Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 12:22 AM

4 posts, read 5,797 times

Advertisements

There are a ton of reasons why but I'll just say I love NYC because, even tho I'm not from here, It's felt like home since the day I moved. I feel sooo much more at home here than I ever did where I grew up. Idk why that is, but i know that says a lot! But to me it simply says that I belong here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 06:20 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
It is never DULL in Manhattan.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:26 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,966 times
It's home. That's reason enough.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:48 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I would if I did, but I don't.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:37 AM

11 posts, read 14,409 times
I love the shopping and the fact that there's a basketball court on almost every corner in some parts...can't wait to visit again.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:11 AM

506 posts, read 1,956,722 times
I love that once you have your routine, despite the size and amount of people, it really does have a smalltown vibe. Knowing and recognizing the people on your commute to work, from the hotel bellhop near my office to the newspaper guys in the stations to the cashier at my local deli.

Also, speaking of the newspaper guys, I love the French (maybe?) guy in Herald Square handing out the paper near the NQR lines. My morning isn't complete without hearing him say "Newspaper, newspaper... get your newspaper" in his French accent (which I'm not entirely convinced is real ).

Old 12-05-2011, 12:07 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,043 times
I was raised in Washington Heights in NYC.

I have been (lived in for a short while) to the following places, listed from least crappy to most crappy: NYC, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Virginia Beach, Phoenix, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Savannah, Fort Worth and St. Louis. Granted those are all "cities" but a few of them have more crime and far less amenities. St. Louis especially, place looks like some **** off the "Feed the Children" commercials. Savannah is still stuck in the "good-ole-boy" system. I, for real, can't make up something this dumb, heard the following on Savannah Radio;

"Come in to Coastal Auto. Put your first down payment on one of our featured Dodge pick-ups new or used and get your Free Shotgun!"

After all these experiences I can say loudly and proudly, If it's not New York, it's ****!!

Really, first off vehicles are an absolute necessity in any city except NYC and Chicago. The amount of stuff there is to do in NYC equals many other cities put together. Sure, NYC is very expensive but you're going to pay a premium for having everything you could want typically within 3 -Walkable- miles of your apartment.

NYC has so much beauty, history, texture; sure it's crowded and dirty... but having been to other places I really don't care about having a 2000+ square foot house in a town where even the next crappo-mart is 3 miles away

Old 12-05-2011, 01:45 PM

669 posts, read 1,274,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
^^

Yes, indeed. I just did two interviews in the City last week. Trying desperately to move back. People can bash that city all they want, but I can't take them seriously until they actual move out and see what else is out there. NYC is one of the most incredible cities in the world. yeah its dirty, yeah the people are extremely upfront and yeah it can be pricey. But truth be told, there is no other place in the states like it, period.
I lived in South Florida for two years myself and have a lot of family members and friends who left the city for VA, NC, GA, and FL only to move back. The thing most ppl have against NY that have lived here their whole life is theyve never been anywhere different and probably don't travel so their stuck in one place and no matter where that is you can get tired of it. But once you leave NYC like my parents did you realize how much you truly love it here, the main reasons I love NYC soo much now is because I left and realized how truly great it is and that I took it for granted.

In my eyes living in a small suburban town where its warm all year seems horrible give me NY with all it's high cost, filth and over crowdedness any day of the week. The rest of the country is truly only good for a visit.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:41 PM

762 posts, read 1,750,713 times
NYC is a great place for insomniacs.

When I can't sleep and am too antsy to watch TV or surf the 'net, I can go out, take a walk around the corner and have a conversation with the guys behind the counters at the 24-hour market or convenience store, and some of the people who come in during that time. Or I can go to a bar or a diner. Sometimes I just take a walk, even though it's 3am. It's never desolate in my neighborhood and there are plenty of things for an insomniac to do instead of laying there trying to fall asleep.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:44 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
I would love to move out of Nyc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City