Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 04:08 AM

4,775 posts, read 6,573,986 times

Advertisements

That photo clearly shows a crime scene or some other event. There are a bunch of police and people with badges on the right, and on the left a TV reporter is being interviewed on camera. I doubt the noise of this type of thing is typical. At least I hope not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 02:59 AM

290 posts, read 366,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
But the LES these days also has a positive connotation, it's considered to be a very desirable neighborhood. I guess East Village still sounds more charming to me though. From a geographic and architectural standpoint, it does make sense for Alphabet City to be lumped in with the East Village in my opinion (the street grid, for instance).
Sure. You're not old enough to have known the "old" LES. Not a bad or good thing, it is what it is. Someone born in 1975 would be my age though and have vivid memories of the "bad, old days" -- in other words the "East Village" moniker on real estate is for them, not you. Particularly since most 21 year-olds aren't in the market for a condo or storefront like someone who's 41 might be (operative word is "might"), but if you personally are, congrats, and remember me when you're living large and I'm still writing rent checks to the landlord.

Quote:
And I was born in 1995, most people my age don't listen to Justin Bieber, at least not intentionally. But he is a very successful pop musician who has a big fanbase and releases some catchy songs. I don't hate the guy, he makes forgettable pop songs like the majority of pop musicians in any era.
I have no idea what 21-year olds in a generation that's not my own listen to. Just going by what I see on music forums I enjoy when the subject is "stuff from the past" and the a-holes are dominating the thread. If you must know I agree that Bieber is fine. Not something I'd pay to seek out -- the Sisters of Mercy and Bauhaus are more my taste -- but he has a very well trained and articulated voice, rather like a young MJ circa Jackson 5. The production is what is lacking but nowdays you don't have to look very hard to find bad production, even "classic rock" groups like Rush and Alice in Chains have that rancid "loudness wars" lack of range and a flat, glossy sound with muffled instruments and vocals.

And worse, in real life, there are simply too many idiotic men of approx my age who do things like spam their family and friends by putting them on some Bieber fanclub list or whine about Bieber in the hopes this will attract the attention and sexual interest of that "cool" 20-something chick who likes Boomer-era "alt-punk". It's pathetic, but whatya gonna do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Geraldine Ferraro didn't fight for Ridgewood / Glendale to get a Queens zip code because she was racist. It had more to do with it demanding its own Queens zip code because they are not in Brooklyn. Also business on the Queens side shouldn't have to pay the same insurance premiums as that on the Brooklyn side when they didn't face the same threat of theft and arson as a business would in Bushwick during the '70s and '80s.
That's how Ferraro sold it to the residents of our neighborhood. Her personal impetus for acting as she did is another matter entirely, and sources close to the one-time VP candidate note that she was always rather racist (as were many Italian-Americans of her age and generation, which in and of itself is fascinating to the point one could write pages about it).

How well do you think a speech mentioning "we're gonna slice a hunk of land off of this and add it to that because of the G-D [3-4 ethnic slurs] who loot and burn and etc." would go over in Kings/Queens counties? Not too well, especially if you want to ascend to great heights politically, but personally, that was pretty much how Ferraro thought. Oh, but old Gerry was precisely what the lukewarm Democrats of the 80s needed on their side as they transitioned into neoliberal triangulators, the sort of pro-trickle-down, conservative-"lite" party designed explicitly for people absolutely fed up with the GOP but still wary of endorsing an FDR-style platform thanks to memories of McCarthyism that felt a little too fresh.

I remember last time Ridgewood was the topic, some people told me that I lived in Bushwick until I produced a press release about Ferraro that contained the official party line on the separation, insurance premiums, arson, and all. It's a fun piece of trivia to bust out at parties. Such as I go to them at my age. LOL.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:25 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Thank you to all who offered feedback in this thread!
Update:I went and walked around the neighborhood.
My sense of it? It's really surrounded by projects,just across the street from the Avenue D large NYCHA project.
There are a few other smaller NYCHA projects in the neighborhood.
It didn't feel terribly safe or pleasant (and this was the daytime).

I would also say that at 2nd Street, even Avenue C is not quite gentrified yet (maybe further up it is,not sure).

Avenues A and B are largely (not totally) gentrified, but Avenue C still appears pretty poor with fewer businesses/shops/restaurants, etc.
Again, Avenue D is straight up projects.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:30 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
My sense of it? It's really surrounded by projects,just across the street from the Avenue D large NYCHA project.

