Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 11:02 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times

Advertisements

Woof!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 11:34 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
None of these things are true in the least.

OP should ignore.
They are very true.

You ignore reality as always.

The OP will do whatever she likes, and that has nothing to do with you or I.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:39 PM

119 posts, read 110,912 times
I gathered from the OP that she would be getting roommates and renting a place. In my view this is preferred to renting a room in a stranger's apartment. I also agree that Washington Heights and Inwood are close enough to Columbia and are surrounded by parks, a dog walk, etc. I just did a very quick search on Trulia for zip code 10034 (Inwood). I saw three decent-looking three-bedroom apartments west of Broadway for $2,750.00 - $3,300.00. There was one east of Broadway for $1,900.00. Typically uptown, the buildings west of Broadway are more desirable, the streets less noisy, etc. I would suggest checking out Trulia and Streeteasy to see what is available in Harlem and further uptown. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
Try Washington Heights and Inwood - the top of Manhattan island. A lot of the apartment buildings here are co-ops, and many of them do allow small dogs. I'm not entirely sure what rooms go for up here, but I *think* they're in your price range.

I was talking the other day to a guy who works at my local Inwood coffee place, and he rents a room in a co-op as a roommate of the owners.

Inwood is about 90-100 blocks north of Columbia's main campus, so it's very easy to get down there - by both the 1 train and the A/C combo. This is good because when there's subway construction - and there's always subway construction - you have a second option.

You might also be able to snag something in Harlem. I know a woman who was doing her PhD at NYU and lived in various apartments around the neighborhood.

One thing to keep in mind - finding a place to live in NYC is cutthroat. The process moves very quickly - it's rare for a decent place to be available for more than a week, and if you like a place expect to put your money down immediately. And trying to rent a place more than 3-4 weeks in advance is likely pointless.

Does CU have any resources for you? It'd probably be easier to rent with other grad students if you can.

Also, can you not get into campus housing?

Old 10-26-2015, 02:43 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
They won't allow pets, no exception - unless this changed very recently.
Who's going to take care of the gay dog while she is taking classes/working/etc? Is she just going to leave the dog on their own in the apartment for the majority of the time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City