anyway, thanks for your help everyone!
Well, do you need to be right next to the subway? We live just north of Grammercy, and my wife walks to the R/W at Madison square park. Ave of Americas/Midtown is a transfer away. Other than that I vote Grammercy

1) Can't do anything about the bugs. Area means nothing if the building isn't well maintained
2) Madison square park is safe at night, but use your common sense
3) Take out is great. I have a pile full of take out places.
4) Area is great. You have good restaurants towards the 20's (Curry Hill, Resto, Tabla) in Grammercy (Casa Mona), union square/flatiron (Craft/Craftbar, Grammercy Tavern, Veritas). Bars are around 3rd avenue.
5) Basic shopping is out of the way. Its a good 20 min walk to stores 5th ave (16th st) or 6 line to Soho or 59th.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:09 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
The original post is almost a year old. I'm sure the OP has a place by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City