Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:52 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,053,648 times

Advertisements

the victory parade for our super bowl champion giants (man, i can't get tired of saying that!) starts tomorrow at 11am from the south end of broadway, and runs northward up broadway to city hall. talk about a most unlikely celebration in the canyon of heroes - it's going to be crazy. can't wait.

i have a question for those who've attended previous victory parades in the relatively recent past (i.e. 1998-2000, 1994, etc): how early do i need to get down to the parade route to get a good spot to take it all in? 6am? 3am? 10pm the night before? do i need to camp out overnight to get a good spot?

i've never had the opportunity to attend a victory parade in person but am definitely not missing this one. it's been 17 years since the giants last won, and who knows when they'll win again? this playoff run was so unexpected yet was so satisfying - especially in light of the teams the g-men had to beat along the way. so i want to celebrate with my fellow giants fans this time around instead of being cooped up in an office building.

also, are they going to allow regular joes such as myself to wait outside of city hall to hear the giants players and coaches speak at the rally on the steps of city hall? because normally, the city only allows VIPs and those associated with the team to attend that rally. if we're allowed there, that's where i'd like to wait. but if not, what's the optimal spot along the route to wait for photographing/videotaping purposes? the beginning? middle? is a certain stretch of the parade route more fun? does a particular spot along the route offer better sightlines?

thanks guys, and LET'S GO GIANTS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 10:12 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,887,592 times
In the words of the immortal Ed Koch when asked about the 1987 Giants having a parade down Broadway after they moved to the Meadowlands:

“No way. If they want a parade let them march in front of the oil tanks in Moonachie, New Jersey.”

Old 02-04-2008, 10:16 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,644,824 times
^^^ lol. Trust me. MILLIONS of people will be at the parade (more like over a million). I'm going, I'm trying to be there at least by 6:30 AM. You know, TRY to get a half-way decend spot...

Old 02-04-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
^^^ lol. Trust me. MILLIONS of people will be at the parade (more like over a million). I'm going, I'm trying to be there at least by 6:30 AM. You know, TRY to get a half-way decend spot...
i totally agree!

is there a particular spot along the parade route where you're hoping to set up camp? or is it all the same? (see my earlier post)

Old 02-04-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
In the words of the immortal Ed Koch when asked about the 1987 Giants having a parade down Broadway after they moved to the Meadowlands:

“No way. If they want a parade let them march in front of the oil tanks in Moonachie, New Jersey.”
koch really handled that situation poorly by making a big deal out of nothing. i realize that he and others were upset that the giants "left" nyc, but the fact is that they only moved a few miles west to the suburbs - that's it. it's all the same region - and really, the giants' and jets' stadium situation is no different than how countless other pro sports teams such as the redskins, pistons, bills, cowboys, and arizona cardinals technically play in a suburban municipality outside of the city proper.

people on both sides of the hudson, esp. politicians with an agenda, like to play up the whole "ny vs. nj" rivalry, which is hogwash. it's really a city vs. suburban thing, but b/c nyc happens to be in a different state than nj - and b/c nyc happens to share the same name as its state - idiots like koch try to paint nj as a "separate" region, as if it's totally unconnected to the city, rather than accept the reality that the greater ny metropolitan area spans multiple states and suburban counties on both sides of the river.

what people like him fail to realize - or choose to dismiss - is that the "ny" in ny giants refers to the greater new york metropolitan area: new york city proper plus the suburbs. so it's totally legit for a team that identifies itself as "ny" to play in the state of nj, since it's all part of the same ny region.

any btw, there are no oil tanks in moonachie. but i get what koch was trying to say.

Last edited by pbergen; 02-04-2008 at 11:24 AM..

Old 02-04-2008, 11:22 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,644,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen
i totally agree!

is there a particular spot along the parade route where you're hoping to set up camp? or is it all the same? (see my earlier post)
Anywhere where I can get some pictures of the floats and the players. I know it's going to be hard, but anythig is possible.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Anywhere where I can get some pictures of the floats and the players. I know it's going to be hard, but anythig is possible.
ah man, i think it's going to be especially packed tomorrow. considering the giants didn't have a ticker tape parade after their super bowl wins in 1986 and 1990, plus the fact that this is the first championship for the team in 17 years, i'm anticipating that crowds will be lining up well before sunrise.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:10 PM

473 posts, read 1,673,216 times
I'll be down there as well. I know i'll get a spot. a good spot at that

Old 02-04-2008, 01:30 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,902,754 times
let me say this first, I LOVE THAT WE WON THE SUPER BOWL!!!!But am I the only one a little but disheartened that the parade is being held the same day as Super Tuesday and our primary. I think we have out priorities a little out of order.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:35 AM

842 posts, read 4,314,532 times
Lol I have an interview on Fulton St. at 9:30 AM tomorrow. It's probably going to be a sea of blue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City