Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 04:38 PM

593 posts, read 471,017 times

Advertisements

What i find crazy is that someone who clearly does not need public assistance for his housing is receiving it anyway. The entire system makes no sense. If the government must provide housing assistance, then there should be strict eligibility requirements, so it goes to those in need, not some random executive who had already agreed to a market-rate price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 04:41 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
No remorse for the landlord, no kudos for the tenant.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-11-2016, 12:13 AM

31,924 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
What i find crazy is that someone who clearly does not need public assistance for his housing is receiving it anyway. The entire system makes no sense. If the government must provide housing assistance, then there should be strict eligibility requirements, so it goes to those in need, not some random executive who had already agreed to a market-rate price.

I'll say this for the last time; what would you do if you found out you were being cheated? Because that is exactly what was happening, the LL lied or whatever and for about nine years the tenant was paying thousands more in rent per month than he should.

Now some of you *may* have an argument if the apartment had been advertised and rented at the legal rent of $832 or whatever, but that is not the case.

There is not a single renter participating in this thread that wouldn't have filed the same DCHR action if they found out their LL was over charging and the apartment was RS not market rate . And please spare me any of you saying you wouldn't; because I'll call you out right now as liars. Who in their right mind would pay >$3000 per month for an apartment when the legal rent should be around $800.

So what do you guys think the tenant should have done? Ignore the DCHR findings? Offer to move out of the apartment so someone else can get it at the new cheap rent? Epic Fail! If or when the current tenant leaves that apartment you can be sure the LL will not rent it again until he can figure out how to get the rent up. That and or the unit out of RS again but this time legally.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:27 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,254,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
I'll say this for the last time; what would you do if you found out you were being cheated? Because that is exactly what was happening, the LL lied or whatever and for about nine years the tenant was paying thousands more in rent per month than he should.

Now some of you *may* have an argument if the apartment had been advertised and rented at the legal rent of $832 or whatever, but that is not the case.

There is not a single renter participating in this thread that wouldn't have filed the same DCHR action if they found out their LL was over charging and the apartment was RS not market rate . And please spare me any of you saying you wouldn't; because I'll call you out right now as liars. Who in their right mind would pay >$3000 per month for an apartment when the legal rent should be around $800.

So what do you guys think the tenant should have done? Ignore the DCHR findings? Offer to move out of the apartment so someone else can get it at the new cheap rent? Epic Fail! If or when the current tenant leaves that apartment you can be sure the LL will not rent it again until he can figure out how to get the rent up. That and or the unit out of RS again but this time legally.
I hear you loud and clear, that crook LL got what he deserves. Who knows there might be more victums, and if there is
he deserves jail time. I'm glad the man defended himself and won...😃.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City