Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 03:54 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908WAGY View Post
I heard Corner Social was closed.
As of a week or so ago it was still open. Just checked Yelp and nothing is mentioned about SC being closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 05:04 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Correct me if am wrong but every single place mentioned is a restaurant, not a jazz club or place that intends to have live music. There is a difference in terms of licensing and how a community feels about opening.

You don't need a liquor license to open a restaurant, that or you can get by with just wine and beer. Most jazz clubs have a full bar which again requires a license.

There has to be more to this than just money; if a man who opened Nobu cannot get backing for a "legendary" jazz club then again the market is telling the world something.
The spots I mentioned may not have jazz in the traditional sense, but do have some form of live music or DJ. It's still one year and a half, and the spot is still vacant. The owner of the business, who was put out, has nothing to do with that fact. The owner of the property has EVERYTHING to do with the current, long vacancy!

Old 08-16-2015, 05:09 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,926,435 times
Here is another story:
Landlord Moves to Evict Richie Notar From Historic Lenox Lounge Space - Eater NY

You could also search there, I remember other discussions.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Here is another story:
Landlord Moves to Evict Richie Notar From Historic Lenox Lounge Space - Eater NY

You could also search there, I remember other discussions.
Thanks but read that story at the time of publication/post on Internet. Nothing new far as one is concerned, things still are what they are with that space.

Sad reality for any business owner who does not own the property is they must deal with a landlord. Sometimes this goes well and others not so much.

For much of recent history in NYC especially Manhattan property owners have been quite content with whatever returns they were getting from commercial rents including taxpayer buildings. The recent *success* of New York City has turned real estate in most areas into gold mines for owners, or so they at least believe. Old tenement buildings on the UWS, UES, LES and so forth are selling for forty, fifty or more millions.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:39 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,926,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Thanks but read that story at the time of publication/post on Internet. Nothing new far as one is concerned, things still are what they are with that space.

Sad reality for any business owner who does not own the property is they must deal with a landlord. Sometimes this goes well and others not so much.
I meant the link more for the OP - I would have imagined you knew the press already.

I remember thinking last year that there must be a lot more to that story. Never did find out though. Some community gossip held that the tenant was being "oppressed" by the owner, others said the tenant was unreasonable.

Maybe Samuelsson will do something with it in the end. He is building quite a little empire.
He should have taken over M & G.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:41 AM

431 posts, read 659,402 times
Not surprised that's it still vacant. I miss Lenox Lounge. The staff was really nice.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:55 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,879,032 times
The plan was to re-open Lenox Lounge a few blocks away, but that is not happening. Idea is pretty kaput. Corner Social is wide open.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:32 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Never made it to the Lenox Lounge. Looked like a cool place. I remember being shocked that it was going away as it seemed to be a place that would appeal to many, especially in the "new Harlem."

Anyone remember the Manhattan Brewery? Same thing. Great place that was ahead of its time and would fit in nicely now.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:00 PM

431 posts, read 659,402 times
I loved Manhattan Brewery.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
The spots I mentioned may not have jazz in the traditional sense, but do have some form of live music or DJ. It's still one year and a half, and the spot is still vacant. The owner of the business, who was put out, has nothing to do with that fact. The owner of the property has EVERYTHING to do with the current, long vacancy!
Again you aren't telling me anything I don't already know.

All over Manhattan from Fidi to Harlem and above you have vacant commercial space/store fronts. Landlords are raising rents/kicking businesses out and very few have the sort of funds being asked for rents.

To make rent of $20k per year (supposedly what the LL space is wanting) a business must clear three times or close to that amount to make a profit after taxes and high CODB in NYC/NYS. It just isn't worth it for some and or their investors when they look at the numbers on paper.

Unlike residential where NYC/NYS can and often does force property owners to bend to their will in whole or part, commercial RE is what it is; landlords are free to charge whatever rents they believe they can get. If no one takes the space can remain empty and they will tax a tax deduction on the "loss".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: