Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 01:42 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Because with a Conservative or Libertarian or something a little further right, like neo-Nazi, you will be sure to get excellent health care at no cost to you. <Yes, that is sarcasm.>

At $11 an hour, you should apply for expanded Medicaid immediately. It will give you free care at any hospital in New York.
He makes too much for medicaid. Yearly his salary is $22, 880.
I've been in the income bracket before and its hard. But you should qualify for the essential plan with
obama Care.
Have you looked it up. Its for those that make under $23K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 01:48 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Because with a Conservative or Libertarian or something a little further right, like neo-Nazi, you will be sure to get excellent health care at no cost to you. <Yes, that is sarcasm.>
And in fact, apparently people have been helped, mostly in the lowest-income brackets and also - women.
I was intrigued by the fact that the rural poor have benefitted most.

Also, came across this:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...most.html?_r=0

P.S. I followed your lead and have put many people on "ignore."

Old 03-16-2016, 02:15 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
OP should be able to qualify for "essential plan." Go on the state exchange and fill out the application.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:16 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:

At $11 an hour, you should apply for expanded Medicaid immediately. It will give you free care at any hospital in New York.
To paraphrase Alan Grayson congressman of florida the health plan advocated by the right is "get sick and die quickly". The right has yet to formulate a credible alternative health plan.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:45 PM

484 posts, read 561,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
OP should be able to qualify for "essential plan." Go on the state exchange and fill out the application.
Yes, OP, you are wise to be asking these questions, and you've gotten excellent advice from NooYowkur81, livingsinglenyc and BugsyPal. As they rightly point out, you will qualify for your choice of any of the "Essential Plan 1" policies offered by companies like Empire Blue Cross and Blue Shield, United Healthcare, Affinity, MetroPlus, Health First, etc. Skip down to the details under "Essential Plans I and II," below.

Stan4, you asked to hear how to accomplish this miracle? We're New Yorkers -- we take care of our own. We're pro-work, pro-family and pro-health. Healthy people can work and pay taxes. We are VERY serious about taking care of our children, the disabled and the elderly. Let me know if you want resources for those folks, this list is mostly for working adults:

Income between $16,395 and $23,760? Comprehensive Health insurance, $0 Deductible, Month Premium: $0-20?
Essential Plans I and II:

1. Essential Plan 1: These are low-cost comprehensive, commercial health insurance policies (not Medicaid) for people who have an income between $17,821 and $23,760 (if single, higher if married or have a family). The plans are offered by companies like Blue Cross, United Health Care, Health First, etc. Your monthly premium will be $20, your deductible will be $0, and you can sign up at the NYS marketplace at any time during the year, you don't have to wait for Open Enrollment.

2. Essential Plan 2: If someone has an income between $16,395 and $17,820 (for a single person, higher for marrieds or those with families), they can also qualify for any of the Essential II plans with an even lower monthly cost of $0 with a $0 deductible. Again, offered by commercial health insurance companies AND you can sign up for these plans any time throughout the year as well (don't have to wait for Open Enrollment)

Here's a link to the covered services for both Essential Plans I and II: http://info.nystateofhealth.ny.gov/s...0Sharing_1.pdf

Your choice of plans is linked to what county you live in, and what companies (Blue Cross, United Healthcare, etc.) are offering Essential Plan coverage in your county. Here's the link so you can see options where you live: http://info.nystateofhealth.ny.gov/EssentialPlanMap

Link to start your sign up process: https://nystateofhealth.ny.gov/

3. Income lower than that? I've got savings and other assets I don't want to lose, but I need health coverage and have no or very little income

NYS Medicaid is available, again $0 monthly premium, $0 deductible. Got assets you want to keep? If you are aged 19-64, you don't have to worry about having significant assets. You can have unlimited assets if your income is below these levels and still qualify for Medicaid. You can sign up for Medicaid any time during the year, don't have to wait for Open Enrollment. But your income must be below these limits (when the page opens, you'll need to scroll half way down the page to the table with the purple headings for the income levels): Medicaid

Where to start signing up for Medicaid on-line: https://nystateofhealth.ny.gov/

4. My husband and I work, but we need coverage for our children. What options are there?
Child Health Plus is for children under 19, whose parents work AND for those who are on their own but are less than 19 years old. Parents can't get coverage for themselves through Child Health Plus, but they can buy sliding scale coverage for their children. Eligibility and Cost

Where to start the sign-up process for Child Health Plus: https://nystateofhealth.ny.gov/

5. I've got adult children on my coverage at work, but they don't have coverage on their jobs, and they are about to turn 26. What can I do?

In NYS you have the option to keep them on your coverage to age 29. That's a state law, and here's a link to an FAQ about it:http://www.dfs.ny.gov/consumer/faqs/...ge29_young.htm

Last edited by Inquring81; 03-16-2016 at 09:59 PM..

Old 03-16-2016, 08:54 PM

306 posts, read 283,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
I'm making $11 an hour can I get Obamacare and not have a $2,500-$5,000 deductible?

This meaning under any grade of Obamacare in NY will I have to pay a few grand a year before I get any coverage?

I'm single, I've got no dependents, no special circumstances and I'm very healthy.
I go to a city clinic with reduced rates by income but if I ever had to go the hospital I don't think it would be covered. Several days in a hospital could wipe out all my savings

How much you have in saving ?, is it more than 5K ?

Old 03-16-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax2222 View Post
What difference does it make how much he's got saved?

Old 03-18-2016, 07:12 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bax2222 View Post

There's the rub. I get a pathetic amount of Social Security, no pension, but have what some might consider "considerable" life savings, aka "resources," so I qualify for nothing.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:41 PM

106,683 posts, read 108,856,202 times
There isn't much in retirement linked to net worth except long term care using medicaid. Everything else is based on magi income. Aca subsidy , what you pay for medicare , long term capital gain rates and how much of your social security gets taxed all have nothing to do with savings , just income counts

Old 03-18-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
There's the rub. I get a pathetic amount of Social Security, no pension, but have what some might consider "considerable" life savings, aka "resources," so I qualify for nothing.
KefirKing:

As mathjak107 points out, most programs are concerned solely with income, not assets. In terms of healthcare benefits, the only programs that look at assets are Medicare Part D insurance plans, and Medicaid for those who are over 65, or blind or on SSD. I assumed that OP was younger than 65, not blind and clearly isn't on disability if he's working. In that case, New York State says that there is no limit on assets. As long as the person has an income below the Medicaid levels (less than $16,394 for a single person), they can keep all their assets.

A couple programs that may be helpful, and that don't carry asset limits:

Elderly Prescription Insurance Coverage (to help NYS seniors over 65 with drug costs) has an income limit of $75,000/singles and $100,000 for couples, and no asset limits at all. http://www.health.ny.gov/health_care/epic/

Medicare Savings Programs
These can pay the monthly fee for Medicare Part B, and some of these can pay for other costs as well (read the description for each). The program at the top of the page, Medicaid, does have asset limits, but the other five or six programs do not. They haven't updated the income limits for 2016 yet, but here's a link to the 2015 figures, and the two page application link is at the bottom of the page. http://www.health.ny.gov/health_care...ngsprogram.htm

Last edited by Inquring81; 03-18-2016 at 07:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City