Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 10:04 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
So the landlord is the bad guy for not wanting a drug addicted felon in his building paying 20% of the market-rate rent. Er, right.

I think the market-rate tenant should get to stay.

Perhaps the landlord should have followed the law then there would be less of a chance of this happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 10:11 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Heard of "due process" ?

The two are not related and no matter how heinous we find particular crimes, criminals have rights.
So do tenants in a court of law. The only person who broke housing court law here is the landlord.

How many Wall Street criminals live in New York ?

Can you really be THAT dense ? And aren't conservative types supposed to be sticklers, at the very least ? Or are you only in favor of bending certain laws.
I've found that conservatives are "sticklers" for law and order only as long as the law, especially the Bill of Rights, does not negatively impact them or theirs.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:16 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Housing court doesn't "check" things.

Someone needs to present evidence that he was not properly served, as I assume someone will.
Again, it falls to the victim to make sure the law is upheld?

Old 08-15-2015, 10:16 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I've found that conservatives are "sticklers" for law and order only as long as the law, especially the Bill of Rights, does not negatively impact them or theirs.
Exactly.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Again, it falls to the victim to make sure the law is upheld?

Yes, it is a very sorry state of affairs.

That's why landlords prefer to rent their recently "deregulated" units to foreign nationals or young white folk from Idaho, for example. They do not want anyone requesting investigations of particular "deregulation" processes.

The "gut rehab deregulation" operates on the honor system. Nobody checks unless a tenant requests this. DHCR takes the paperwork submitted by the landlord as truth until it is questioned.

It's also why groups are trying to educate people about these things. Hard to know how well they are doing.

The de Blasio administration is certainly helping people out there and while I am not a huge fan necessarily, I think this is quite good. It benefits many people.

Under his administration as well a major luxury project contractor has lost licensing and people were arrested over the death of the worker - really good thing. The contractor is effectively out of business.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:25 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Highway robbery is the most appropriate way to describe housing laws in NYC. It is despicable to me that so many people feel entitled to the legally owned property of others.

"Legal Rent" is no less legal than "Legal Ownership."

Old 08-15-2015, 11:13 AM

931 posts, read 801,748 times
"Legal rent" does not exist in a free market environment. The rent is whatever the market can bear for the specific area. Very simple concept to understand.

Had rent control laws in NYC never existed, I guarantee you rent prices would not have been as high as they are now. You can thank stupid NYC rent control laws for that.

Only is rent control environment do LLs have to resort to such tricks to counter the unjust, unfair rent control laws.

You don't see this kind of behavior from LLs who have free market apartments. Hmmmmm, I wonder why?

Could it be that as expenses increase, LLs raise rent accordingly?

Could it be that if the LL has a problematic tenant, the LL can opt to NOT renew he lease when it expires effectively removing the problem from the property? With rent control apartments, LLs are forced to renew the problematic tenant's lease. How stupid is that?

Old 08-15-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
"Legal rent" does not exist in a free market environment. The rent is whatever the market can bear for the specific area. Very simple concept to understand.
And it speaks volumes that you are unable to comprehend how "free market" actually works in the contemporary world.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:47 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
Quote:
Housing court doesn't "check" things.

Someone needs to present evidence that he was not properly served, as I assume someone will.
Yes, they do, or yes, they should!

Any court that proceeds without the other side, it better be a good reason!

Old 08-15-2015, 02:49 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post

Had rent control laws in NYC never existed, I guarantee you rent prices would not have been as high as they are now. You can thank stupid NYC rent control laws for that.

Only is rent control environment do LLs have to resort to such tricks to counter the unjust, unfair rent control laws.

You don't see this kind of behavior from LLs who have free market apartments. Hmmmmm, I wonder why?

Could it be that as expenses increase, LLs raise rent accordingly?

Could it be that if the LL has a problematic tenant, the LL can opt to NOT renew he lease when it expires effectively removing the problem from the property? With rent control apartments, LLs are forced to renew the problematic tenant's lease. How stupid is that?
Makes you wonder how every other city in the nation without rent control hasn't burned to the ground yet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: