Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 04:24 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax2222 View Post
LOL You are so RIDIDICULOUS , please give me a break . You are simply not a fan of Queens as a reason you over exaggerated things . Brooklyn is less affluent than Queens that's A FACT , there are more poverty in Brooklyn while the majority areas of Queens are middle class that's A FACTS . You have the south side and large parts of Eastern Brooklyn and central Brooklyn that are lower middle class and poor . You breathe easier in Queens than Brooklyn , Queens is less noisy , you find less ghetto areas in Queens than Brooklyn , less crimes these are FACTS. It is now that you see big investments are being done in some pats of Brooklyn like the downtown and some other parts while large parts of Brooklyn still need a lot of works .
The reality is that by some socioeconomic measures, Brooklyn performs better while by some socioeconomic measures; Queens performs better.

Brooklyn has a way higher median home price:
Brooklyn: $558k
Queens: $447k

Brooklyn has a higher percentage of college-educated people:
Brooklyn (%) age 25+ w/ a Bachelors Degree or higher: 32%
Queens (%) age 25+ w/ a Bachelors Degree or higher: 30%

Queens has ABOUT the same average INDIVIDUAL/PER-CAPITA income as Brooklyn:
Queens average per capita income: $26,580
Brooklyn average per capita income: $25,932

Okay true, Queens does have a lower poverty rate than Brooklyn:
Queens: 15%
Brooklyn: 23%

I've noticed that most people in this forum only focus on median household income. Yes, Queens does have a higher MHI than Brooklyn but MHI is not a good measure of affluence. Queens has more families and homes with more room for relatives or a grandparent whom may be working so of course household sizes will be larger thus resulting in a higher MHI: it doesn't reflect their actual affluence!

Example of how median household income is flawed: A struggling working class couple who makes a combined income of $70k and has four kids is considered more "affluent" than a single professional making $69k.

BTW: Honestly, I see Brooklyn and Queens on the same level; both boroughs have their good, bad and okay areas. Personally, the only borough in New York City that I would even touch is Manhattan. For what it's worth, yes I do acknowledge that Queens is generally safer than Brooklyn.

Sources-
Queens County (Queens Borough) New York QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau">
Kings County (Brooklyn Borough) New York QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau">

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 03-17-2016 at 05:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 04:59 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Personally, the only borough in New York City that I would even touch is Manhattan.
Difficult to own anything in Manhattan. You can own an affordable property in Western Queens with a 15-20 minute commute to central park.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:40 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,733 times
Default True

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Even crossing into Woodhaven from Brooklyn it is obviously less grimy.

There are plenty of young folks moving into Queens these days. But it is difficult for these posters to see that if they've never been to Queens themselves.
Crossing from B'klyn into Queens from any route there is a noticeable upgrade in the overall look and demeanor of the area. There are parts of Brooklyn that are nice looking but much more, actually most of Queens is nice. Even Jamaica ghetto areas aren't that bad looking compared to ghettos in other boroughs and Westchester county (Mt. Vernon, Yonkers). Nevertheless, Queens is the most boring borough to me (I used to live there) which may sound strange coming from a person who is not into night life or hanging out. It's just that Queens has no personality whereas Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island, and all sections of Manh do whether its' good or bad, at least they have one.

Brooklyn, for me, has the most residential vibe (used to live there too, I've moved all over NYC and the boroughs in my younger years). Staten Island is another borough that has a residential feel to me (only borough I haven't lived in at some point but I like visiting it).

OP, many posters have given you good advice. I'll add that if I were you, I'd only keep the car if moving to Queens, Bronx, or S.I. To own a car in the city or Brooklyn is to sign up for extra monthly bills because between trying to find street parking space even remotely close, the cost of parking, tickets (inevitable, I think they hire look-outs to text them as soon as your meter is 5 mins from expiring), alternate street parking rules, people dinging up your car when they are trying to parallel park in a space that is TOO small for their car, it's NOT worth it. Been there done that.

Stay away from living in NJ unless you work over there. Tolls are too expensive and NJ is very family-oriented not singles-oriented, and the traffic to get back to NYC is crazy all times of the day and night due to freeway construction, car accidents, or Holland Tunnel deciding to close one lane of traffic for NO discernible reason (especially on Sundays mornings). Midtown tunnel and GW Bridge are just "slightly" better but are still a hassle either getting into the city or leaving. Best wishes to you.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:43 PM

Default You meant the Bronx?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
aesthetic pleasing revolves around visualization. Queens is for the adventurer who seeks to experience what it is like to live in a 3rd world country without having to leave the US. The suburban area of queens that might be considered decent are not what young people seek when they come to NYC.
Exchange the word "Queens" for the BRONX and then you've got a point.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:45 PM

Default True

Quote:
You sounded so RIDICULOUS with your stupid comment . You definitely don't know all parts of Queens for you to write this nonsense. Some of the most beautiful areas in NYC are in Queens , EDUCATE YOURSELF DUMBASS
True. Some very beautiful areas!

