Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 03:39 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,337,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I've considered it often for the slower pace of life, the better apartments I could afford with my salary compared to NYC apartments.

The civility, gentility, green spaces, less stress.

However: I feel like I have a mental block against moving out of NYC.

I've lived here for over 10 years, also grew up in the area.
I feel like I've become too much of a New Yorker now to leave.
Like every other place I go seems conservative and conformist and provincial and homogenous and boring in comparison. Doesn't have the energy that the streets of NYC have.

I feel like NYC has ruined me for anyplace else!

Does anyone else feel like that?
I've only been here a short time (~ 7 months) but am actively looking to leave even though its been less than 1 year. I'm not native to the area, but don't think that would change my decision.

At the end of the day, a better financial situation gives you more options than life in NYC. There are some positive aspects to life here, but they're outweighed by the negatives primarily in the form of COL and tax burden.

I think you should give it a shot -- NYC will be here if it doesn't go your way. A lot of people who have left have been happy with their decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 04:01 PM

562 posts, read 464,734 times
The secret to being happy with your relocation is choosing a place that has adequate cultural activities, restaurants and nightlife, along with very good employment options. You don't want to move from NYC to the middle of nowhere. I currently live in the DC metro, and do not regret my move from Manhattan.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:49 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I've only been here a short time (~ 7 months) but am actively looking to leave even though its been less than 1 year. I'm not native to the area, but don't think that would change my decision.

At the end of the day, a better financial situation gives you more options than life in NYC. There are some positive aspects to life here, but they're outweighed by the negatives primarily in the form of COL and tax burden.

I think you should give it a shot -- NYC will be here if it doesn't go your way. A lot of people who have left have been happy with their decision.
Thanks.

But it's not so easy to come back after leaving NYC.
For example, I have a cheap apartment now in NYC. Will I find one should I choose to move back? Doubtful.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:14 PM

969 posts, read 826,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHillAmerica View Post
I have absorbed much of the "energy" NYC has to offer by living in Queens all of my life an roaming the boroughs, the sort of energy radiated from vast overcrowding, absurd public behavior, a lengthy list of no-go areas that have become and remained squalor- and crime-ridden pest holes, a public school with ~4,000 students and a graduating class of ~1000 (great place to learn, especially when half the kids bussed in to the school are flat-out losers), mass drug addiction, illiteracy, pollution, and noises.
The 'energy' of New York is basically qualia, experienced almost exclusively by far-left and left-leaning social liberals who despise gentrification and thrive in urban blight and disorder/unpredictability. The conjecture is that people with different world views simply don't experience the same thing, or experience it as such a categorical negative that they may as well be in an entirely different city.

If that's true, the only way the OP can free herself from the city (if this 'energy' means so much to her) is through some paradigm shift in her world view. Then she'll see the city through a more rational lens and be encouraged to leave for somewhere with a better QOL.

Last edited by CTDominion; 06-03-2016 at 05:41 PM..

Old 06-03-2016, 05:47 PM

56 posts, read 66,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
Or the crime.

Actually, NYC has been voted one of the safest, if not the safest, big city in the united states. The sexual assault, rape and murder rates are higher in Tulsa, OK....

Old 06-03-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

For example, I have a cheap apartment now in NYC. Will I find one should I choose to move back? Doubtful.
For me, it's actually the tax burden that gets me more than the COL. There are ways one can reduce COL, mainly by living somewhere less expensive. There's not much that can be done to reduce tax burden besides reducing income, which is counterproductive. Besides insane state and local tax rates on wages, investments are taxed as ordinary income as well -- very difficult to get ahead.

Do you work in a field that's concentrated in NYC or far stronger in NYC that most other places?

If not, it's hard to justify living here (in my opinion).

Old 06-04-2016, 07:58 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Quote:
Thanks.

^^^^
You'd better be damn sure you want to go because it is not likely you will find your way back.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
^^^^
You'd better be damn sure you want to go because it is not likely you will find your way back.
Exactly.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Exactly.
Why would it be so difficult to return? NYC will still be here if you decide to make the move back.

The economy is weak and getting worse so you may be able to return when prices are less insane than they are now -- the real estate market is already softening here.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Why would it be so difficult to return? NYC will still be here if you decide to make the move back.

The economy is weak and getting worse so you may be able to return when prices are less insane than they are now -- the real estate market is already softening here.
No way. Rents/real estate is only going up and more neighborhoods are gentrifying.
I will never find a 1 bedroom apartment for $1100 again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City