Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 03:27 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times

Advertisements

Governor Cuomo announced that nearly $42 million in state funding will be committed to bolstering safety and security at New York City Housing Authority developments. The allocation will pay for security cameras, interior and exterior lighting and gunfire detection technology, among other enhancements.

New York Police Department data for the period from January 1 through October 11 show that shootings and robberies at NYCHA developments have increased this year compared to last. Some developments have seen especially sharp increases in violent crime, including several of those that will be receiving funding for safety and security hardware and technology.

The $41.7 million of safety and security upgrades announced today were developed by the New York State Homes and Community Renewal in consultation with local stakeholders, including NYCHA tenants, who identified developments that have seen spikes in violence, or have had ongoing, longer-term problems with crime.

The 2015-16 enacted State Budget invests $477 million for a multitude of housing programs, including $248 million from the JP Morgan settlement proceeds to support various affordable housing and community development programs, such as the $100 million for upgrades to NYCHA facilities. The $100 million allocation was intended to enable NYCHA to make needed, short-term, quality-of-life improvements to its developments.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...a-developments

https://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/go...tyProjects.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 04:18 PM

515 posts, read 875,669 times
Dammit! Now I have to invest in a silencer...

Old 10-23-2015, 04:43 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,931 times
lol how about evicting all those with criminal records. and put time limits on how long one can live in nycha

Old 10-23-2015, 04:57 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkub101 View Post
Dammit! Now I have to invest in a silencer...
I'm pretty sure it would still be detected, a gunshot is still very loud even with a suppressor usually

Old 10-23-2015, 05:01 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
The technology is called Shotspotter and it's already in use in a bunch of precincts in the Bronx. This is not new. The article below is from last April. NY Daily News: De Blasio, NYPD unveil $1.5M ShotSpotter system, detects gunshots via sensors around city and alerts police automatically

Although I agree -- I think that if people commit crimes, they should be forced out of NYCHA. Kind of like when immigrants who have not become citizens commit certain kinds of crimes, they get deported.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:31 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The technology is called Shotspotter and it's already in use in a bunch of precincts in the Bronx. This is not new. The article below is from last April. NY Daily News: De Blasio, NYPD unveil $1.5M ShotSpotter system, detects gunshots via sensors around city and alerts police automatically

Although I agree -- I think that if people commit crimes, they should be forced out of NYCHA. Kind of like when immigrants who have not become citizens commit certain kinds of crimes, they get deported.
Soon, it will built in your or downloadable to the iPhone via apple app store.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:34 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
lol how about evicting all those with criminal records. and put time limits on how long one can live in nycha
not a bad idea. they should add a clause to all leases, that if you're caught housing someone with a criminal record, then the lease holder should also be prosecuted. that'll learn em.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:51 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

Not for all crimes but for certain crimes if one is convicted one can indeed be evicted out of NYCHA and if any family member or friend hosts such a person and gets caught they have to kick them out or they will all be evicted.

Depending on the crime one can have one's benefits canceled as well.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:06 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not for all crimes but for certain crimes if one is convicted one can indeed be evicted out of NYCHA and if any family member or friend hosts such a person and gets caught they have to kick them out or they will all be evicted.

Depending on the crime one can have one's benefits canceled as well.
Well I guess this policy is not exactly having the desired effect!

Old 10-23-2015, 07:42 PM

593 posts, read 470,828 times
Idleness is the mother of vice. These criminals should not be supported by taxpayer money but rather should be out there busting arse to earn a living just like the rest of us. By the time they got home from work, they should be too damn tired to think about anything else.

Last edited by fluttereagle; 10-23-2015 at 07:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City