Old 03-17-2016, 07:04 PM

306 posts, read 283,675 times
[quote=Klassyhk;43395285]Exchange the word "Queens" for the BRONX and then you've got a point.[/QUOT

LOL WELL SAID , what he wrote about Queens blow my mind

Old 03-17-2016, 07:08 PM

306 posts, read 283,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
The reality is that by some socioeconomic measures, Brooklyn performs better while by some socioeconomic measures; Queens performs better.

Brooklyn has a way higher median home price:
Brooklyn: $558k
Queens: $447k

Brooklyn has a higher percentage of college-educated people:
Brooklyn (%) age 25+ w/ a Bachelors Degree or higher: 32%
Queens (%) age 25+ w/ a Bachelors Degree or higher: 30%

Queens has ABOUT the same average INDIVIDUAL/PER-CAPITA income as Brooklyn:
Queens average per capita income: $26,580
Brooklyn average per capita income: $25,932

Okay true, Queens does have a lower poverty rate than Brooklyn:
Queens: 15%
Brooklyn: 23%

I've noticed that most people in this forum only focus on median household income. Yes, Queens does have a higher MHI than Brooklyn but MHI is not a good measure of affluence. Queens has more families and homes with more room for relatives or a grandparent whom may be working so of course household sizes will be larger thus resulting in a higher MHI: it doesn't reflect their actual affluence!

Example of how median household income is flawed: A struggling working class couple who makes a combined income of $70k and has four kids is considered more "affluent" than a single professional making $69k.

BTW: Honestly, I see Brooklyn and Queens on the same level; both boroughs have their good, bad and okay areas. Personally, the only borough in New York City that I would even touch is Manhattan. For what it's worth, yes I do acknowledge that Queens is generally safer than Brooklyn.

Sources-
Queens County (Queens Borough) New York QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau">
Kings County (Brooklyn Borough) New York QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau">
Queens is wealthier than Brooklyn period , that's A FACT. Google NYC more affluent borough to the less affluent and you'll see Queens is more affluent

Old 03-17-2016, 07:11 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Queens is wealthier than Brooklyn period , that's A FACT. Google NYC more affluent borough to the less affluent and you'll see Queens is more affluent
And we should care about this because ...

Or perhaps more appropriately, why should the OP care ?

Old 03-17-2016, 07:21 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,647 times
Quote:

By some metrics, Queens is more high class (median household income, poverty rate, safety) while by some metrics, Brooklyn is more high class (median home price, educational attainment) and by some metrics they are striking similar (per capita income). To say either one is more affluent or wealthy than the other is a huge umbrella statement that doesn't address the wide variety of neighborhoods and people that each borough contains. It's not that hard of a concept to understand!

But I will no longer debate this concept since both boroughs ultimately have good, bad and okay areas; both boroughs have rich, poor, middle and working class people; both boroughs have safe and dangerous areas; both boroughs have educated and uneducated people; both boroughs have nice and mean people, etc, etc; and last and finally not least... who really cares?

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 03-17-2016 at 07:32 PM..

Old 03-17-2016, 07:49 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Crossing from B'klyn into Queens from any route there is a noticeable upgrade in the overall look and demeanor of the area. There are parts of Brooklyn that are nice looking but much more, actually most of Queens is nice. Even Jamaica ghetto areas aren't that bad looking compared to ghettos in other boroughs and Westchester county (Mt. Vernon, Yonkers). Nevertheless, Queens is the most boring borough to me (I used to live there) which may sound strange coming from a person who is not into night life or hanging out. It's just that Queens has no personality whereas Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island, and all sections of Manh do whether its' good or bad, at least they have one.

Brooklyn, for me, has the most residential vibe (used to live there too, I've moved all over NYC and the boroughs in my younger years). Staten Island is another borough that has a residential feel to me (only borough I haven't lived in at some point but I like visiting it).

OP, many posters have given you good advice. I'll add that if I were you, I'd only keep the car if moving to Queens, Bronx, or S.I. To own a car in the city or Brooklyn is to sign up for extra monthly bills because between trying to find street parking space even remotely close, the cost of parking, tickets (inevitable, I think they hire look-outs to text them as soon as your meter is 5 mins from expiring), alternate street parking rules, people dinging up your car when they are trying to parallel park in a space that is TOO small for their car, it's NOT worth it. Been there done that.

Stay away from living in NJ unless you work over there. Tolls are too expensive and NJ is very family-oriented not singles-oriented, and the traffic to get back to NYC is crazy all times of the day and night due to freeway construction, car accidents, or Holland Tunnel deciding to close one lane of traffic for NO discernible reason (especially on Sundays mornings). Midtown tunnel and GW Bridge are just "slightly" better but are still a hassle either getting into the city or leaving. Best wishes to you.
Manhattan aside, I think Queens has the most personality of the boros. Its so deep in ethnic culture that I don't think the bland middle Americans can put a dent in our vibe the way they're taking over Brooklyn. Its easy to invade and conquer the hood, but the driven hard working immigrants are difficult to compete with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City