Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 10:45 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
People who feel that City island is the place for good seafood have obviously never ate good quality seafood.

I use to hear people raving about Sammy's. I went there once and it tasted like they microwaved everything. Never again. The only place I can say that I've been to and has decent seafood is JP's.
JP's is good too. I like Sammy's. What other restaurants in the city that you would recommend for good seafood, since you seem to know what good quality seafood is? Aquagrill is awesome but pricey.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 11:07 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
JP's is good too. I like Sammy's. What other restaurants in the city that you would recommend for good seafood, since you seem to know what good quality seafood is? Aquagrill is awesome but pricey.
Off the top of my head?.... Blue water grill, City Crab (now closed), Blue ribbon.

All are pricey but you're getting quality seafood. Makes Sammy's taste like cafeteria food.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:44 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Fine. Then do something about it and open up the first Starbucks franchise in the area.

If I want to live in an area with lots of amenities, guess what? .....I'm going to move to a neighborhood that has or is close to those amenities. Not move to desolate area of the BX then complain why there's nothing there.
Of course moving to a neighborhood with amenities will cost a certain amount of money. We don't know the OP's financial situation or what he does for a living. Perhaps he cannot afford a better neighborhood.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:50 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Not that part of the Bronx but personally the Bronx got some of the best Mexican food I ever had. I love La Morada in Mott Haven, it's the best Mexican restaurant in the city

Old 10-27-2015, 11:53 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
Op, I'm also a new to the BX (one year so far) and I understand your dilemma. Probably the biggest issue I have is that there are no good pleaces close to me to go out to eat. There are good eats in the Bronx in general, but your neighborhood and mine not so much. I don't mind it too much because it forces me to cook which is healthier and saves money, but I would like to be able to go out now and then.

That being said, I think your ranting and screaming is rediculous and naive. You want to know why there are no decent restaurants in these areas? No Starbucks? Its not because of Ruben Diaz, DeBlasio, the government, wall street, or the evil white man keeping the black and brown man down. It has nothing to do with racism or prejudice. Its not even because of perceived safety issues which nowadays one can argue may be overblown.

Its simple economics. The people living in these areas are poor. They are not going to spend $5 every day on coffee at Starbucks because they simply cannot afford it. Similarly, poor people cannot afford to eat out at nice restaurants very often if at all. If I wanted to start a Starbucks location, I would not do it in your neighborhood either because I'll be out of business in a month.

A friend of mine told me a story about a healthy food place that opened in my neighborhood a while back. It was either smoothies or vegan or something like that. Anyway they quickly went out of business because nobody was dining there.

Do you think your neighborhood is such a great business opportunity for a new restaurant that somehow all of the big chains with their army of market researchers have overlooked? If so why are you complaining? Go start that business yourself and make your fortune before someone else does.

If you really care about the residents and gentrification then you should be happy with the current scenario. The more these areas improve, the more people like you and me will move there, which will cause the prices to increase, which will displace current long-time residents which can no longer afford it. That's how gentrification works. Its always economics. Change happens in the world only because of dollars. Racism, religion, ideologies, ethics, morality, political parties, and other BS only come afterwards as the justification or the blame. Even the worlds largest bigot will put his opinions aside when he sees dollar signs dangling in front of him.
I recall when Harlem had little in the way of worthwhile retail. In the 90s the Clinton administration gave big companies tax credits for opening up businesses in run down urban areas. Pathmark opened up in Harlem. So did bank branches. Later on a number of new retail businesses opened up and now Harlem is getting a Whole Foods.

Fresh Direct used to not serve the Bronx, but after they got a huge tax credit to relocate to the Bronx (they got too big to for their LIC location) they then decided to serve the whole 5 boroughs-including the Bronx. Granted businesses have gotten more tax credits for opening up in the South Bronx which has gotten more overall development than other parts of the Bronx. But government policy is always there in terms of which areas develop and don't. Google has huge offices in Chelsea partially because of tax credits. Those developers who developed Williamsburg and LIC got huge government tax credits as well.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Of course moving to a neighborhood with amenities will cost a certain amount of money. We don't know the OP's financial situation or what he does for a living. Perhaps he cannot afford a better neighborhood.
And I'm not knocking him for not being able to afford a better neighborhood. I just dont understand the complaining when he knew first hand what the neighborhood had to offer. Or should I say "didn't have to offer"

Old 10-27-2015, 12:07 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
People who feel that City island is the place for good seafood have obviously never ate good quality seafood.

I use to hear people raving about Sammy's. I went there once and it tasted like they microwaved everything. Never again. The only place I can say that I've been to and has decent seafood is JP's.
I didn't like JP's at all.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:09 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Arguably, the Bronx has some of the best seafood in the city (City Island)
lol, yuck. I only like City Island due to the fact it has a New England like feel. City Island does not have the best seafood, its pretty mediocre. Seafood City makes me wanna puke. But hey you have to love the big portions that City Island gives.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
lol, yuck. I only like City Island due to the fact it has a New England like feel. City Island does not have the best seafood, its pretty mediocre. Seafood City makes me wanna puke. But hey you have to love the big portions that City Island gives.
Went to seafood city one time by accident. First and last time. I never knew a seafood restaurant (if you want to call it that) could be so ghetto!

Old 10-27-2015, 12:15 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Yeah City Island is way overpriced for what it is. But they give you a lot of food that I will say. I've been to many of the restaurants there and I've never been blown away by the food. But hey city island caters to a crowd looking for a quick getaway and a nice meal they aren't trying to win michelin's there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City