Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 12:28 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,632 times

Advertisements

Man, how times have changed. That street & 116 St were like a scene from Night of The Living Dead. The hollowed out junkies would wander around there looking for their next score with their ashen skin and zoned out stares. I remember being a rookie assigned to the subway station on 116 St one freezing winter night & going to the Silver Dollar Diner for a something warm to drink. The woman next to me ordered a hot chocolate and put around 8 sugars into it.... I couldn't believe my eyes.

Some of the buildings around there are beautiful and I imagined what they looked like their heyday... stained glass & chandeliers. Folks getting ready to go the Cotton Club or a stroll on 125 St.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 11:31 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,309,800 times
there's still junkies around there...last year i was helping a friend move (she lived on lenox ave and 111th street) and there were a few of em sleeping on people's stoops with their garbage.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-11-2008, 11:40 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,861,507 times
Quote:
there's still junkies around there...last year i was helping a friend move (she lived on lenox ave and 111th street) and there were a few of em sleeping on people's stoops with their garbage.
There are a lot of homeless people in this area, some are junkies. There are quite a few churches and charitable organizations in the area that help these people daily, so they try to stay close by these places.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:42 AM

oh thats why....i figured there had to be something like that around there....cause there was 2 much of them on what seemed like a nice block.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:26 PM

88 posts, read 530,537 times
I recently moved from W116th street (b/w Federick Douglas & Manhattan Ave)...not the best area. Lots of homeless, drug addicts and crazies for sure! There was this group of homeless/ addicts who "moved in" to our building's stoop! The set up a makeshift tent and everything. Unless your on the other side of morningside park...forget about it.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:35 PM
DAS

Quote:
Unless your on the other side of morningside park...forget about it.
They are up here too. You just see them out less in the day time. But at night its the same. St John the Divine, Riverside Church and some other churches on the other side of Morningside Park also aid the homeless. Don't forget the parks themselves are places for them stay, Central, Morningside and Riverside Drive Park. Even though the police will move them if they see them at night. There are caves and other hiding places in all of these parks. The police will leave them alone in those spots, because they are out of the public view.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:41 PM

307 posts, read 2,508,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

Please..... did you ever walk on Lexington btwn. 76th st. & 75th st.??? Do you know how many homeless people sleeping there infront of the church???

Old 02-11-2008, 12:56 PM

i haven't walked around there since i was going to hunter and thats about 5 years ago, but whats your point?

Quote:
There are a lot of homeless people in this area, some are junkies. There are quite a few churches and charitable organizations in the area that help these people daily, so they try to stay close by these places.
this is what DAS told me before, so i said ok so that explains the junkies on what otherwise seemed like a nice block to me. read the posts before this.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:39 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,632 times
Quote:
There are quite a few churches and charitable organizations in the area that help these people daily, so they try to stay close by these places.
Excellent point DAS. I think there are alot of neighborhoods that are exposed to this. The 57 st & 6 ave and 53 St & 5 Ave Subway station was always a haven for the homeless because of the nearby services for them & the fact that they are relatively warm stations, too.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:48 PM
DAS

baylovers, yes that is true. BTW are you really in Pawley's Island, SC? If you are it must be nice being there this time of year even if the weather is cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City