Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:02 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,315,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
You're talking about (1) lawyers with kids/spouses, (2) Wall Streeters who are here because they want that lifestyle, and (3) engineers who grew up here.
(1) Not necessarily lawyers with kids/spouses though some are. A few are bachelors who date a lot while, egad, living in a brownstone in Brooklyn. (2) Your original argument was that nobody as professional as an engineer would want the outer boros, now you acknowledge that some Wall Streeters want to live there but somehow they're dismissed as "wanting that lifestyle." (3) It's a fact that not everyone with a white collar job, regardless of whether they grew up here, feels the need to live in Manhattan. We have 20-somethings on here with jobs similar to that of engineer who live in Brooklyn, have active dating lives, and are quite happy with that choice.

Quote:
Those people don't mind living in the Wasteland because they are DIFFERENT from a single, 25 year old from Austin, TX.

I doubt there are any 25 year olds who have Fort Greene in mind when they are contemplating moving to NYC.
I understand full well that living in Queens might be more of a letdown for someone who moved from Austin to experience a starry-eyed version of NYC than for someone who grew up in Queens. But anyone who has done enough research do justify the big step of moving here knows the deal with the cost of Manhattan, and accordingly a lot 25 year-olds do have Fort Greene in mind when they are moving to NYC. Read this forum and you'll see plenty of questions from 25 year-olds asking about Fort Greene, Park Slope, Astoria. To a ton of 20-somethings around the country, Williamsburg represents the hippest scene anywhere. Smith St. is wall-to-wall bars with 20-somethings. The idea of 20-somethings moving to the outer boroughs, and Brooklyn in particular, is not new.

Quote:
A 25 year old contemplating moving to NYC is NOT thinking of eastern Queens.

I think most young men would prefer hot, friendly, educated Austin chicks over LI/Queens receptionists with a New Yawk accent.
While I do think plenty of 25 year-olds are contemplating Fort Greene, etc, and if they aren't they're in for a rude awakening unless they can afford Manhattan, I agree that few are moving to find the "NYC" experience in Eastern Queens. I was just saying that you have no basis for the generalization that there are "no single chicks" in such areas.

I have no issue with Austin, I like Austin. There are cute girls but frankly I don't like the Texas accent and the phony friendliness. Not everyone on LI or in Queens is a receptionist. My cousin has lived her whole life on Long Island and is an architect. Her sister works as an analyst for Citgroup in Queens. If the guy likes Austin girls better than LI girls, that's fine. I never told the guy he had to live on Long Island and I don't care if he stays in Austin; that's his decision. I just don't agree with your "Manhattan is the only place in NY you can be unless you're an idiot with big hair" attitude. It insults most of the people on here and most of the people I know.

Quote:
Sure, Manhattan has its flaws. But you are crazy if you think Queens, Long Island, Staten Island, etc. are better places than Austin, TX for a young single man seeking a good quality of life.

You need to get out and visit other cities.
Again, I've been to Austin and I like it. I understand why a 25-year old might have more fun there than in some parts of New York. I even understand why it would be more fun than Manhattan, frankly. Personally I wouldn't live there (would rather live in Queens) but that's just my preference. That does not make me crazy, just don't have any particular connections there and not a fan of anything Texas (though Austin is the best of Texas). I do hear what you're saying; LI, SI, etc. are a very different scene from Manhattan and if the person's not into that scene, they might do better staying in Austin.

Here's the thing: You make these blanket statements on here and from them I can glean that your view of NYC is (1) Manhattan, which is fun but where all the cute girls are taken care of by rich daddies and disdain you for having a job, and (2) the rest of it, where receptionists and others you deem losers congregate with their Noo Yawk accents and there is no social life worth mentioning. No wonder you're not happy here. Maybe you need to get out and live in another city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 11:02 AM

34,154 posts, read 47,390,083 times
first off if you're looking to continue work as an engineer in nyc, look into getting licensed with the state of ny 1st.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-15-2008, 11:07 AM

274 posts, read 1,109,587 times
[quote=holden125;2836371
I understand full well that living in Queens might be more of a letdown for someone who moved from Austin to experience a starry-eyed version of NYC than for someone who grew up in Queens.

