Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 11:35 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times

Advertisements

My mom recently retired and will relocate to Austin Texas to join me and my family. she put her home on the market two weeks ago and while people have come through, no offers. Her home is well kept, renovated, and modern. it is located in a gated Eastern Bronx community. It's been awhile since I've dealt with the NYC real estate market. I put my condo up for sale in 2003 and had multiple offers within the first few days. It had a pretty good location going for it in the Bronx, plus it was a 2+/2 and 1100 sq ft., and across the street from a park. My mom's condo has some water view, which I think is even better. I've looked at the market in both College Point, Queens and where she lives and it seems like properties sit for months before a contract and then it's sold below asking. Is the real estate market these days tilted more towards the buyer or is it neutral? I'm not talking about the hot areas of BK or Queens...which are a different animal

Thanks

ETA: the house is competitively priced too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 12:42 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,974,054 times
it is definitely slowing down in the past couple of months. all cash buyers seem to have evaporated, and more investors are seeking to cash out on their properties. for a lot of NYC rental properties bought in the past several years landlords can hardly break even between the rent income and their expenses due to the inflated re prices. when the market slows and chance of appreciation slips, more pressure will buildup on investors to sell to stop loss. I personally believe a sizable re correction is around the corner, 20% in the next 2-3 years is not impossible.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:34 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Prices are too high beyond a price point that many feel are worthy deals.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:03 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Close to the water? Hurricane Sandy still might be affecting potential buyers.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-20-2016, 05:31 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Close to the water? Hurricane Sandy still might be affecting potential buyers.
I agree with Seventh. I think Sandy turned a lot of people off to being too close to the water.

Also,re the market in general it seems like there is a real trend towards neighborhoods with good transportation. So your mom's place might have 2 strikes against it.

I know in my neighborhood,which is your old neighborhood riaelise, stuff is selling pretty quickly.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:35 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,360,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
My mom recently retired and will relocate to Austin Texas to join me and my family. she put her home on the market two weeks ago and while people have come through, no offers. Her home is well kept, renovated, and modern. it is located in a gated Eastern Bronx community. It's been awhile since I've dealt with the NYC real estate market. I put my condo up for sale in 2003 and had multiple offers within the first few days. It had a pretty good location going for it in the Bronx, plus it was a 2+/2 and 1100 sq ft., and across the street from a park. My mom's condo has some water view, which I think is even better. I've looked at the market in both College Point, Queens and where she lives and it seems like properties sit for months before a contract and then it's sold below asking. Is the real estate market these days tilted more towards the buyer or is it neutral? I'm not talking about the hot areas of BK or Queens...which are a different animal

Thanks

ETA: the house is competitively priced too.

I'm not in a "hot area" but things seem to have been selling in my area of Brooklyn all right---but I'm in a pretty stable place. If it seems like in her area is what you have described/what I have bolded, then that's probably what will happen.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:20 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,838 times
transportation and location to manhattan and other hot areas, maybe effecting the sell of the condo. It seems thats the biggest factor for current buyers in NYC market. If they don't care to be far from those areas, usually because they have a family they buy a house in long island or queens.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:23 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,838 times
in 2003, people wanted to live in less areas in NYC. now because of gentrification of the undesirable areas that are close to manhattan, their options of areas to choose from has increased. No one was buying brownstones in clinton hill/Bed-stuy for a million dollars or more in 2003 but now they are. With prices increasing in the inner boroughs, there may be a ripple effect of desperate buyers to move further away.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:39 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
Anything will sell at the right price.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:12 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,944,350 times
As the adage goes, location. Location, location. The better the location, the higher the demand.....sellers market. The less desirable locations , less demand.....buyers market.

How are you advertising it? With a broker? On your own? The more exposure, the better for a sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City