U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-04-2017, 02:01 PM
 
34 posts, read 41,015 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownheightsnomad View Post
This doesn't seem to match the typical process that most of us are both told to expect and do in fact experience:
  1. Eligibility interview (just ONE, unless you have something missing and they ask you to come back)
  2. File sent to HDC; have to wait (typically A LONG TIME) until they assess it. Someone may call with questions (I was called about a couple of things they didn't understand on my bank statements)
  3. If rejected, rejection letter mailed out; must appeal within time if you think you have reason to do so
  4. If approved, asked to sign paperwork and see a unit (not always on the same day). If not approved, you may never hear anything else at all, OR you may be put on a waitlist
  5. If you accept the unit, sign lease. If you accept the waitlist spot, keep note of when you have to reach out to them to keep you on the waitlist (every six months, I think?)
  6. Wait some more until move-in/until someone else's unit opens up/until hell freezes over

I haven't heard of anyone else being asked to go in for two interviews and then at the end of the second interview, with papers not even yet sent off to HDC, immediately being offered to see a unit.

I'm confused.
I've been through this process before and I have a pretty good understanding of the steps. You are incorrect about the first few steps.

Your first "interview" is an intake interview. Someone sits with you and goes through a checklist to make sure you have brought all the necessary paperwork. They may inspect some of your paperwork in front of you but usually it's just a preliminary interview to collect your information.

Then, depending on your log #, the management company starts reviewing applicants and all of their paperwork and deems whether or not you qualify for the next step. This step is where many people get weeded out for various reasons, and also when rejection letters get sent out. HDC DOES NOT SEND OUT REJECTION LETTERS - only the management company does.

If you make it through the management company first round, you will then be contacted to come in and either clarify certain aspects of your paperwork and/or sign further paperwork which allows them to submit your paperwork to HDC. This is what happened with me last week.

Once your papers are sent to HDC, the average response time is 1-3 weeks, however that can take much longer. Once your paperwork is at HDC it is out of your hands and all you can do is wait. When HDC decides to review your paperwork they can ask for further clarifications or they can deny or approve you.

If approved from HDC you are basically good to go, as long as there is an apartment available for you. The management company will call or email you to let you know whether or not you've been approved and the next contact will be from the building management in order setup an appointment to come in and view an apartment and sign a lease.

The confusing part for me and which you might also be surprised by was being asked to view an apartment before my paperwork has been approved or denied by HDC. That part is unusual. My only guess is that the building is behind schedule and they are looking to fill the first six floors ASAP in order to start collecting some rent. But like I said previously, the building does not look close to being ready for occupancy and I'm sure the majority of move-ins wont take place until at least a few months from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2017, 09:08 PM
 
74 posts, read 84,635 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowanusdweller View Post
Yes, for Carlton. They have permits to begin moving people in before construction is complete. I take everything I hear from management with a grain of salt but that is what I was told and I will be viewing an apt next week.
Would you mind sharing your log number and when you had your intake? Not the full number I'm just curious what number they are up to. And what income band you fall in? I had read somewhere that the first 6 floors were reserved for the lower bands and I'm curious if there is any truth to that.

I had to go in for an appeal a few weeks ago and the case worker told me my application was complete at that point and I needed to just wait. Just trying to figure out if my waiting is closer to 2 months or 10. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 12:40 PM
 
184 posts, read 180,435 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowanusdweller View Post
I've been through this process before and I have a pretty good understanding of the steps. You are incorrect about the first few steps.

Your first "interview" is an intake interview. Someone sits with you and goes through a checklist to make sure you have brought all the necessary paperwork. They may inspect some of your paperwork in front of you but usually it's just a preliminary interview to collect your information.

Then, depending on your log #, the management company starts reviewing applicants and all of their paperwork and deems whether or not you qualify for the next step. This step is where many people get weeded out for various reasons, and also when rejection letters get sent out. HDC DOES NOT SEND OUT REJECTION LETTERS - only the management company does.

If you make it through the management company first round, you will then be contacted to come in and either clarify certain aspects of your paperwork and/or sign further paperwork which allows them to submit your paperwork to HDC. This is what happened with me last week.

