Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 06:30 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
Notice how these situations are unique to rent control/rent stabilization apartment buildings for the sake of making ends meet.

A landlord in a free market apartment building doesn't have to resort to this type of behavior because common sense prevails in a free market environment where he isn't restricted to be pro-active to keep his business afloat.

Or these landlords can elect to invest elsewhere.
Nobody held guns to their heads.

Wake up, people. This individual cannot but everyone else - come on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 08:30 AM

993 posts, read 1,385,938 times
Is your case is different from the Melamed case? Did you just post that to show how bad landlords are?

Or..are you are still asking how to present in court for yourself, sometime soon? If so, then focus on why you believe the paper is a fraud.

Sometimes, the only good papers in court are the original documents. If the paper you have from the Landlord is only a copy of the original, then his signature (switched with a brother?)-- or the costs of renovation services and materials -- could have/would have been changed to higher numbers.

Show whatever paper you hold to a judge. Say (if it's true) that you do not know what was on an original document, so you think it could be a fraud paper.

If you have any other EVIDENCE of fraud, bring that to court. For example, if the paper you hold says a company charged $2,000 for a service or kitchen applliance, and you can get another estimate from same company for same item but at much lower cost, it could help demonstrate fraud in court.

Or better, if you have time, contact a Tenants Rights organnization for better advice.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:47 AM

931 posts, read 801,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Or these landlords can elect to invest elsewhere.
Nobody held guns to their heads.

Wake up, people. This individual cannot but everyone else - come on.
If not by the private sector, who's going to own all these rent control/rent stabilized apartment buildings?

I'll tell you who, the City will. And a city runned real estate portfolio is call THE PROJECTS!

So just image for a moment the city running all these RC/RS buildings and the type of people the city would allow to move into these neighborhoods. Not to mention the upkeep of these buildings would be horrible.

The biggest slumlords of NYC are not privately owned, mom & pop landlords, its the CITY!

And we all know how happy you are living in Harlem being surrounded by Projects and the "anti-social" people they harbor.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:51 PM

11 posts, read 9,164 times
[SIZE=5]BrightRabbit[/SIZE] thank you very much!

that is very good advise regarding the fraud papers. Telling you true I do not want blood here. Even regarding counterclaim I have big concerns not only because it is really poor defense, often without results, but also because I do not want their money, they stinks.
Regarding the projects I agree with allpro123, the problem is only here that currently I live in the building very similar to project and pay $2,450. Location is very bad, safety in the building zero, hazards etc.,

I want to tell that for this month and half I was several times in the court, got a lot of information built my defense, gather real papers, and of cause, was incredible surprise how attorneys and landlords plying the game.
Unfortunately, my case was not solved yet, so I can not go into details. But as it will be complete, I immediately write how that was in details, and what I think tenants should behave in the situation similar to mine. If even I loose, I write how that was, what I had, how behave, and why I think I loose. The same in case I win.
I think really good help could be here from reading real cases, real decision, alias, I check libraries and court system, did not find nothing. That is strange, probably information kept in some reasons underground.
Thanks everybody for help!
I am very appreciate that!

Old 10-13-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
If not by the private sector, who's going to own all these rent control/rent stabilized apartment buildings?

I'll tell you who, the City will. And a city runned real estate portfolio is call THE PROJECTS!

So just image for a moment the city running all these RC/RS buildings and the type of people the city would allow to move into these neighborhoods. Not to mention the upkeep of these buildings would be horrible.

The biggest slumlords of NYC are not privately owned, mom & pop landlords, its the CITY!

And we all know how happy you are living in Harlem being surrounded by Projects and the "anti-social" people they harbor.

I am fully aware of this. The point is, a completely different model of housing is needed. You are thinking through the either-or model. Both are thoroughly unsustainable. Many economists of whatever stripe are discussing this already.

And no ... I have no idea what a solution might be. I am not doing that - and cannot. I just know some things about the questions on both sides.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:12 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
I live in a market rate apartment in NYC.
(I think it should be rent-stabilized, since it's a pre-war building with 100 units, but supposedly it's not rent-stabilized since SOME of the units are owned by individual owners/coops. My unit is a rental, rented by a management company.).

Anyway, this year, the landlord wants to raise my rent $200/month. Is that legal?

Is there any limit on how much the landlord can raise the rent each year?

Old 10-13-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
(I think it should be rent-stabilized, since it's a pre-war building with 100 units, but supposedly it's not rent-stabilized since SOME of the units are owned by individual owners/coops. My unit is a rental, rented by a management company.).

Anyway, this year, the landlord wants to raise my rent $200/month. Is that legal?

Look on the HPD website - I noticed that they are posting suggestions about regulation in specific buildings.
This is very good. Search your address.

Second - find out your legal rent. It may be the case that some were conversions and some are regulated tenants who declined options to buy.

If you have an actually owned unit they can probably charge what they want. Call Met Council on Housing and ask for advice. There is a tenant hotline. The laws have grown complex.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:50 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:

I had a friend in the same situation. She was renting a market-rate apartment from a shareholder in a coop building that still had some rent-stabilized apartments in it. The rent stabilized units had always been rentals; they were sponsor-owned.

So if your unit is owned by a shareholder (not the sponsor) then, yes, your LL can raise the rent to whatever he/she wants.

This is just my understanding. I don't think I'm wrong, but there's always a chance

If you want to be sure there are no shenanigans being pulled, you can go to DHCR. NYC Rent Guidelines Board

Old 10-13-2015, 10:36 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Interesting. I just searched my building. It's on the rent-stabilized list!
However, my landlord is raising rents in the building willy-nilly this year (I've spoken with other tenants).

Old 10-14-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Interesting. I just searched my building. It's on the rent-stabilized list!
However, my landlord is raising rents in the building willy-nilly this year (I've spoken with other tenants).
Request a rental history with DHCR.
Housing court is the best option for challenges but you still need to obtain the history from DHCR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City