Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 04:30 AM

31,940 posts, read 27,048,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
True, they are. And I can see them expanding the introduction of such automated machines. But I say that people are miscalculating if they think that widespread introduction of automation will be accepted by leftists. No, if these chains go this way on a massive scale, expect leftist legislatures to push back how I stated earlier. They may get away with widespread automatic in conservative regions, but not in leftist havens. Note, this isn't to say that we won't see any automation in leftist areas. I just can't see widespread automation in these parts.

As for railroads: that's not why they went under for the most part; rather, its due to cheaper, more efficient technology becoming widespread. I really don't see the comparison with fast food (could never see fast food chains closing up shop in NYC because of minimum wage requirements . . . even if they have to raise prices as a result, they will still be some of the "cheaper" options around, and there is too much money to be made).
No, feather bedding didn't kill railroads on it's own, but it didn't help either.

If you look at the fast food market it is changing. Be it in response to federal and local government pressure or simple demographics the offerings and how they are presented are changing.

Will agree with you that the burger and fries American fast food chains pioneered and took worldwide aren't going anywhere. However they will have to adapt in terms of pricing their offerings and still be able to make money in NYC's ever increasing high cost environment.

Can see more corporate owned places opening up in lieu of franchises like Chick-a-filA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 04:34 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,239,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I think in my lifetime a big chunk of these jobs will be automatized. For example people will go into a starbucks with a whole bunch of kiosks. You order what you want and there will be a skeleton crew with a manager behind the counter handling order logistics. I think all of these wage raises is actually going to accelerate the process unfortunately.
Total automation of unskilled work is coming, and is going to lead to the creation of a huge permanent class of unemployed, who due to political necessity will then be supported by a guaranteed basic income. This 15 an hour min wage is nothing but the harbinger of that eventuality which will probably be in our lifetimes.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:07 AM

25,378 posts, read 37,110,432 times
I guess "few negative effects" has no meaning for those with an elitist agenda,

Old 04-20-2016, 11:39 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,998,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
Total automation of unskilled work is coming, and is going to lead to the creation of a huge permanent class of unemployed, who due to political necessity will then be supported by a guaranteed basic income. This 15 an hour min wage is nothing but the harbinger of that eventuality which will probably be in our lifetimes.
Why not automate all skilled work as well? Let's face it why should any organization have employees. Let everyone be I employed except for the CEOs. But oops there are then no consumers and therefore no economy. Laying off too many unskilled workers would painfully backfire.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:55 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,906,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Why not automate all skilled work as well? Let's face it why should any organization have employees. Let everyone be I employed except for the CEOs. But oops there are then no consumers and therefore no economy. Laying off too many unskilled workers would painfully backfire.
Skilled trades will be automated too if the technology is cost efficient.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:36 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,998,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
Skilled trades will be automated too if the technology is cost efficient.
Then everyone is unemployed and there is no system because no one has income and a society with everyone on welfare doesn't work.

Which really means layoffs from automation will be limited as the government and employers will be wary of social and economic consequences to trying to get rid of all employees.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:48 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,906,267 times
Quote:
Then everyone is unemployed and there is no system because no one has income and a society with everyone on welfare doesn't work.

Which really means layoffs from automation will be limited as the government and employers will be wary of social and economic consequences to trying to get rid of all employees.
I don't see the automobile and manufacturing industries abandoning technology and going back to assembling everything by hand. It's evolution at play. People will have to adapt to survive. We will see fewer unskilled jobs and more skilled jobs, perhaps more positions doing maintenance on the machines.

It sounds like you're advocating for businesses to unnecessarily spend money on labor (correct me if I'm misinterpreting you). It may be good for society to be able to give money to the less skilled people, but how do you justify it to businesses when they're not doing anything wrong?

Old 04-20-2016, 12:53 PM

779 posts, read 1,004,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Not fair to group social security in with those other programs. People that work pay into social security. It is an "earned benefit".
My fault, social security has nothing to do with it....

Old 04-20-2016, 02:29 PM

31,940 posts, read 27,048,330 times
Any sort of work that can be digitized in whole or part is subject to replacement by technology.

That being said that still leaves a number of jobs that while low skilled cannot wholly be taken over by technology. Home health workers, nursing assistants, fry/short order cooks, etc....

Then there are things that in theory could be replaced by technology but the cost of installing new is far greater than paying wages. Self parking car garages have been around in Europe and elsewhere for years now. However the cost of retrofitting new existing garages if often far more than continuing to pay attendants.

You cannot automate food delivery easily (all those Fresh Direct workers and guys on bikes/scooters) so either that service will increase in price to reflect new labor costs, and or will simply go away.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:49 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,504,042 times
Don't think that won't happen at some point also. Artificial intelligence is improving.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City