Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 11:14 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,259,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I'm surprised LES is still considered gentrifying. I feel like it's pretty much already there albeit it doesn't look as modern nor is as clean as some of the other neighborhoods on this list.
The deeper parts of LES (ie furthest from trains) haven't fully gentrified yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 12:20 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,326,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
Ummm once upon a time meaning just a few decades ago, pretty much all of Brooklyn PUBLIC schools were crap. Brooklyn was crime central even Williamsburg. So I think you are pretty much bias by your own perceptions
Yep, and decades ago I would have stayed clear of pretty much all of Brooklyn (except a few select neighborhoods in which Williamsburg would not have been one of them). Back then everyone was moving to the suburbs. Why? Because of the schools. When these so-called gentrifiers have kids of school age, they'll likely do the same if they cannot afford private school.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I'm not racist. You're just being dishonest. The schools being too ****ty and the crime being too high in all those neighborhoods is really because there are too many Black people for your tastes (not the gentrifiers tastes though). The only neighborhoods gentrifying neighborhoods you liked where the ones that have never had any substantial Black population.
You can honestly tell me that schools in these neighborhoods are just as good, and crime just as low, as that of the average NYC neighborhood. You're nothing but a racist fool that thinks black people should just go on excepting this. The neighborhoods that I liked were never really ghetto in the first place, so it makes sense for them to be acceptable to me because it is not acceptable for me to raise my kids in the ghetto just how your parents determined it was not acceptable to raise you in the ghetto. I wouldn't recommend people of any race to raise their kids in these neighborhoods until these neighborhoods can provide adequate services to them you bigot.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromageball View Post
Crime?! lol...I live in Hamilton Heights and I feel much safer here than almost anywhere else in the city. Definitely safer than any of the neighborhoods listed in Brooklyn - used to live in one of them as well. I think I saw a crime map recently and it was pretty low up here compared to other areas.

Also this area is pretty rapidly changing. When I first moved up here a few years ago, if anything it looked a little seedy and I had to assure people that they were safe when they came up to visit. I guess it is still a little gritty but no worse than other areas of the city.

I do have a couple of ghetto neighbors I would be happy to see get 'gentrified out' - except that if they do leave it will be them getting evicted because they don't know how to act and conduct themselves in apartment living.
I don't really know much about Hamilton Heights, but have heard good things. How are the schools?

Old 05-10-2016, 01:01 PM

85 posts, read 87,340 times
I'm in Greenpoint. Sigh.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:10 PM

12 posts, read 17,242 times
The millionaire class is just pushing the middle class out of the city centers and then gentrifying their neighboords with large constructions, pays to be rich in AMerica

Old 05-10-2016, 01:23 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,500,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I'm surprised LES is still considered gentrifying. I feel like it's pretty much already there albeit it doesn't look as modern nor is as clean as some of the other neighborhoods on this list.
I agree. I don't think there's anywhere in Manhattan South of Harlem that isn't gentrified, except for maybe certain blocks directly bordering NYCHA like Avenue D.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:12 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,003,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You can honestly tell me that schools in these neighborhoods are just as good, and crime just as low, as that of the average NYC neighborhood. You're nothing but a racist fool that thinks black people should just go on excepting this. The neighborhoods that I liked were never really ghetto in the first place, so it makes sense for them to be acceptable to me because it is not acceptable for me to raise my kids in the ghetto just how your parents determined it was not acceptable to raise you in the ghetto. I wouldn't recommend people of any race to raise their kids in these neighborhoods until these neighborhoods can provide adequate services to them you bigot.
Well Upper Manhattan has Columbia University, City College, Mount Sinai Medical School. Due to the academic institutions there are plenty of services, and the people who chose to work and live near those places have better school options in THOSE neighborhoods (there are special schools where university faculty and other professionals send their kids if they live in the area), so it's not like they are all going to "bad" schools.

Of course due to your own bias you can't see that.

As for your recommendation that nobody of any race raise their children there, that's just plain dumb and irrational. You want to empty all of these neighborhoods, public housing including into your marvelous Glendale? If they are just jumped into other neighborhoods, those neighborhoods will become equally despised ghettoes by you because you don't like the demographics. Clearly people have to raise their children somewhere, and people can't all live in neighborhoods you APPROVE of.

I also didn't even mention all of the hospitals and government offices and k-12 jobs in Harlem. To claim Upper Manhattan is all bad is just plain ridiculous. And to claim no one should raise children here is just silly. Some of the charter schools here have done very well.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:26 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,149,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Yep, and decades ago I would have stayed clear of pretty much all of Brooklyn (except a few select neighborhoods in which Williamsburg would not have been one of them). Back then everyone was moving to the suburbs. Why? Because of the schools. When these so-called gentrifiers have kids of school age, they'll likely do the same if they cannot afford private school.
So you really think the "gentrifiers" are just young college kids? Young kids aren't buying the brownstones in bed stuy, fort green/Clinton hill, Bushwick etc. many are professionals with families or having families. If you can afford the housing prices in Brooklyn you can most likely afford private school.

But besides that there was a mass exodus to the suburbs from the city not because of school theoretically. Google "White Flight", black people and other ethnicities starting moving into the city that's why they all fled. Bad schools were an after effect of home values decreasing and funds being removed from minority neighborhoods

Old 05-10-2016, 04:33 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,500,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
So you really think the "gentrifiers" are just young college kids? Young kids aren't buying the brownstones in bed stuy, fort green/Clinton hill, Bushwick etc. many are professionals with families or having families. If you can afford the housing prices in Brooklyn you can most likely afford private school.

But besides that there was a mass exodus to the suburbs from the city not because of school theoretically. Google "White Flight", black people and other ethnicities starting moving into the city that's why they all fled. Bad schools were an after effect of home values decreasing and funds being removed from minority neighborhoods
I'm sure the majority of them will send their kids to public school anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City