Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 06:03 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Knew it wouldn't take long before the usual suspects latched onto the affordable housing lottery program as being "discriminatory".

Fair housing group sues New York, alleging discrimination | SILive.com

Fair housing group sues New York, alleging discrimination - Times Union
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 06:32 PM

457 posts, read 737,086 times
I'm glad this happened, but it has the lawsuit backwards. How can white against white be discriminatory as mentioned in the article? It makes no sense.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:47 PM

205 posts, read 246,792 times
This is too much. LOL. Whites should file a lawsuit they cant get into the Projects in Brooklyn. what a laugh!!!

Old 07-07-2015, 06:57 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post
I'm glad this happened, but it has the lawsuit backwards. How can white against white be discriminatory as mentioned in the article? It makes no sense.
"Glad" why ? About what ? Which "whites" ? The lawsuit was filed on behalf of several black applicants.

This was bound to happen - ridiculous.
The allocation is meant to allow people to remain in the neighborhoods where they already reside.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:19 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
When you consider how many low, working and middle income whites live in areas of NYC that are gentrifying or have gentrified this lawsuit is BS.

As posted the purpose of CB or whatever preference was to assist persons to remain in the areas they lived. Greenwich Village, The West Village, Chelsea, Far West Side, Upper West Side, East Village, Hell's Kitchen, etc... are all areas that have become unaffordable housing wise to anyone white or black who isn't wealthy or sitting in a RS/RC apartment.

This nonsense is a direct and immediate response to the recent SCOTUS ruling regarding "disparate impact".

What the City should do is end all preferences and let everyone fend for themselves; first come and first served and may the best qualified win. That would shut the "fair housing" persons up because you would then see vastly more applying for the limited number of lottery/affordable housing. If whites are willing to go deep into Brooklyn or up to the Bronx African Americans need to be very afraid about pushing things too far.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:27 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If whites are willing to go deep into Brooklyn or up to the Bronx African Americans need to be very afraid about pushing things too far.
Nobody is thinking about that. The subjects of the action - the applicants - are looking at cash, money.

The legal team is looking at career building as an end. That's what happens in cultures where education, specifically in philosophy, history, and so on - things that foster thinking through the implications of one's profession - is on the wane.

As an aside, I do believe whites ARE increasingly willing to move into these areas.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:55 PM

11 posts, read 17,379 times
Hey pal does anyone know how long is take to a housing affordable to replay to a appeal????

Old 06-06-2016, 01:12 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
The penthouse condos on 57th street are discriminating against me because I don't have 50 million dollars. I feel I should be given the condo for $5,000 because I deserve it. Can someone pls refer me to a lawyer to take my case pro bono, I am a very serious victim and my rights are being extremely violated - k thanks in advance

Old 06-06-2016, 01:33 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
Want affordable housing? Eliminate height and building/zoning restrictions. Fixed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City