Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 02:49 PM

3 posts, read 15,010 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

So I want to get a better understanding of the waiting game with this Mitchell Lama thing. Ok here we go !

So when I looked up to see what is available of course there is an estimated wait time ( Ex: No Wait, Under a Year, 1-2 Years) so on and so forth

HOWEVER when I go to the website to look at the Generated Waiting List where there is no wait there is a waiting list.

I am very confused by this and just want a better understanding as to why certain ones that say no wait or under a year have applications dating back to 2011 or older. This process is something else.lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 08:14 AM

3 posts, read 15,010 times
Never mind found the solution to my own question. I'll just put it out there for those who may find the system confusing.

So let's say you have a complex full of people right. BAM ! lol. The complex builds up their waiting list. Right. The waiting list time is based on how long it will take to fill the vacant spots when it becomes available. So process goes like this.

You apply -> Your approved -> Waiting List # -> Type of Apartment you want someone must either move or die

Yup That's it. And your welcome.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:53 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Quote:
You apply -> Your approved -> Waiting List # -> Type of Apartment you
want someone must either move or die
Just a little amplification:
You apply-> You're approved for the waiting list >>You get a number>>Somebody dies>>INTERNAL waiting list is offered the apartment>>>then friend of manager is offered apartment>>>super's brother-in-law is offered apartment>>>they run out of people to offer an apartment to and go to the waiting list to offer the last apartment standing>>> they call your number and THEN you see if you are approved (only now do they really look.)
And last, you do not get apartment you want but get one that is sized by HPD. So no 2 bedroom apartment for a childless couple.
Single person...sorry, you get a studio but alas, the apartment that opened up is a 4 bedroom. (Yeah, they exist.)

Old 04-25-2014, 09:59 AM

503 posts, read 898,756 times
Is there a specific website to apply?

Old 04-25-2014, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 9,635 times
Hello for everyone! Please help me!!! Where and how I can register to Mitchell Lama cooperative apartments? If someone know, answer please. Thenks.

apartment>>>then friend of manager is offered apartment>>>super's brother-in-law is offered apartment>>>they run out of people to offer an apartment to and go to the waiting list to offer the last apartment standing>>> they call your number and THEN you see if you are approved (only now do they really look.)
And last, you do not get apartment you want but get one that is sized by HPD. So no 2 bedroom apartment for a childless couple.
Single person...sorry, you get a studio but alas, the apartment that opened up is a 4 bedroom. (Yeah, they exist.)[/QUOTr[I

Old 04-25-2014, 09:48 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad555 View Post
Hello for everyone! Please help me!!! Where and how I can register to Mitchell Lama cooperative apartments? If someone know, answer please. Thenks.
I don't mean to sound like an *sshole, but have you tried googling Mitchell Lama?

Old 04-25-2014, 10:54 PM

34,035 posts, read 47,252,748 times
It's not rocket science.....you sit, and you wait.....I live in a M-L co-op.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-26-2014, 05:44 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Each ML complex must be applied to individually. So, yes, HPD has a list but then you've got to go to work on each one you like.

And like Seventh Floor said "You sit, and you wait" and you wait and you wait and you wait some more. (And then after 5 years you read that the building has left the Mitchell Lama program...and then you CURSE.)

From the mental archive:
Back in the 1970's where two major recessions had the City and State taking over one new development after another because developers couldn't rent or sell at prices sufficient to cover their loans and taxes, Mitchell Lama had a heyday.
The City periodically published a big beautiful glossy book perhaps 60 pages featuring all the new deals. You sent for it and they mailed it to you.
I though the deals were too good to be true and blew hot and cold on applying, a couple times thinking I should do 10 of them but then the idea of sending $2000 out was daunting...times were TOUGH.
I eventually didn't take any action partly influenced by my rent controlled apartment that was cheaper than ANY of the Mitchell-Lamas, but they were all NEW.

One of the dumbest moves of my life.

I wish I had kept the glossy magazine though.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:12 PM

329 posts, read 682,182 times
Awww Kefir!!! We all those stuff like that in our lives. I guess it's just being young and stupid. I remember back 15 years ago not applying for an apartment on 108th Street and 1st Ave because the wait was 10 years and that was way to long to wait! Now I'm on a waiting list and have been on it for 4 years. Had I applied for that apartment maybe i would of lived in a comfortable place and not over crowded in a very small apartment. Hopefully the waiting list (ML) that i'm on don't take that long. I only have about 400 numbers or so to go!!!!

Old 04-26-2014, 05:15 PM

329 posts, read 682,182 times
Hi 7th Floor,

I'm on a waiting list for a Mitchell Lama and have 400 numbers to go! What's the process like? When they call you how long do you have to come up with the money? What's the paper work like? I don't know anyone who lives in one of these apartments and just want to be aware of the process.

by the way are you in Manhattan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City