Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 03:41 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Reviving this thread for a minute.

I listened to the MTA board meeting that took place in late Sept over YouTube. They discussed this project. They have secured the right of way with Amtrak, have proposed scheduling of the trains and designs for the four track stations. They said these stations can be build relatively quickly. (I'm not sure what "quickly" means.)

However, what raised a red flag for me was that it is contingent upon the completion of the 2nd avenue subway. I'd have to listen to that again. The 2nd avenue subway has only completed Phase one out of three. The final phase incorporates a trainline from 125th street all the way to the Financial District. I don't believe funding or dates have been secured for that phase.

So the question I poise: Why is this capital development contingent upon the completion of the 2nd avenue subway. I do not see how they are related except of course from the source of funding.

Can we complain to our representatives and try to push this project ahead? I remember hearing one of the things that made this more urgent was the various accidents that happened along the New Haven line. Governor Cuomo is a big proponent of this project but what happens when he is no longer in office? Does the project get pushed aside?

Does anyone have answers? Does anyone want answers?
Wow, that's crazy. In what world are they related? They don't share trackage, rolling stock or any of that and the right of way and crossings for Metro-North to go into Penn Station currently exist already. The East Side Access project does have to be completed and there would have to be additional work done to allow Metro-North trains to run all the way through, but that's about it and much of that can be done concurrently with East Side Access finishing up.

The New Haven Line is already looking at expanding its service in Connecticut and Shore Line East (another commuter rail line in Connecticut) is switching to electric locomotives next year which means that can potentially be extended out to the Manhattan terminals as well. With any of those, there would be a need to take advantage of the opened up capacity in Penn Station from LIRR routing some trains to Grand Central. The sensible thing to do is to work on these related improvement efforts in conjunction with each other and not tied to an entirely different project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 04:17 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
This makes the Bronx very enticing to me as it gives more commutable options to Connecticut and Manhattan (ie hedge funds and stuff).

Old 11-14-2017, 07:52 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
I didn't because my commute would have still been an hour and a half and 4 transfers since I worked on the West Side and the 6 was my only option.
Why would the 6 have been your only option? Couldn't you take the 40/42 bus to the 2 train? The ride from East Tremont to lets say Times Square is like 30 minutes if not delayed.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-15-2017, 07:33 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Why would the 6 have been your only option? Couldn't you take the 40/42 bus to the 2 train? The ride from East Tremont to lets say Times Square is like 30 minutes if not delayed.
Personally am shocked that so many from Throggs Neck would even consider the subway. Very few subway lines in the Bronx go through decent neighborhoods. The 6 makes sense since it ends in Pelham Bay, but you have to go through the South Bronx to reach Manhattan with all sorts of characters riding.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:24 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I guess people in TN could....as I was in Country Club, the 8 or 14 (now 24) buses were what was near me. That also seems like an awfully long bus ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Personally am shocked that so many from Throggs Neck would even consider the subway. Very few subway lines in the Bronx go through decent neighborhoods. The 6 makes sense since it ends in Pelham Bay, but you have to go through the South Bronx to reach Manhattan with all sorts of characters riding.
Maybe it's just bc the TN bus in particular is so terrible. It's always the last to come when you're waiting on Madison. If someone doesn't work off 5th between 72nd and 23rd, it's not necessarily going to be less hassle. I do know people who say they can't afford it. That doesn't seem to be the majority of the reaosn though.

Personally, I couldn't care less what neighborhoods the train goes through, as long as I'm not getting off in that neighborhood.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Maybe it's just bc the TN bus in particular is so terrible. It's always the last to come when you're waiting on Madison. If someone doesn't work off 5th between 72nd and 23rd, it's not necessarily going to be less hassle. I do know people who say they can't afford it. That doesn't seem to be the majority of the reaosn though.

Personally, I couldn't care less what neighborhoods the train goes through, as long as I'm not getting off in that neighborhood.
Those BxM9 buses run almost like water, sometimes every 5 minutes during rush hour. Cannot get any more frequent than that. Can also track the buses now on your phone or whatever, so waits at the bus stop shouldn't be that long. Being in Country Club, would think you had the option of the BxM8 or BxM9. With the train, the thing is, you have all sorts of skells that get on. Have seen it myself. For those reasons unless I have no choice, always elect to take the express bus, as it is safer.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:11 PM

One time I was riding the subway in the Bronx I clutched my pearls so hard that I crushed them with my bare hands. The dust from it got breathed in and I got gout to such an extent that my feet were swollen for months and I had to be sherpa’d and rickshaw’d everywhere. I made great friends in that time and now I run my own human locomotion service! So let this be a lesson—sometimes it takes a fearful ride in the Bronx to realize your true calling.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:21 PM

On another note, CDOT is currently has projects on the New Haven Line which would allow for increased capacity for the route as well as plans for even more improvements especially on the Danbury Branch where it might undergo electrification. There is similarly an order of new electric units for Shore Line East and that plus the capacity increase to follow from Penn Station Access and East Side Access might open up the way for those services to go into Penn Station. So maybe these Bronx stations will actually have some decent frequenxy.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
One time I was riding the subway in the Bronx I clutched my pearls so hard that I crushed them with my bare hands. The dust from it got breathed in and I got gout to such an extent that my feet were swollen for months and I had to be sherpa’d and rickshaw’d everywhere. I made great friends in that time and now I run my own human locomotion service! So let this be a lesson—sometimes it takes a fearful ride in the Bronx to realize your true calling.
Your pearls? Had no idea you were a woman...

Old 11-15-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Your pearls? Had no idea you were a woman...
I’m actually a few dozen women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City