Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 05:56 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Is anything selling quickly? What are the ones that are moving fast sold for?
No from what I've seen online. I've seen months go by before pending status. And when they're sold they're less than asking. Not just her area too so I'm just wondering
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 07:46 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,764,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Clason point and soundview are two different areas. I will give you that the area on the way to her condo isn't the best but her complex is still pretty nice for the most part. The thing is homes are sitting elsewhere too. The DOM is kinda high in several places.
While technically two different areas they are adjacent and you must walk thru Soundview to get to Clason Point. Imo TN is just as much a transit desert and superior place to live. The prices in Shore Haven are overly optimistic given the area.

Eta: Wiki calls Soundview a subsection of Clason Point. If anything, I'd imagine it's the opposite.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
While technically two different areas they are adjacent and you must walk thru Soundview to get to Clason Point. Imo TN is just as much a transit desert and superior place to live. The prices in Shore Haven are overly optimistic given the area.

Eta: Wiki calls Soundview a subsection of Clason Point. If anything, I'd imagine it's the opposite.
But that's thing - and I know this because I visit Shorehaven every year for the past twelve years - the prices aren't overly optimistic. It's waterfront, gated, and has a fitness club with a pool. Where can you find any of that for that price (below $400k)? The immediately surrounding area are private homes and there are no nearby PJs. but you do have do go down WPR or Soundview Ave. and there are sketchy pockets off the Cross Bronx and around Laconia. But nothing a New Yorker couldn't handle. There are so many neighborhoods in NYC where you have to go through "sketchy" to reach yours..that's just how it is. That doesn't impact sales all that much, especially considering what you get.

The Neck isn't a total transit desert. It has an express bus and some viable retail along Tremont. Shorehaven doesn't have even that. But Throggs Neck sales are soft too, even being "superior". Homes sit, lots of reductions. It just seems to be the way things are lately..and I'm just trying to find out how the market is these days. I'm trying to be encouraging because she really wants to see her grandkids full time. She's toured a number of homes down here already and is ready to move. It all comes down to selling the current house. She's lived there for 20 years, so selling is a big thing for her.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:50 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Shore Haven is Clason Point (Soundview). Many people are turned off by potential sketchiness of the area imo more than lack of transit options.
I go running on both Pugsley Creek all the time; Clason Point (White Plains Road) and Castle Hill (Castle Hill Avenue).

Clason Point does look a bit 'sketchy', as opposed to Castle Hill. Good to have buses buses in Clason Point area (Bx 39, 27). But one bus in Castle Hill (Bx22).

I didn't 'see' a lot of Sandy damage in either of those areas. The 'sketchiness' of Clason Point looks like more of an issue with the developers than Sandy, or any 'hood issues'! Just my observation. One might know better than I do on the Sandy end....!

With that said, both need the buses to get to the 6, but I've seen neighborhoods in much deeper 'two-fare' zones than those........!

Old 06-21-2016, 10:56 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
Friend of mine is on Turnbull Ave in Castle Hill. Him and his wife bought the house for $400K, back in the mid-2000s. But Turnbull Avenue is not near the water, and if, God forbid, there was another transit strike, both of the could walk to the Castle Hill train station. $400K may be a bit high in Clason Point. But check with a realtor on that!

Old 06-21-2016, 11:37 PM

415 posts, read 514,504 times
Wait. did I miss something? Is there a reason you can't tell us what neighborhood this for sale property is located in? I didn't read the entire thread, only your first comment and a few following ones.

I mean you shared a lot of personal details so it seems a little strange to me to suddenly shy up on the location, which would seem like an important detail to able to answer your question.

Also, a common complaint I hear from many people in certain states is that people from the Northeast are moving to escape the high cost of living and taxes in New York, only to bring their politics with them which helped make the cost of living so high in the area they're escaping from.

This makes a lot of sense to me.

If someone moves from Illinois, New Jersey or New York to say Texas for a better life and a lower cost of living, does it not make sense that one of the reasons the cost of living in say Texas is cheaper is because of a certain political philosophy which might be different than yours?

If you start voting in Texas like the way most New Yorkers vote, then doesn't it seem obvious that Texas will become more expensive like New York?

Are people not able to understand this?

Old 06-21-2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
Wait. did I miss something? Is there a reason you can't tell us what neighborhood this for sale property is located in? I didn't read the entire thread, only your first comment and a few following ones.

I mean you shared a lot of personal details so it seems a little strange to me to suddenly shy up on the location, which would seem like an important detail to able to answer your question.

Also, a common complaint I hear from many people in certain states is that people from the Northeast are moving to escape the high cost of living and taxes in New York, only to bring their politics with them which helped make the cost of living so high in the area they're escaping from.

This makes a lot of sense to me.

If someone moves from Illinois, New Jersey or New York to say Texas for a better life and a lower cost of living, does it not make sense that one of the reasons the cost of living in say Texas is cheaper is because of a certain political philosophy which might be different than yours?

If you start voting in Texas like the way most New Yorkers vote, then doesn't it seem obvious that Texas will become more expensive like New York?

Are people not able to understand this?
Thanks for admitting that you didn't bother to read much of the thread because if you did you'd see that the neighborhood was mentioned. I'm not 'shying up' but the info I gave was good for the question asked.

Not sure how the rest of your post relates to my topic either. My mother is relocating because she wants to see her grandchildren more than twice a year, not due to cost of living. Since she's been in the condo for twenty years and she's retired, it's safe to say that her Housing expenses arent that high. Actually Texas isn't so inexpensive and she will have to take on a mortgage for her new house.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I go running on both Pugsley Creek all the time; Clason Point (White Plains Road) and Castle Hill (Castle Hill Avenue).

Clason Point does look a bit 'sketchy', as opposed to Castle Hill. Good to have buses buses in Clason Point area (Bx 39, 27). But one bus in Castle Hill (Bx22).

I didn't 'see' a lot of Sandy damage in either of those areas. The 'sketchiness' of Clason Point looks like more of an issue with the developers than Sandy, or any 'hood issues'! Just my observation. One might know better than I do on the Sandy end....!

With that said, both need the buses to get to the 6, but I've seen neighborhoods in much deeper 'two-fare' zones than those........!
To be honest, I avoided two fare zones like the plague. That included throggs neck, where my mom lives, river dale, etc. I was raised in co op city and bus to a train sucked. I really do think location and being near transit and retail helped my condo sell.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:54 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Maybe DeBlasio will add ferry service or a streetcar line to College Point if the bribe is right.

Agreed....DeBlasio is a crook...his rental properties should be looked into closely....The Bronx has been completely ignored by this Mayor. This Bronx Borough president carries and wields absolutely no influence.

The ferry plan doesn't even include the Bronx. Anyone with a half a brain would have considered Marble Hill. Instead, they selected Soundview almost as an afterthought.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:53 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Agreed....DeBlasio is a crook...his rental properties should be looked into closely....The Bronx has been completely ignored by this Mayor. This Bronx Borough president carries and wields absolutely no influence.

The ferry plan doesn't even include the Bronx. Anyone with a half a brain would have considered Marble Hill. Instead, they selected Soundview almost as an afterthought.
They chose Soundview because of it's lack of transportation to midtown. Marble Hill already has both subway and metro north service so doesn't really need another option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City