Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 06:01 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times

Advertisements

There must be a lot of nervous persons in Albany tonight!

In 12 years of political scandals in Albany, the last two weeks stand out - City & Region - The Buffalo News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 06:14 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
I used to think the trifecta of political corruption was New Jersey, Louisiana, and Illinois.

Now I'll bet on the superfecta: New Jersey, Louisiana, Illinois...and New York!

Old 12-11-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I used to think the trifecta of political corruption was New Jersey, Louisiana, and Illinois.

Now I'll bet on the superfecta: New Jersey, Louisiana, Illinois...and New York!
NYS and to an extent various local governments like NYC have a long history of being corrupt. Tammany Hall is a perfect example which has never really gone away. One of the reasons unlike say NJ local governments in NY have so little comparative power is again due to a history of corruption.

Sadly moving everything up to Albany has just concentrated the stink to that place. It is one of the reasons why NYS governors never really get anywhere on the national scene. Much of America considers New York State politics and politicians corrupt and morally bankrupt.

Andrew Cuomo had big ideas for 2016 and after forcing through NYS gay marriage he did seem like a serious contender for the liberal/progressive/Democratic ticket. His name however now is attached to ABC (Anyone But Cuomo) by his own party. Some but not all of this comes from the litany of recent scandals out of NY and the governor's own reaction. Stepping in and stopping a commission he himself at least said was wanted to clean up Albany was the last straw.

Then there are those persistent and pesky rumors that there is dirt somewhere on AC. The Feds have brought down two once powerful men in Albany, any bets they will make it three?

Old 12-11-2015, 06:34 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Greed.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:09 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Preet Bharara likely reads City Data!

Old 12-11-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Greed.

That and a major problem is lack of turnover in Albany. Governors come and go every two or three terms but state senators and assemblymen remain in one or both offices for combined periods of decades. Whenever you have entrenched power there will always be abuses.

Fact that even when caught state elected and appointed officials still keep their pensions and some other bennies lessens any sense of fear. It sort of like "heads I win, tails you loose".

Old 12-11-2015, 07:57 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
That and a major problem is lack of turnover in Albany. Governors come and go every two or three terms but state senators and assemblymen remain in one or both offices for combined periods of decades. Whenever you have entrenched power there will always be abuses.

Fact that even when caught state elected and appointed officials still keep their pensions and some other bennies lessens any sense of fear. It sort of like "heads I win, tails you loose".

Believe it or not you see the same thing in academic institutions - not at Columbia, but many others.
It's even kind of the rule rather than exception.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:35 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
I hope Cuomo is next. Those three tyrants proved what gun-rights advocates have been saying for years: corrupt governments want a disarmed, subservient populace so that can lord over us unchallenged. I won't be happy until Cuomo is where he belongs: dead or in jail.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:36 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Dump em all in the pen and throw away the key I say!!!

Old 12-12-2015, 05:50 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
There is one singular thing I agree with Trump on..and that Political Corruption...Politicians smooze with others ( like in the past Pork legislation to appear and gain votes)...Since then it's become behind closed doors conniving to gain personally..NOT for the people..but for personal gain!!!

Other than that..Trump exits out of my mind...LOL

I sure wish enough of these breeding manipulating politicians get called out..and I actually include Chris Christie into this..as he personally gained with his hiring so many now being investigated or charged,,,It's not enough to just say...Whoopsey...I had no idea...Christie as a former State DA knows full well how to VET someone...So call him out on his claim of ignorance...Anyway..just another Politician who compromises integrity for personal/professional GAIN!!

Bottomline..The more Politicians get called out..the better..regardless of their stripes!!! BTW~~ This disease..Is it catching???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City