Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 02:23 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Grown adults have been playing video games for a long time. This isn't any different. Ever sit on the train and notice how many grown adults are playing Candy Crush or some other app game? This is basically the same thing. Also, You can play the Pokemon game while on your way to and from places. Thats where I've noticed people playing it. Got off the subway after work and a few people whipped out their phones and "hunted" Pokemon on their walks back to their apartments. I noticed others doing it on their way to lunch. Even seen people waiting on line in a store "catch" one next to them.
Im not sure if you're an early millennial like those who are born in 1983. These folks were little kids when Pokémon cards came out in 1994 and we're teens when Pokémon came out for the Gameboy color and Nintendo 64 home console back in the late 90s. Lots of millennials seem to be playing this including myself. I don't see older generations playing Pokémon go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 02:35 PM

597 posts, read 666,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Me too. The amount of people walking, on bikes and even driving to these spots is unreal. Many people are in big groups.

It's nice to see so many people out and about though.
It is, but it sure has changed my nighttime runs at the park. I had seen references to Pokemon Go for the last week but didn't really read up on it. So, a couple of days ago I go to the park where I normally go for a late-ish (9pm) run. It was packed - cars everywhere, people on the roadway, the trails, the grassy areas. Lots of phone lights, lots of people abruptly changing directions. At first I thought there was a special event finishing, maybe a concert at the pavilion. I quickly figured it out and then read up on the Pokemon Go craze when I got home. It is annoying if you're running or riding bike and people are so engaged in the game that they walk right in front of you. A lot of dodging players around the park. But, I guess it's their park too.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:20 PM

416 posts, read 247,598 times
This pokemon go game caused the stock of Nintendo to rise +50%. It's cool if this game makes people happy. For the people that get into accidents, it would have happened anyway if it was a text. So can't blame a video game for fatal incidents. I tried this game out and got no where.. it was at work. Can't this game do lgps inside a building?!

Old 07-14-2016, 07:05 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times
People who don't play will encounter a lot of players only by chance, since they have no idea where all the good spots are. Here is what it looks like at night at a good spot (4 lures running):

Old 07-14-2016, 07:10 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,187 times
My 15 year old is playing. It gets her out of the house

Old 07-14-2016, 07:57 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
People who don't play will encounter a lot of players only by chance, since they have no idea where all the good spots are. Here is what it looks like at night at a good spot (4 lures running):
Looks like an easy target area to me, I wonder if there's police protection, I heard in the news today a lady was hit by a car playing Pokémon Go, another person was rob.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:15 PM

416 posts, read 247,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
All those people are playing pokemon go?

Old 07-14-2016, 08:21 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Im not sure if you're an early millennial like those who are born in 1983. These folks were little kids when Pokémon cards came out in 1994 and we're teens when Pokémon came out for the Gameboy color and Nintendo 64 home console back in the late 90s. Lots of millennials seem to be playing this including myself. I don't see older generations playing Pokémon go.
Millennials now include people in their mid 30s. Those are most certainly "grown adults" and would be the very demographic that was exposed to the Nintendo gameboy era. My point is that some posters on here think we're (yes I'm one but an old one lol!) all 22, living with 5 roommates in Williamsburg and working as a barista at the corner coffee shop. Millennials are of the age now where they have real jobs with real responsibities as well as spouses, kids, and mortgages. We are very much grown a$$ adults. In fact there are a lot of studies and research that are focused on understanding things like "millineal moms" and "millineal families" because this demographic is the largest since the baby boomer generation and has a tremendous amount of economic power. Who Are Millennials | Millennial Marketing

And yea, I've started playing Pokemon. It's mostly when I'm walking to and from places. I have yet to go out hunting for them. Probably won't do that either.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplifly View Post
All those people are playing pokemon go?
Yes.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanniebaby7 View Post
Looks like an easy target area to me, I wonder if there's police protection, I heard in the news today a lady was hit by a car playing Pokémon Go, another person was rob.
The idiots who try to rob Pokemon Go players will get tracked easily. The phone is running full tracking (GPS, time, and pedometer) to play the game, so you can just grab a friend's phone, call the police, and track your own phone. Plus, how are you gonna rob 500 people that have their phones out? You gonna have pictures from all angles during the robbery. Surely its easier to rob people texting or playing candy crush or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: