Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 07:20 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

There was a report on NBC News Online about a terrorist scare in Belgium involving attacks on nuclear facilities. The report included this blurb:
Quote:
There have also been concerns at the security of Belgium's creaking nuclear energy plants, including two 40-year-old reactors.
Many foreign governments — and some states, including California and New York — issue iodine tablets, which work by filling the thyroid gland and preventing the absorption of radioactive iodide.

Does anyone have any information about the iodine pills reportedly provided by New York? I have never heard anything about it.
It seems we should have them in our medicine cabinets BEFORE a nuclear accident rather than waiting for the state to distribute them AFTERWARDS.

It seems Switzerland is distributing the pills and Toronto, with 2 nearby reactors is doing the same. Indian Point is ANCIENT and long past its "sell by date." They were designed to last 50 years. Reactor 1 was shut down after 12 years. Reactors 2 and 3 passed their 40 year license a few years ago and are on an emergency extension.
It was just serendipity that the 9/11 plane going down the Hudson chose the WTC as a target rather than Indian Point where the explosion could have turned New York City into Chernobyl.

Iodine is the chemical equivalent of a Band-Aid but if NY is distributing iodine, like the report says, I want a bottle.

Last edited by Kefir King; 05-01-2016 at 07:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 07:26 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
There was a report on NBC News Online about a terrorist scare in Belgium involving attacks on nuclear facilities. The report included this blurb:

Does anyone have any information about the iodine pills reportedly provided by New York? I have never heard anything about it.
It seems we should have them in our medicine cabinets BEFORE a nuclear accident rather than waiting for the state to distribute them AFTERWARDS.

It seems Switzerland is distributing the pills and Toronto, with 2 nearby reactors is doing the same. Indian Point is ANCIENT and long past its "sell by date."
The state is not giving them out for free:

https://www.health.ny.gov/environmen...the_public.htm

In this sense, "distribution" means just having them available for purchase over-the-counter.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-01-2016, 07:38 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
What happens near where I live in Maryland:

Potassium Iodide Usage Instructions | Calvert County Health Department

Potassium Iodide for Residents Living or Working near Calvert Cliffs - Saint Mary's County Health Department

I'm not in the inclusion zone (although my oldest daughter is) so I don't know what they've done since 2014.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:43 AM

Thank you SF.

Gotta love:
Quote:
Despite FDA's approval to distribute it overthe- counter, the vast majority of pharmacies do not have it for sale over-the-counter

I also love how they equate: "will issue iodide" with "will SELL you iodide."

I guess a tablespoon of iodine antiseptic will do the trick.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:11 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
For a while they were distributing these in Yorktown heights which I near Indian point. You have more to worry about the transfer station near your home than a nuclear leak.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
For a while they were distributing these in Yorktown heights which I near Indian point. You have more to worry about the transfer station near your home than a nuclear leak.

You may be right, but I'm at Third Avenue so the crap station is not super close. What will be a pain in the ass is the increased truck traffic. The garbage spills may befoul the East River but I doubt it will be a health risk for me. The big noise will come from those in $utton Place who will have to look at a river filled with grocery bags, cans, and bottles. UN delegates may get an eyefull too.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:31 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
King, I was buying iodine tablets long ago. Don't bother with tracking down the NYC office - or, wait! Here's an idea: Call 311, ask, and then report back to us about their cluelessness.

But, back to your question: Just buy them yourself. They're not expensive. Track down a company called Annex, and look for Iosat. It's a local New York guy who started this on his own, decades ago.

I agree about serendipity - maybe I'll start a separate thread about that.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:51 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
I take liquid iodine everyday (not for this purpose but as I do not get enough in my diet). A bottle will cost like $10-15. will last you a year if you use it everyday.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:35 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
The survival forum should be able to tell you where to get it.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:12 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
My friend lived near Three Mile Island in the 1970s. Stuff happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City