Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 01:55 PM

5,123 posts, read 4,972,569 times

Advertisements

Like I have pointed out many times previously, when it comes to discussing education, mr riterdude is one of the best examples arguing against attending an ivy school. Cornell clearly did nothing improving his students in thinking logically and soundly, yet mr riterdude came out as a straight A student. how compelling that is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Most of all races can't pay for it and won't even apply.

This is sheer ignorance here. Ivy awards scholarships or waives tuition based on their family incomes. If you or your circle of contacts do not know about this, you definitely need to spread the word around so their academically qualified students won't get left behind out of cost considerations.

By the way, Ivy schools are expensive but not the most expensive ones. There are many 2nd and 3rd tier privates schools like NYC, Carlton, or even Trump Uni can cost more than the Ivies yet it does not stop students applying to/attending expensive schools.

Please know the topic of discussion better before spewing out nonsense arguments.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:07 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Like I have pointed out many times previously, when it comes to discussing education, mr riterdude is one of the best examples arguing against attending an ivy school. Cornell clearly did nothing improving his students in thinking logically and soundly, yet mr riterdude came out as a straight A student. how compelling that is...
And attends another Ivy League for grad school. And all you can do is hate Mr. "Genius". You and the other haters with no academic or professional achievements of your own.

You guys know next to NOTHING about education, yet you delude yourselves into claiming expertise. How could you know anything about education or issues within it when you don't have much of one yourself?

Old 03-10-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
And attends another Ivy League for grad school. And all you can do is hate Mr. "Genius". You and the other haters with no academic or professional achievements of your own.

You guys know next to NOTHING about education, yet you delude yourselves into claiming expertise. How could you know anything about education or issues within it when you don't have much of one yourself?

Why would I hate you? Usually I hate all sorts of criminals because they disturb the life of other good citizens. Occasionally I hate a few women who didn't give me a 2nd chance even though I felt I deserved one. Other than that, I do not hate "nobody".

Please explain why I am a hater in your perception.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:16 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
Quote:
I think he's great personally. Makes things interesting and he clearly has flipflopped a bunch of times just for the sake of being able to try to beat you in an argument. But if I don't agree with him I could give an F where he went to. It's also good to see another person that grew up in NYC that made it.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I think he's great personally. Makes things interesting and he clearly has flipflopped a bunch of times just for the sake of being able to try to beat you in an argument. But if I don't agree with him I could give an F where he went to.
I like him too but he gets a little annoying now and then when he carries on a discussion on the wrong side while sounding like an expert......I feel like giving him a little wake-up, that is all.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:22 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Quote:

I wouldn't consider myself a hater, but I do find this conversation interesting. I'd be interested in hearing your response to the following post:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/43309751-post250.html

Old 03-10-2016, 02:59 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I think he's great personally. Makes things interesting and he clearly has flipflopped a bunch of times just for the sake of being able to try to beat you in an argument. But if I don't agree with him I could give an F where he went to. It's also good to see another person that grew up in NYC that made it.
Grew up here ? Really ? What makes you say that ? Might want to reconsider.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:02 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
This is sheer ignorance here. Ivy awards scholarships or waives tuition based on their family incomes. If you or your circle of contacts do not know about this, you definitely need to spread the word around so their academically qualified students won't get left behind out of cost considerations.

By the way, Ivy schools are expensive but not the most expensive ones. There are many 2nd and 3rd tier privates schools like NYC, Carlton, or even Trump Uni can cost more than the Ivies yet it does not stop students applying to/attending expensive schools.

Please know the topic of discussion better before spewing out nonsense arguments.
Exactly.

And check out Stevens Institute of technology; also NJIT. Astounding tuition bills. How is this worth it.

Most people do know that you can obtain funding if you get accepted. That's not the issue.
It's not a part of the culture for certain groups, although even there, you will see that exceptional student who gets noticed in lower school and encouraged.

The idea that people are accepted at the top schools if they have enough money is sheer absurdity.
The rantings of a mad person.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:19 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Grew up here ? Really ? What makes you say that ? Might want to reconsider.
I'm just going by what he says, that he grew up in a middle class black family in JH. And I don't know enough about Jackson Heights from back then to question him. The only times when I ever needed to go to JH back then was during the late late 80s - early 90s when the only place to get imported video games was from this Korean store in JH.

And every one played video games back then not just Asians for those wondering. It was common to trade/borrow games in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City