Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 914 times

Advertisements

Honestly Washington Heights is a tourist area. High bridge park just opened up the bridge to the Bronx what a beautiful site of the city especially at night. Laurel hill has a great walk way down the hill. The structures of the buildings are amazing. But you know what Dominicans lets keep this our little secret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 10:13 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
You could have just responded to the thread from last week instead creating a new one. Maybe mods should create a WaHi tourist destination sticky.

Actually Queens is the top tourist destination in the US for 2015 according to Lonely Planet.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:59 PM

481 posts, read 427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by activeresident View Post
Honestly Washington Heights is a tourist area. High bridge park just opened up the bridge to the Bronx what a beautiful site of the city especially at night. Laurel hill has a great walk way down the hill. The structures of the buildings are amazing. But you know what Dominicans lets keep this our little secret.
The problem with WH is that some Dominicans think they are the ONLY ones who live there....
Good luck with that.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:03 PM

119 posts, read 110,912 times
I think long-term residents are concerned about gentrification as evidenced by the ever-rising rents (even East of Broadway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
The problem with WH is that some Dominicans think they are the ONLY ones who live there....
Good luck with that.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:12 PM

481 posts, read 427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner10 View Post
I think long-term residents are concerned about gentrification as evidenced by the ever-rising rents (even East of Broadway).
Rents go up in NYC, it is a fact of life. New Yorkers all over the city have to deal with the same thing. The market has been picking up ALL OVER town.

It's worrisome to feel like you're being priced out of a place you know as home, believe me I know.

If you know you want to stay in New York for at least the next 8 years, (or even for generations), then it's time to start getting your ducks and your savings in a row for a down-payment.

As a renter, you are more like a visitor paying a lot in hotel fees. That's just how it is.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:32 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner10 View Post
Who cares. Long time residents (who still do not own) have had more than enough time to get the education necessary to stay put, instead of riding around on illegal dirt bikes or sitting around playing dominos. Only the elderly and disabled should be worried about.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:43 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by activeresident View Post
Is the High Bridge difficult to climb up to as I believe there are many steps to access it?

Old 09-02-2015, 05:34 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Is the High Bridge difficult to climb up to as I believe there are many steps to access it?
I haven't been there yet but this video shows a really steep staircase (Sorry the content is a little ugly)
Hot High Bridge Stairway Railing Leaves Woman With Severe Burns « CBS New York

Old 09-06-2015, 12:24 AM

478 posts, read 774,190 times
There's an easy way to avoid the staircase --instead of using the "main" entry at 172nd and Amsterdam, which will lead to the stairs, just enter Highbridge Park on Edgecombe around 165th St -- then walk north along the bike path which brings you to the bridge, at the base of the stairs.

p.s. I have to say it's an unusually *steep* staircase -- not as in lengthy but in pitch -- I don't recall ever going up/down a steeper set of stairs. A test for the knees. (but I did see a few women actually carrying infants down the stairs, god bless 'em!)

Old 09-06-2015, 12:25 AM

478 posts, read 774,190 times
...or you could approach the bridge from the Bronx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City