Once your papers are sent to HDC, the average response time is 1-3 weeks, however that can take much longer. Once your paperwork is at HDC it is out of your hands and all you can do is wait. When HDC decides to review your paperwork they can ask for further clarifications or they can deny or approve you.

If approved from HDC you are basically good to go, as long as there is an apartment available for you. The management company will call or email you to let you know whether or not you've been approved and the next contact will be from the building management in order setup an appointment to come in and view an apartment and sign a lease.

The confusing part for me and which you might also be surprised by was being asked to view an apartment before my paperwork has been approved or denied by HDC. That part is unusual. My only guess is that the building is behind schedule and they are looking to fill the first six floors ASAP in order to start collecting some rent. But like I said previously, the building does not look close to being ready for occupancy and I'm sure the majority of move-ins wont take place until at least a few months from now.

This is identical to my experience for 461 Dean Street. I viewed my apartment the day after my paperwork was submitted to HDC. I found out i was approved in about a week, then was contacted 2 weeks later to sign my lease. From my first interview to my move in date on March 1st my whole process will have taken me 7 months.

Good news for 535 Carlton people is that there will be one less person to compete with now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 03:14 PM
 
34 posts, read 41,015 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComaLiving View Post
This is identical to my experience for 461 Dean Street. I viewed my apartment the day after my paperwork was submitted to HDC. I found out i was approved in about a week, then was contacted 2 weeks later to sign my lease. From my first interview to my move in date on March 1st my whole process will have taken me 7 months.

Good news for 535 Carlton people is that there will be one less person to compete with now.
Congrats ComaLiving! Not so often you hear of success stories on here, so it's nice to hear that they happen. Glad to hear that HDC got back to you so quickly. I'm in the same position for another building and HDC has had my paperwork for over 1 1/2 months and still no word. Hopefully Carlton will go quicker. Did MHANY call or email you to let you know you had been accepted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 04:35 PM
 
184 posts, read 180,435 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowanusdweller View Post
Congrats ComaLiving! Not so often you hear of success stories on here, so it's nice to hear that they happen. Glad to hear that HDC got back to you so quickly. I'm in the same position for another building and HDC has had my paperwork for over 1 1/2 months and still no word. Hopefully Carlton will go quicker. Did MHANY call or email you to let you know you had been accepted?
Hi Gowanus, and thank you! I feel very fortunate and I know how frustrating the wait is. I started to lose hope because I hadn't heard a peep from MHANY for 4 months after my initial interview.

Yes, MHANY called to let me know that I had been approved and to wait to be contacted for leasing. The rest of the process was scheduling done directly by Forest City Ratner. I know some people are waiting on HDC approval notification going on a month or two for 461 Dean.

I suspect that HDC notifies MHANY in a pretty quick fashion (a week or so) but MHANY doesn't tell you that you've been approved until they're ready to assign the unit.

Best of luck to you and keep us updated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 06:05 PM
 
2,938 posts, read 1,610,923 times
Reputation: 2125
HR called me in today to tell me they got the income verification form from Mhany for this building today. They filled it out and mailed it and faxed it as well. I had my first intake for this back in November I believe. This is giving me some new hope after still being in limbo for Dean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 09:40 AM
 
4 posts, read 5,735 times
Reputation: 10
I know Cb pref is first but has anyone without Cb pref recd any news regarding employment verification/credit check?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 09:58 AM
 
5 posts, read 11,135 times
Reputation: 10
I don't have a cb preference and I was told by email that my file is still in process. My log # is in the 1600s, I guess cb preferences are really first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 10:37 AM
 
7 posts, read 8,464 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryPottery View Post
I know Cb pref is first but has anyone without Cb pref recd any news regarding employment verification/credit check?
My HR dept. received employment verification about two weeks ago, and I am not CB preference. Log # in the 9XX's . Hoping it's moving along as I haven't hear anything since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 10:49 AM
 
4 posts, read 5,735 times
Reputation: 10
Hmmm the address on my paycheck is different from where I work (our payroll is outsourced). Any idea which they send the verification to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top