I would also say that at 2nd Street, even Avenue C is not quite gentrified yet (maybe further up it is,not sure).

Avenues A and B are largely (not totally) gentrified, but Avenue C still appears pretty poor with fewer businesses/shops/restaurants, etc.
So, good or bad?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-10-2016, 02:36 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post

You don't find avenue A and B to be totally gentrified? I think Avenue C is in transition, you see a mix of old and new. It's probably the nicest between 7th st and 9th st. I can understand it not being in someone's comfort zone, though.

But living between C and D, you'd still be a short distance from solidly gentrified territory. It's up to you of course, but I think you should take the apartment if you get a good deal on it.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:42 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.BadGuy View Post
Sure. You're not old enough to have known the "old" LES. Not a bad or good thing, it is what it is. Someone born in 1975 would be my age though and have vivid memories of the "bad, old days" -- in other words the "East Village" moniker on real estate is for them, not you. Particularly since most 21 year-olds aren't in the market for a condo or storefront like someone who's 41 might be (operative word is "might"), but if you personally are, congrats, and remember me when you're living large and I'm still writing rent checks to the landlord.

I have no idea what 21-year olds in a generation that's not my own listen to. Just going by what I see on music forums I enjoy when the subject is "stuff from the past" and the a-holes are dominating the thread. If you must know I agree that Bieber is fine. Not something I'd pay to seek out -- the Sisters of Mercy and Bauhaus are more my taste -- but he has a very well trained and articulated voice, rather like a young MJ circa Jackson 5. The production is what is lacking but nowdays you don't have to look very hard to find bad production, even "classic rock" groups like Rush and Alice in Chains have that rancid "loudness wars" lack of range and a flat, glossy sound with muffled instruments and vocals.

And worse, in real life, there are simply too many idiotic men of approx my age who do things like spam their family and friends by putting them on some Bieber fanclub list or whine about Bieber in the hopes this will attract the attention and sexual interest of that "cool" 20-something chick who likes Boomer-era "alt-punk". It's pathetic, but whatya gonna do?

That's how Ferraro sold it to the residents of our neighborhood. Her personal impetus for acting as she did is another matter entirely, and sources close to the one-time VP candidate note that she was always rather racist (as were many Italian-Americans of her age and generation, which in and of itself is fascinating to the point one could write pages about it).

How well do you think a speech mentioning "we're gonna slice a hunk of land off of this and add it to that because of the G-D [3-4 ethnic slurs] who loot and burn and etc." would go over in Kings/Queens counties? Not too well, especially if you want to ascend to great heights politically, but personally, that was pretty much how Ferraro thought. Oh, but old Gerry was precisely what the lukewarm Democrats of the 80s needed on their side as they transitioned into neoliberal triangulators, the sort of pro-trickle-down, conservative-"lite" party designed explicitly for people absolutely fed up with the GOP but still wary of endorsing an FDR-style platform thanks to memories of McCarthyism that felt a little too fresh.

I remember last time Ridgewood was the topic, some people told me that I lived in Bushwick until I produced a press release about Ferraro that contained the official party line on the separation, insurance premiums, arson, and all. It's a fun piece of trivia to bust out at parties. Such as I go to them at my age. LOL.
But nowadays, the LES itself is also a trendy neighborhood, so I'm not sure why the East Village name would be needed by to distance itself from sort of negative perception.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:21 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
You don't find avenue A and B to be totally gentrified? I think Avenue C is in transition, you see a mix of old and new. It's probably the nicest between 7th st and 9th st. I can understand it not being in someone's comfort zone, though.

But living between C and D, you'd still be a short distance from solidly gentrified territory. It's up to you of course, but I think you should take the apartment if you get a good deal on it.
Agreed A and B are just about totally gentrified.

However C at least around 2nd Street, is less so. It's better than Avenue D (which again, is projects), but no, I wouldn't call it gentrified. It has bodegas and check-cashing places and hardware stores, and the odd thrift store and coffee shop (yeah, semi-gentrified), and a rinky dink Puerto Rican restaurant which didn't look too nice or appealing inside (unfortunately, oherwise I would have loved to try it out).

True, living near Avenue C, you'd be close to gentrified territory, albeit not necessarily totally in it, depending on the street.

But...living that close to Avenue D, you're really in project territory. I didn't feel comfortable with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City