Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 03:41 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
Could you do it for a year in a 500 sq ft apt? Also, we are going to start trying for another baby towards the end of the year. My first trimester I was pretty sick, last trimester I was too big, so we have a little window to move and I just wouldn't want to move when I'm pregnant. All these factors make it so frustrating.
I would hold off on the second child until the debt was paid, then start planning for it after the move. You're looking for a bigger, better,space, and having another child at this point, while living in a mousetrap isn't exactly the best thing to do right now. It adds extra expenses onto what you've accrued as of now. What's the rush?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 03:43 PM

520 posts, read 843,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
I would hold off on the second child until the debt was paid, then start planning for it after the move. You're looking for a bigger, better,space, and having another child at this point, while living in a mousetrap isn't exactly the best ng to do right now. It adds extra expenses onto what you've accrued as of now. What's the rush?
Age. Turning 37 this year.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:46 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
The Bronx is a major downgrade from queens. It's QOL aint sh**. Don't do it. You absolutely should stay put, knock out that debt, and then move. Set a reasonable time frame to curtail the debt and then watch as your options open.
I don't agree. The OP will have to make up her own mind.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:55 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Pay down the debt, move to a nice area of Queens like Briarwood and save a couple hundred bucks in rent, examples in link:

2 Bed Apartments for Rent in Queens - 104 Rentals | Trulia

Then have the second kid. Tell ur husband to suck up the commute for a few years. After the debt is paid off start stacking up for the downpayment and buy a co-op.

-married father of 2 and mod of NYC forum

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-21-2016, 05:53 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
Quote:
We currently live in a 480 sq ft $2100/month apartment in Astoria with a 4 month old. I have resigned from my job and currently taking care of our son, taking another job is not an option. My husband makes $120k and we have $20K credit card debt. No snappy and judgmental comments please.
You are overpaying to live in Astoria, you can find 2BR apartment for $2,100 and below (especially if you avoid renting during the summer). You can check zillow.com to see rentals.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
You are overpaying to live in Astoria, you can find 2BR apartment for $2,100 and below (especially if you avoid renting during the summer). You can check zillow.com to see rentals.
It seems like most attractive neighborhoods charge no less than $2200 for a 2br. You pay exorbitant rents in Astoria because of its proximity to Manhattan and the restaurants, but it's certainly not aesthetically pleasing, it's like the Queens version of Williamsburg. So your suggestion is to move into a 2br that's equivalent or less?

Old 01-21-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Pay down the debt, move to a nice area of Queens like Briarwood and save a couple hundred bucks in rent, examples in link:

2 Bed Apartments for Rent in Queens - 104 Rentals | Trulia

Then have the second kid. Tell ur husband to suck up the commute for a few years. After the debt is paid off start stacking up for the downpayment and buy a co-op.

-married father of 2 and mod of NYC forum
How is Briarwood nice? I recall it being quite desolate. This plan you've outlined will require 5-7 years, I'm afraid of really disliking the area we live in for that long, especially since around 7 year mark our son will be old enough to go to school and Briarwood isn't quite good for that. If we could pay off our debt in 1 year and move before the year is up, this would be a good plan, but I'm just not sure if it'll work out that way. $20K is quite the sum. I just wouldn't want to get stuck, and then look for another place only to find that the rents have gone up even more, and buying is still not an option. But your plan sounds economically sound.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:34 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
How is Briarwood nice? I recall it being quite desolate. This plan you've outlined will require 5-7 years, I'm afraid of really disliking the area we live in for that long, especially since around 7 year mark our son will be old enough to go to school and Briarwood isn't quite good for that. If we could pay off our debt in 1 year and move before the year is up, this would be a good plan, but I'm just not sure if it'll work out that way. $20K is quite the sum. I just wouldn't want to get stuck, and then look for another place only to find that the rents have gone up even more, and buying is still not an option. But your plan sounds economically sound.
What do you consider desolate? It's mostly residential apartment buildings, not much commercial. But it's a low crime neighborhood, and PS 117 had mostly good reviews on insideschools.org:

P.S. 117 J. Keld / Briarwood School - insideschools.org

Plus the F train stops there, your husband can take that into the city and transfer to the 6. If you guys still feel like you need some nightlife, or to go out to have dinner, head on over to Austin Street which is not too far away in Forest Hills. Need to do some retail shopping, head to Queens Center Mall or Jamaica Avenue.

I stayed in my neighborhood and bought because I knew what was in my budget and me and the wife know the lay of the land already, having grown up out here - she's a SAHM too.

What are you looking for in a neighborhood? We don't have much dining options where we're at, but we're more of the cooking type anyway so that doesn't bother us. We don't go to clubs or anything, we'd rather throw a house party with friends and family. Really analyze your lifestyle and see what's most important to you and hubby before deciding on any area; I suggested Briarwood because of the affordability for your situation and the low crime rate.

Also, why don't you look into some online work from home jobs to cut down on the debt too...

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 01-21-2016 at 07:44 PM..

Old 01-21-2016, 08:24 PM

436 posts, read 564,791 times
If she's complaining about a commute from Astoria to the Upper East 90's then I doubt Briarwood would be very satiating. How long is your husband's commute as it is now?

Old 01-21-2016, 08:28 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
omg, directing all these couples with kids with big city fetishes to cheaper neighborhoods is essentially KILLING NYC. Does no one else see this!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City