Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 10:54 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The entitlement of the underclass in NYC SHOCKS me!

Basically a poster has just said Chelsea should not have nice restaurant and modern grocery stores because good for nothing welfare bums in the projects (who pay not taxes and contribute nothing) allegedly might not like it

At this point I am glad NYCHA is going over properties to sell (maximum profits) and we know they will sell the Chelsea projects. Give the NYCHA residents Section 8 vouchers and put them in the Poconos. Which is what we know the federal government and NYCHA will end up doing.

When did say that? What happened to your ivy league comprehension skills? All I said is that NYCHA residents of Chelsea can not afford to take part in the urban renewal of the area due to affordability. And you're calling me an underclass? I'm sorry you hate my populism, but liberal scum as yourself and others is what is destroying this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 11:02 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
When did say that? What happened to your ivy league comprehension skills? All I said is that NYCHA residents of Chelsea can not afford to take part in the urban renewal of the area due to affordability. And you're calling me an underclass? I'm sorry you hate my populism, but liberal scum as yourself and others is what is destroying this city.
Liberalism isn't destroying this city. A big reason why this city has a tax base is because of the work of several mayors in driving the underclass away from valuable parts of the city, and encouraging businesses and wealthy people who can PAY taxes to move into areas that have prime real estate. Getting rid of freeloading poor scum who have massive and inflated senses of entitlement isn't the talk of bleeding heart liberals and I have never portrayed myself as that kind of liberal.

The NYCHA residents don't belong in Chelsea and need to be grateful for the opportunity to even be there while the opportunity is still there (because de Blasio thankfully has been privatizing NYCHA assets).

The city has a budget surplus now thanks to Bloomberg and what he did for business development, tourism, and even the expansion of academic institutions.

In all that who really gives a crap about NYCHA people who do not deserve to be in these neighborhoods.

Btw, it's not popular among the American masses to pay welfare and enable people to live in the most expensive neighborhoods. Most Americans as a whole would not care to support that. Your stance on the matter isn't at all populist, and is actually against working class people.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Liberalism isn't destroying this city. A big reason why this city has a tax base is because of the work of several mayors in driving the underclass away from valuable parts of the city, and encouraging businesses and wealthy people who can PAY taxes to move into areas that have prime real estate. Getting rid of freeloading poor scum who have massive and inflated senses of entitlement isn't the talk of bleeding heart liberals and I have never portrayed myself as that kind of liberal.

The NYCHA residents don't belong in Chelsea and need to be grateful for the opportunity to even be there while the opportunity is still there (because de Blasio thankfully has been privatizing NYCHA assets).

The city has a budget surplus now thanks to Bloomberg and what he did for business development, tourism, and even the expansion of academic institutions.

In all that who really gives a crap about NYCHA people who do not deserve to be in these neighborhoods.

Btw, it's not popular among the American masses to pay welfare and enable people to live in the most expensive neighborhoods. Most Americans as a whole would not care to support that. Your stance on the matter isn't at all populist, and is actually against working class people.
Wtf are talking about? The work Several mayors drove away the underclass? Several mayors ago the city had John Lindsay, became, Koch and dinkins, underclass called nyc home under these mayors including to some extent Bloomberg. 2 generations ago the tax base of the city fled to suburbia.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Wtf are talking about? The work Several mayors drove away the underclass? Several mayors ago the city had John Lindsay, became, Koch and dinkins, underclass called nyc home under these mayors including to some extent Bloomberg. 2 generations ago the tax base of the city fled to suburbia.
The tax base quite clearly came back to an extent under Giuliani, and expanded considerably under Bloomberg.

According to posters here, Koch did a lot of getting rid of SROs on the Upper West Side. Wonderful work. Even before Giuliani came to power, Dinkins had begun hiring more police officers to deal with criminals (the federal government paid for it). We all know what Giuliani did. We all know what Bloomberg did it.

So yes these mayors all deserve credit for checking in various way and ultimately driving out the underclass from parts of the city that have prime real estate.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:41 AM

Quote:
The tax base quite clearly came back to an extent under Giuliani, and expanded considerably under Bloomberg.

According to posters here, Koch did a lot of getting rid of SROs on the Upper West Side. Wonderful work. Even before Giuliani came to power, Dinkins had begun hiring more police officers to deal with criminals (the federal government paid for it). We all know what Giuliani did. We all know what Bloomberg did it.

So yes these mayors all deserve credit for checking in various way and ultimately driving out the underclass from parts of the city that have prime real estate.
You said several mayors. You need to back up your statements.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:19 AM

449 posts, read 495,380 times
Quote:
It's not true that the city can't nuture and create.

Poor minority communities in the suburbs and in rural areas (yes they exist) have similar issues for the same historical reasons.

And of course most recent immigrants unless they come from wealthy families cannot compete with established white families.
Recent Asian immigrants (however you want to define "recent") and especially their children from both poor, middle, and high income families are doing very well both academically and financially and are competitive in the economy.

On a side note: NYC has been under Democrat control for many years. Why hasn't the Democratic Party solved these "issues"? That too in other Democratic controlled cities like Detroit and Baltimore.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:35 AM

80 posts, read 47,099 times
Quote:

NYCHA residents don't belong in Chelsea? Why not? They were there before the neighborhood became was
'discovered and became gentrified'. Why should they leave the neighborhood because they offend all the rich people moving in? Where are they going to move to?

Old 11-13-2015, 09:38 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybelle View Post
NYCHA residents don't belong in Chelsea? Why not? They were there before the neighborhood became was
'discovered and became gentrified'. Why should they leave the neighborhood because they offend all the rich people moving in? Where are they going to move to?
They do not offend "rich people," they do offend the nouveau riche and wannabes.
You could ask where they obtained their cash ...
Perhaps they are a step from the projects themselves.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:29 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
They do not offend "rich people," they do offend the nouveau riche and wannabes.
You could ask where they obtained their cash ...
Perhaps they are a step from the projects themselves.
NYC is a special place in which the poor and the rich enjoy government subsidized funding while the working/middle class is expect to not receive any, hence making them bitter about it (while being heavily taxed).

Old 11-13-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybelle View Post
I never said they offend rich people. NYCHA residents are not paying for their stay in CHELSEA, an EXPENSIVE neighborhood. Therefore they do not deserve to have lifelong government subsidies to be in one of the most expensive places in the city.

So yes if they are not going to move up socioeconomically to be able to afford it, they should leave. Of course this is welfare data NYC where half the people are on government subsidies so I know what I'm saying isn't popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City