Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:49 AM

21 posts, read 101,205 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I just relocated back to NYC from GA and the whole plan was to move into a hotel and look for apartments.Reason why I planned it that specific way is because when I was in GA I was looking for apartments and the lanlords kept asking me to come see the properties and obviously I couldn't from out of state.I figured it would take a week to find a decent apartment and it would be fine.Make a long story short it is going on 2 weeks.I have had alot of appointments to see places in Brooklyn,Queens,and Long Island.Dumps,basement apartments,and mediorce places that I felt I could fix up but,the landlords want almost 4 months rent.I have poor credit and I know in GA you can ALWAYS find a nice affordable apartment w/bad credit.Up in NY it's crazy.I have never seen so many ads asking for a credit check.Even if you have the money they still want you to have good credit.One guy I talked to on the phone caught and attitude when I said I had bad credit and was like " How you gonna rent an apartment w/ bad credit?" ??Ok maybe since i have bc I should slit my wrists and go to hell.I'm in the process of repairing my credit but,I do need a place that is decent to live.I actually need a 2-3 bedroom in a safe(well im sure you get the point) and clean neighborhood.My budget in $0-1600 a month (That is pushing it)

Any suggestions on what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 05:55 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
have you paid up all your bills, but still have bad credit? maybe if you bring a copy of your credit report showing this, they may be a little more lenient. also, i don't know how you would obtain this, but if you were renting in GA, try to get housing court records, or a letter of recommendation from a previous landlord from down there showing that you haven't missed any rent payments.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-19-2008, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
have you paid up all your bills, but still have bad credit? maybe if you bring a copy of your credit report showing this, they may be a little more lenient. also, i don't know how you would obtain this, but if you were renting in GA, try to get housing court records, or a letter of recommendation from a previous landlord from down there showing that you haven't missed any rent payments.
When I said i'm in a the process meaning I gonna go through credit counseling since my debt isn't that much.I haven't paid anything YET but,if I can finally put this apartment situation to rest then I can get to business.I have good Rental History but, they keep telling me that they pretty much don't care and want credit.Another thing what are the best/affordable places to live in towns like Brooklyn,Queens,and Bronx (even though i'm from BX)?

I'm at a lost cause i'm on craigslist all day everyday looking for apartments and my savings is running out.I have a job lined up but,you need to have savings to move in.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:11 AM

if i were you i would ditch craigslist and start looking in the classifieds in the newspapers....also what are your requirements for a neighborhood you would like to live in?

Old 02-19-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
if i were you i would ditch craigslist and start looking in the classifieds in the newspapers....also what are your requirements for a neighborhood you would like to live in?
I checked the classifieds in the NY Times and I found ONE apartment but,the person never called back.Alot of people are playing games aswell.They don't answer/return phone calls,answering machines,and all other bull****.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:03 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
I had bad credit when I rented in Brooklyn in the late 90's.

I had to use a broker, they found me someone w/ a decent apt would would take someone w/ bad credit, then on top of a broker fee, I paid 1st/last/ 2mo security.

With a budget as low as yours (that late 90's BK apt was $1800/mo), it's going to be even more difficult, as the competition for those apartments are fierce, and the landlord is going to take someone with better credit over you.

My advice is have a lot of cash ready to go for extra security and use a broker. I would say also check the suburbs, but I know in NJ I had to get a credit check to rent as well... it was actually easier for me to buy a house with crappy credit than rent an apartment.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:13 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
I was going through a chapter 13 when i had to find another apt and my landlord asked for 12 cancelled rent checks in lieu of a credit check. I did just that and i got my apt with no problem. In fact I checked my FICOs and was surprised to learn that my FICO's are respectable even after the ch 13 was over.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dspence7891 View Post
I checked the classifieds in the NY Times and I found ONE apartment but,the person never called back.Alot of people are playing games aswell.They don't answer/return phone calls,answering machines,and all other bull****.
ny times? nahh those apartmentsare too high-classy.
try daily news or ny post.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:13 PM

^ I was thinking I would have to get a broker but,I have to save up some money first.I'll try looking in the NY Post and Daily News.I have 2 appointments tomorrow.A place in Long Island and Newark.Both were pretty nice apartments but,I was hoping for Astoria Queens,Union City NJ,or Brooklyn.Either way I'll contact my creditors and get my credit together while i'm in the apartment i'm not so crazy about.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:49 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
You might have an easier time in the suburbs, especially through a private owner. Since there is not as much competition for apartments, owners will be more willing to accept canceled rent checks etc., in lieu of a credit report. Plus, in the suburbs, you usually only pay 1 month broker fee. If you have a broker it will definitely be easier, as you can have them sift through the apartments that won't accept you.

Good luck, I know how hard it can be trying to rent with iffy credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City