Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 01:49 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,611,310 times

Advertisements

I would say have your friend check out places. The downside is here the market is so fierce, you have to jump on something right away if you want it. By the time he sends you the pictures and asks what you think, someone else could have already put in an application. It's that brutal.

Your best bet might be to sublet a place for a few months and try to find something while you're here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 01:51 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
There are many other good neighborhoods that are an easy commute to Chelsea and offer more bang for your buck.

Have you looked in Queens yet?

Old 05-13-2016, 02:21 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,118 times
$2500 is tight for the West Village without roommates. Will not get you anything more than a studio, and not a particularly glamorous one. The West Village is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in NYC. Definitely of your presented options, the West Village is the fanciest and most high-end. More 30-somethings than 20-somethings because of the prices. Shops are mostly high-end boutiques, fancy restaurants, etc.

$2500 will go a bit further in the East Village, where it could get you a smaller one bedroom as well, or even a larger one bedroom as you get to Avenue C or so (but you're very far from the subway at that point). The East Village looks somewhat grittier (though still quite safe) and has a much larger bar scene. Restaurants are more mid-range than high-end, and retail tends to the hipster side of things, though still pricey. Heavy on the 20-somethings.

"Brooklyn" is huge and not easily encapsulated in one summary. Certain neighborhoods (Dumbo) are nearly as expensive as the West Village. Williamsburg is similar to the East Village but slightly less expensive. Other neighborhoods, such as Cobble Hill or Fort Greene, are like less expensive versions of the West Village in culture (more mature, more families, fewer bars but still very much yuppie). Then there are many neighborhoods beyond where the typical transplants roam in southern and eastern Brooklyn that are much less expensive to downright cheap, though in some cases (especially eastern Brooklyn) also have a lot of poverty and high crime rates. $2500 is doable for a one bedroom everywhere in Brooklyn except maybe Dumbo.

You can't look for apartments more than 1.5-2 months in advance in NYC. They just won't be on the market for your move-in date yet. You also have to be ready to pounce within 12-24 hours of seeing a place.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:31 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
If you don't have much in my space requirements, then have you considered Chelsea itself so you can have a short walk to work? It'll be about the same in price as West Village anyhow. You would save on metro fare and a lot of time as well as as spare yourself the rush hour squeeze while commuting.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:15 PM

13 posts, read 24,998 times
Thanks all for your feedback. I'm definitely ready to pounce within 12-24 hours based on what I have been reading and your comments. Space wise, I literally am only bringing a little folding table, my full size mattress, computer, small tv, and an Ikea dresser.

I didn't really consider Chelsea simply because I was reading a lot of "Best Neighborhoods in NY" articles, and a lot say that is super yuppie and not a good balance between hip/fun. All of this is of course subjective.

I am a homebody back here in LA, but I do love arts/parks/sights. I do go out to eat very frequently though as a solo diner, fast food and yuppie food. It would be great to blend with the other middle class people in the area though, but it seems like neighborhoods dont matter too much in that regard unless people dont go from 1 neighborhood to another.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:37 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dybionr View Post
Thanks all for your feedback. I'm definitely ready to pounce within 12-24 hours based on what I have been reading and your comments. Space wise, I literally am only bringing a little folding table, my full size mattress, computer, small tv, and an Ikea dresser.

I didn't really consider Chelsea simply because I was reading a lot of "Best Neighborhoods in NY" articles, and a lot say that is super yuppie and not a good balance between hip/fun. All of this is of course subjective.

I am a homebody back here in LA, but I do love arts/parks/sights. I do go out to eat very frequently though as a solo diner, fast food and yuppie food. It would be great to blend with the other middle class people in the area though, but it seems like neighborhoods dont matter too much in that regard unless people dont go from 1 neighborhood to another.
I wouldn't put much stock in what some article has to say. Also, the West Village is even more super-yuppie than Chelsea IMO.

I think you should come and get a short-term sublet and take your time looking for a place. That way you can check out the neighborhoods and make your own decision. Apartment hunting is not that easy in NYC on a budget (and yes, $2500 and even $3000 is considered "budget")

You might discover you like Chelsea and can cut out the subway commute to work entirely. Btw, this is what a commute might look like from Williamsburg -- and this doesn't even have anything to do with the planned upcoming work. This is just a typical day. Surge in Ridership Pushes New York Subway to Limit

Old 05-14-2016, 12:45 AM

13 posts, read 24,998 times
Thanks for your suggestion Henna.

I'm going to take a short trip in the beginning of June during the end of weekend thru the middle of the week before I officially move to try and scope/close out some key neighborhoods/places. I think this is covered by my work for relocation, and my friend says I can stay at his place for a few days as well.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:19 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:

Chelsea and West Village are about equivalent when it comes to super yuppie-ness. In terms of arts/parks/sights, Chelsea is great in terms of things in walking distance. It's still where most of the major galleries are located in NYC (though many of the smaller ones have been pushed to LES, Williamsburg or the Flower District). There's the High Line and the Hudson Riverfront for parks and sights plus the UCB theater is there for comedy.

Though all of the neighborhoods would be great if you find something good within your budget--the big advantage of Chelsea is not being subject to the vicissitudes of the subway and a much more pleasant and short commute so that you might have more time to enjoy other things. West Village, as it's a bordering neighborhood, might give you that, too, depending on where your office is located.

Also, bikes.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:57 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion Henna.

I'm going to take a short trip in the beginning of June during the end of weekend thru the middle of the week before I officially move to try and scope/close out some key neighborhoods/places. I think this is covered by my work for relocation, and my friend says I can stay at his place for a few days as well.
This is the best situation. Because ultimely only you really know yourself, what you like and where you may enjoy living. You can read articles, your friend can give you suggestions, or people on this forum can offer you insite but we don't really know what will make you happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City