[B]Queens (and the outer boroughs) is definitely a letdown compared to someone coming from Austin, and many, many other better places.[/b]

Austin: Very low cost of living, great nightlife, almost non-existent crime, great universities, high % of educated people, great weather, lots of tech jobs.

Queens: High cost of living, no nightlife, urban crime levels, high % of uneducated people, pollution, bad weather, commuting can suck, few tech jobs.

But anyone who has done enough research do justify the big step of moving here knows the deal with the cost of Manhattan, and accordingly a lot 25 year-olds do have Fort Greene in mind when they are moving to NYC. Read this forum and you'll see plenty of questions from 25 year-olds asking about Fort Greene, Park Slope, Astoria. To a ton of 20-somethings around the country, Williamsburg represents the hippest scene anywhere. Smith St. is wall-to-wall bars with 20-somethings. The idea of 20-somethings moving to the outer boroughs, and Brooklyn in particular, is not new.

No one from Austin, or even Baltimore, is clamoring to move to Queens or Brooklyn.

For the most part, people in Queens or Brooklyn are there because they are provincial types who have family there. Or they are Manhattanites who have been squeezed out.

Few professional 25 year olds move across the country with the outerboroughs in mind.

The sprinkling of 20-something faux hipsters that you mention end up spending most of their time in Manhattan anyway.

I was just saying that you have no basis for the generalization that there are "no single chicks" in such areas.

Again, the 20-something single chicks who grew up in the outerboroughs end up moving to Manhattan, spending their weekends in Manhattan, or altogether leave for places like... Austin.

The was an MTV documentary about girls trying to leave SI.

Again, I've been to Austin and I like it. I understand why a 25-year old might have more fun there than in some parts of New York. I even understand why it would be more fun than Manhattan, frankly. Personally I wouldn't live there (would rather live in Queens) but that's just my preference. That does not make me crazy, just don't have any particular connections there and not a fan of anything Texas (though Austin is the best of Texas).

Like I said, you are typical Queens. You're in Queens because you were born there or have family there.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:58 AM

288 posts, read 1,192,359 times
Okayy. I grew up in Texas. Let me put it this way: I'm perfectly happy living in the outer boroughs, currently Brooklyn.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:15 PM

274 posts, read 1,109,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrres View Post
Okayy. I grew up in Texas. Let me put it this way: I'm perfectly happy living in the outer boroughs, currently Brooklyn.
Of course Brooklyn, or any other urban place, is going to preferable to some random town in Texas. I assume you are from Podunk? Lots of people living in NYC are from Podunk.

Comparing Austin, TX to Texas is like comparing NYC to New York state.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:59 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,315,509 times
Quote:
Queens (and the outer boroughs) is definitely a letdown compared to someone coming from Austin, and many, many other better places.

Austin: Very low cost of living, great nightlife, almost non-existent crime, great universities, high % of educated people, great weather, lots of tech jobs.

Queens: High cost of living, no nightlife, urban crime levels, high % of uneducated people, pollution, bad weather, commuting can suck, few tech jobs.
It is a matter of preference, but there are plenty of people who'd rather live in Brooklyn than in Austin. I understand the advantages of a place like Austin but you're completely disregarding the fact that Brooklyn rents have gone through the roof with young people from away moving in.

Quote:
No one from Austin, or even Baltimore, is clamoring to move to Queens or Brooklyn.

For the most part, people in Queens or Brooklyn are there because they are provincial types who have family there. Or they are Manhattanites who have been squeezed out.

Few professional 25 year olds move across the country with the outerboroughs in mind.

The sprinkling of 20-something faux hipsters that you mention end up spending most of their time in Manhattan anyway.
Flat out false. The biggest phenomenon in NYC in the past 20 years has been the almost complete takeover of northwestern Brooklyn by young professionals from other parts of the country. This is a well-documented phenomenon and plenty of people are going straight to Brooklyn from all over the country. They are not displaced Manhattanites, they've been told back home that Brooklyn is hip. David Beckham named his kid Brooklyn, for Christ's sake.

