Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 12:14 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
This thread has been off topic for a while already. The mod may come in and lock it up.

In 2017, the same topic will come up again. And then again in 2018 unless something change drastically. 9 Blacks and 14 Hispanics are admitted to Stuyvesant in 2016, stay tune next year.
Would it really matter if Stuyvesant went down to 0 blacks and 0 Hispanics? No one gets a good job based on going to even a top public high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 12:16 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Seems that way.

Me too (not surprising I'm sure).
All I'm advocating for is that everyone is measured using the same yard stick regardless of their skin or background. I could case less if you're rich or come from an educated background at long as you work hard to achieve something then you deserve it.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:18 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Praising? My b""t it's praising. Praising would be just that they got in and deserve it. Not making up stuff based on stereotypes for why they have some sort of special advantage because there isn't. And then using that as justification for why it's OK to discredit their achievement. E.g they're just robots, no creativity, etc. If you don't think that's racist then so be it.

Actually, plenty of non blacks are against stop and frisk, myself being one of tbem.

You're in minority or else there would have been outrage over this long ago.
I don't see people calling them robots or anything like that. We do think they got in because they deserve it, as they worked hard for it. To mention the cultural values that play a big part in this is not knocking anyone's achievement.

Quote:
There is only outrage because blacks made an issue out of it and black votes matter. I don't think it was done in the kindness of their hearts. But in the end its the results that matter.

When I got caught smoking a joint back in the 90s by a cop I was just told to throw it away. So I have no issues with people smoking it if they want to. But just watch the damage this will do to certain groups. Marijuana is an addictive drug that can have detrimental effects on people especially the youth. Somehow there's no one pointing this out. Legalize with caution. This can disportionately affect certain groups more.
Well the vast majority of the people speaking out against it don't hold political power, so that's not true.

Also, just because someone isn't vocal about stop and frisk doesn't mean they're in favor of it.

And what do you mean "certain groups"? Like marijuana use is fine for you, but not them?

Old 03-10-2016, 12:19 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
I'm well aware of the stuff you said in the first paragraph but it doesn't take away from my point of grad being different from undergrad in a handful of ways. I'd argue that most Ivy League schools are overrated for undergrad actually. They really shine as professional and research institutions.

As for the rest, not everyone at an Ivy League is some kind of spectacular student or person. Your experience with Cornell is as a grad student but mine is as an undergrad and there were plenty of people whom I wouldn't consider anything special, and I didn't even account for the legacies, athletic recruits, and people with other connections. Most people were simply well-prepared before they entered as students, which goes back to an original point of this topic about economic and social backgrounds of blacks and latinos.
Ivy leagues have been water down given their increase pursuit of trying to grab as much money as possible. Anyone can acquire a Ivy League degree if they are willing to pay for it. Ivy leagues have plenty of majors that are considered diploma mills. Many overseas Chinese are mocked on the internet for attaining a ivy league degree, while failing to gain admissions into the elite Chinese universities.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Ivy leagues have been water down given their increase pursuit of trying to grab as much money as possible. Anyone can acquire a Ivy League degree if they are willing to pay for it. Ivy leagues have plenty of majors that are considered diploma mills. Many overseas Chinese are mocked on the internet for attaining a ivy league degree, while failing to gain admissions into the elite Chinese universities.
When did Ivy Leagues ever not admit mainly rich people? You are aware that 7 out of 8 have been around since the colonial days and that the concept of financial aid is a post WW2 innovation? Originally financial aid was just for veterans. For non veterans the government decided to create pell grants and student loans in the 60s.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I don't see people calling them robots or anything like that. We do think they got in because they deserve it, as they worked hard for it. To mention the cultural values that play a big part in this is not knocking anyone's achievement.

Well the vast majority of the people speaking out against it don't hold political power, so that's not true.

Also, just because someone isn't vocal about stop and frisk doesn't mean they're in favor of it.

And what do you mean "certain groups"? Like marijuana use is fine for you, but not them?

And you must be living under a rock or just don't pay attention to Asian stereotypes or its your first time reading a thread like this. Guess you thought the Asian kids joke was funny at the Oscars.

