Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 03:23 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I'm just going by what he says, that he grew up in a middle class black family in JH. And I don't know enough about Jackson Heights from back then to question him. The only times when I ever needed to go to JH back then was during the late late 80s - early 90s when the only place to get imported video games was from this Korean store in JH.

I recall hearing "born," not "grew up" - which are two very different things.

Sometimes there's a reason it seems like people do not know what they are talking about. Aggressive google searching can only reveal so much and most of it is useless without actual experience.

It's one of the big reasons this place became far less interesting. Too many trolls claiming to be "from" somewhere or "attending" some school but clearly no idea what they are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 05:56 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,654,092 times
Are there any kid from Success Academies get into specialized high schools?

Old 03-10-2016, 08:30 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I recall hearing "born," not "grew up" - which are two very different things.

Sometimes there's a reason it seems like people do not know what they are talking about. Aggressive google searching can only reveal so much and most of it is useless without actual experience.

It's one of the big reasons this place became far less interesting. Too many trolls claiming to be "from" somewhere or "attending" some school but clearly no idea what they are talking about.
Well most of the commenters here probably didn't live in NYC for more than 10/15 years so that wouldn't make him any different. So I agree googling NYC can only give you information that in many cases wasn't reality more than 10-15 years ago.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:28 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Well at least New York City isn't alone: New York match day: Public schools stop being diverse when they get selective and that' a huge problem.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Less than 0.4% Asian students in the district, but 15% in the best school. OMG.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
Less than 0.4% Asian students in the district, but 15% in the best school. OMG.
You've never been to New Orleans? According to many posters theres like one Asian Tutoring center for each child obviously. Either that or you should check the child beating stats there because they must be chaining them up and forcing their eyes open to memorize everything. Anyway if all Asians want to abuse their kids it's their choice, but kudos to those tiger parents. The "Other" and hispanics must be flat out cheating cause they don't have tutoring centers.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 03-12-2016 at 11:58 AM..

Old 03-13-2016, 10:38 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
Are there any kid from Success Academies get into specialized high schools?
Nope. But plenty of kids from "failing" neighborhood schools did.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:53 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Nope. But plenty of kids from "failing" neighborhood schools did.
Did the kids from Success take the exams in big numbers? Or perhaps they and their parents were content to remain at Success as Success has had very high test scores at it's schools?

Old 03-13-2016, 03:07 PM

As far as I know, Success Academies don't have high school. Their kids need to go somewhere else.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Did the kids from Success take the exams in big numbers? Or perhaps they and their parents were content to remain at Success as Success has had very high test scores at it's schools?
As far as I know I've never actually seen average scores for any schools including charter schools published for the new common core exams. Schools are judged on how many students pass not how many get 90s. And simply passing state exams doesn't translate into academics excellence. The only breakdown that I've seen is quartiles. And just getting into the first two quartiles is considered passing. Please post some resources if you've actually seen any average scores published.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City