A lot of the faux hipsters barely set foot in Manhattan since they have their own little universe in Williamsburg. It's hardly a sprinkling, if you had ever gone there you'd have seen that.

Quote:
Again, the 20-something single chicks who grew up in the outerboroughs end up moving to Manhattan, spending their weekends in Manhattan, or altogether leave for places like... Austin.

The was an MTV documentary about girls trying to leave SI.
Well, if it was on MTV then it's official. What are you, 15 years old? Just because there are some people who move to Manhattan or Austin does not mean that everyone does. Go out to Smith Street, Park Slope, Astoria, or Forest Hills and you'll find single women hanging out in places there.

Quote:
Like I said, you are typical Queens. You're in Queens because you were born there or have family there.
You don't have a clue about me. I was not born in Queens, did not grow up in Queens, and have no family in Queens though I do have family scattered around the other parts of NY you don't like, the ones where most of the real New Yorkers live. I grew up in Boston. I've lived in 5 states (been to 45) and 2 foreign countries (been to 27) and have been in NYC for much of the past 15 years. The first place I lived here was in Brooklyn, and since then I've lived in five different neighborhoods in Manhattan and Brooklyn. I moved to Queens 10 days ago, and I'd never even spent the night in Queens until I did so. I am not provincial in the least and I'm sure as hell not displaced from Manhattan. I can afford Manhattan but I made a conscious choice that I'd rather get more space for less money, not have traffic noise outside my window at 2 AM, and not be surrounded by people with the snotty attitude you're exhibiting. The only reason I'm wasting my time with this is that it pisses me off when you make categorical statements about places you don't know much about.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:12 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,064,095 times
No, you cant. You can't handle the truth!

Old 02-15-2008, 01:49 PM

181 posts, read 867,143 times
This is a simple question with a simple answer: Did you go to the University of Texas? If you did, then the answer is no, you can't handle it. (Aggie here)

You tell him Holden. I love it when people think that people who have $ are the ones who show it off and/or live to the max of their means. Some people just don't get the concept that even if you do make good money (and I know Holden does), that doesn't mean you have to live at the seams of your means. I'm an attorney myself (albeit a new and young one) and will likely make a comfortable living in my life. However, some of us are educated enough to know that the way you build TRUE wealth isn't by living to the max and chaching it up like a dewshbag throwing your gold-plated money clip around the room. Maybe one day this guy will pick up a copy of "The Millionaire Next Door" and realize that people who are ACTUALLY successful don't have to flaunt it. Only insecure dewshbags do that.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:22 PM

70 posts, read 421,577 times
"You're talking about (1) lawyers with kids/spouses, (2) Wall Streeters who are here because they want that lifestyle, and (3) engineers who grew up here.

Those people don't mind living in the Wasteland because they are DIFFERENT from a single, 25 year old from Austin, TX.
I doubt there are any 25 year olds who have Fort Greene in mind when they are contemplating moving to NYC. "

I cannot disagree more! Have you been to Fort Greene lately- or Park Slope, or Brooklyn Heights. There is so much going on- and Tons of single 25 yr. olds. "wasteland"?!?!?! What do you recommend him to move to suburban LI, or NJ?!?!? yeck. Brooklyn is super Hip, and so is some parts of Queens....and most of the youngsters moving there would prefer to live in the boroughs any day over manhattan. Manhattan is just so Touristy...bridge and tunnel. When my friends and I go out...we never think to go to Manhattan....there is a plethora of places in Brooklyn at your fingertips.

Last edited by gdowler; 02-15-2008 at 02:30 PM..

Old 02-15-2008, 03:21 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,639,362 times
Brooklyn and Queens have tons of "hip" nabes. Though, Ace will brush of Brooklyn and Queens as a whole because, lets face it: REAL New Yorkers live there. Not the fantasy Sex and the City lifestyle you'll see in parts of Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City