Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:28 AM

47 posts, read 271,009 times

Advertisements

There's a chance I might end up doing medical residency at Einstein Jacobi. From what I understand, an easy way to reach the hospital via public transit is to take the no. 2 train to Pelham Parkway, and then the BX12 bus. (The number 5 would work too except early morning service only begins at E180 in the Bronx whereas the no. 2 always runs from Brooklyn).

My two big questions are:

1) Will this be safe to do in the 5-6:30AM range as a single female?

2) Are there good safe + walkable neighborhoods along that route (the closer to a stop the better) I could live in with rents in the $1500-1800 range? I'd prefer 1 bedroom but can live with a studio.

I really liked the program when I visited, but I need favorable answers if I'm going to rank it highly. Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 05:46 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,697,478 times
you could take the 2 to 180th and transfer to the 5 and get off at the morris park station(closer to the hospital) which i believe puts you around paulding and lydig avenues, a good area. you could then walk to the hospital or take the 12(i don't know where the 12 stops along that that point however). taking the 2 to pelham pkwy would put you right at the 12 bus on wp road. you may want to consider living by the morris park station as it's a good area. i don't know rents in the area but i would imagine they are in keeping with what you seek.

the hospital area itself is a good area. at that early hour you should be fine. just use extra caution

Old 02-04-2008, 07:09 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,372,524 times
Yeah you'll be fine on the 2 at 5-6am, however what time will you be returning at night?

The 2 in the Bronx is considered to be one of the sketchiest neighborhoods in the entire city. Many people avoid riding on the 2 in the Bronx at night, if possible.

If you want nice neighborhoods nearby to that hospital in the Bronx I would look at places like Morris Park, City Island, Country Club, and Throggs Neck. Farther away places like Eastern Yonkers, Pelham, and the Fleetwood section of Mount Vernon are nice.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:29 PM

On regular days I'd anticipate returning no later than 8PM - otherwise I'll be on overnight call so I don't have to worry about going back late. The only exception might be some ER shifts, but I could live with paying for cab fare then.

Is the Morris Park area fine as far as walkable access to food? I don't need a zillion restaurants (will have to save my $ anyway) but some decent options + a grocery store would be needed. I didn't have time to check out the area much but it did look nice aesthetically.

Thanks again for the advice! I found a thread which said that the 2/5 route is one of the least pleasant unfortunately...but I guess if I can handle taking the subway to North Philadelphia, going through the South Bronx shouldn't be much worse.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:26 PM

I haven't been to Morris park lately but I do recall stores on Williamsbridge rd, and Morris pk Avenue. I know there's a few supermarkets on those avenues. I think it would be a pleasant experience

Old 02-04-2008, 04:27 PM

Eastchester Rd just north of pelham pkwy has some nice stores and shops

Old 02-04-2008, 04:59 PM

242 posts, read 927,196 times
You can find a very, very nice apartment in that price range in morris park or in pelham gardens (area between williamsbridge rd pelham parkway allerton ave and the hutchinson). Other areas to consider would be pelham bay, country club or throgs neck or woodlawn. You would definitely want to consider getting a car as the eastern bronx isn't particularly pedestrian friendly. The area around the hospital is very safe, but i can't say the same for the 180 st. station, and the 5 stop on pelham parkway can be alittle shady during off hours (i've heard stories but no personal bad experieces.

The whole east bronx is great for italian food but lacks variet. For nightlife the best bet in up on katonah ave.

You should enquire withe school about housing i'm pretty sure theres dirt cheap housing available on the campus on the corner of morris park and eastchester.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:31 PM

35 posts, read 182,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emroyka View Post
There's a chance I might end up doing medical residency at Einstein Jacobi. From what I understand, an easy way to reach the hospital via public transit is to take the no. 2 train to Pelham Parkway, and then the BX12 bus. (The number 5 would work too except early morning service only begins at E180 in the Bronx whereas the no. 2 always runs from Brooklyn).

My two big questions are:

1) Will this be safe to do in the 5-6:30AM range as a single female?

2) Are there good safe + walkable neighborhoods along that route (the closer to a stop the better) I could live in with rents in the $1500-1800 range? I'd prefer 1 bedroom but can live with a studio.

I really liked the program when I visited, but I need favorable answers if I'm going to rank it highly. Thanks in advance for any help!
You can definitely find an apartment for that price in the Bronx.

More importantly though, you should just get a car. I have friends who work at Einstein and drive to work. There's a lot you can park in. If you live and work in the Bronx, you should def. have a car so you can zip into Manhattan at night to enjoy the night life.

About the 2 train, I would def. avoid the 2 past like 1 AM. Honestly, the 2 passes through some of the worst areas of the Bronx and upper Manhattan. Without fail I see the craziest people/events/things on the 2 train (with a close runner-up being the A train). Oh ya, E.180th is the worst at night. It's deserted and doesn't seem too safe.

A car is the best option if you're doing a residency there...

Old 02-04-2008, 08:43 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,054,429 times
I personally dont find E. 180th to be THAT bad. If I am not mistaken, isn't that Morris Park? A lot of residential housing down a few blocks.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:28 PM

I did get the impression a lot of the residents have cars, which surprised me consdering it's NYC. My salary would be $54,500 so I don't imagine I could go very much above $1000/month as a solitary renter if I added that expense as well. (I don't have one atm since I live in Center City Philly). Is that still feasible?

btw, I also interviewed at Maimonides in Brooklyn and if I matched there, Park Slope would probably be a target neighborhood - what rental prices should I expect in that case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City