I smoked weed in my teens and inner city kids tend to smoke more weed during their youths. Once it is legalized it will have detrimental affects from a health and mental hygiene perspective. That's what loreta Lynch said during her confirmation and I totally agree. And I was somewhat affected by it and will try to prevent my kids from doing it too early before college. And if you're a parent don't tell me that you don't agree. You're putting a lot of lives and future in danger especially those kids who don't have parents to intervene. My prediction is that less people will be arrested but more drop outs if its legalized. But all the focus has been strictly on minority arrests and trying to lower it.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 03-10-2016 at 01:27 PM..

Old 03-10-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
All I'm advocating for is that everyone is measured using the same yard stick regardless of their skin or background. I could case less if you're rich or come from an educated background at long as you work hard to achieve something then you deserve it.
You're really naive. If I want to rent an apartment in NYC, I have to show that I make 40 times one month's rent on an annual basis and I have good credit. Of course the landlord is legally permitted to discriminate on the basis of finance. They need to ensure that the tenant can pay.

If I want a mortgage to buy my home they are going to go over my credit history and current income to determine my ability to pay.

Of course if you have enough money you can just have your kids go to a good private school. Or if you live in a well off neighborhood, you'll have better local public schools.

Life is not FAIR. It never will be.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You're really naive. If I want to rent an apartment in NYC, I have to show that I make 40 times one month's rent on an annual basis and I have good credit. Of course the landlord is legally permitted to discriminate on the basis of finance. They need to ensure that the tenant can pay.

If I want a mortgage to buy my home they are going to go over my credit history and current income to determine my ability to pay.

Of course if you have enough money you can just have your kids go to a good private school. Or if you live in a well off neighborhood, you'll have better local public schools.

Life is not FAIR. It never will be.
What you're saying doesnt even conflict with what I said. If the 40 weeks is standard they just use that standard on everyone. If a black person shows up with that qualification you rent it to them same with any person of any color. But just don't tell me that the criteria is based on race.

Of course life isn't fair, lots of things in life happens by chance. But when things happen on purpose and its not fair then you speak up about it.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 03-10-2016 at 12:46 PM..

Old 03-10-2016, 12:53 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
When did Ivy Leagues ever not admit mainly rich people? You are aware that 7 out of 8 have been around since the colonial days and that the concept of financial aid is a post WW2 innovation? Originally financial aid was just for veterans. For non veterans the government decided to create pell grants and student loans in the 60s.
I came from an immigrant family and went to a tier 3 undergraduate university. For me Ivy leagues was always marketed as only the best get in and we would be lucky if we get 1-2 students in our class into one. I didn't realize it until I moved to Northeast and met some of them. It use to blow my mind that someone from Harvard who graduated with history major was doing the same job as me.

In addition, as I gain more seniority and became a part of the hiring process, I learned about the H-1B visas process. In order for foreigners to increase their chances of being hired many had to get graduate school degrees which led to this imbalance of foreign dominated graduate majors.

I am not saying there is no exceptional people who attend ivy leagues, but given a normal standard deviation the top 5-10% are driving the prestige of this universities.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I came from an immigrant family and went to a tier 3 undergraduate university. For me Ivy leagues was always marketed as only the best get in and we would be lucky if we get 1-2 students in our class into one. I didn't realize it until I moved to Northeast and met some of them. It use to blow my mind that someone from Harvard who graduated with history major was doing the same job as me.

In addition, as I gain more seniority and became a part of the hiring process, I learned about the H-1B visas process. In order for foreigners to increase their chances of being hired many had to get graduate school degrees which led to this imbalance of foreign dominated graduate majors.

I am not saying there is no exceptional people who attend ivy leagues, but given a normal standard deviation the top 5-10% are driving the prestige of this universities.
It's not only to increase their chances. In generally most people around the world cannot afford a private undergraduate education in the US. Hell most people here can't. So many of them do their under in their own countries and to advance their future they apply to grad schools here in order to try to get a job. Though increasingly many are opting to just go back to their own country if there is a similar opportunity back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City