Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 02:24 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,739 times

Advertisements

Sucks when you take a nice shower and feel refreshed. Then step out for 5 minutes and you are sweating again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 03:46 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
We have a mid sized two bedroom uptown in the city. We get a LOT of light.

In order to stay cool, we kept our blinds closed all day (we usually open them because we enjoy our view) and have kept AC units in our master bedroom and livingroom/kitchen on at 77 F.

We have two window units.

What are you doing to stay cool during this epic NYC heat/humidity?

I know people here in the city with NO AC! How the hell can they do it!?

Edit: We are also keeping all lights off. TV is on thought
This is nothing. Try and visit the Amazon rain forest.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:40 AM

6 posts, read 3,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Does ConEdison send you Christmas cards?
We keep ours between 72 and 74 all day. It's supposed to do the whole apartment, but we close doors to other rooms and keep fans in the hallway to channel air into the bedroom.

At night we will shut the thing off for about 3 of the coolest hours of the night, but leave the windows closed. We think shutting it off may prolong it's life.

Europe had a heat wave not too long ago. The temp. got as high as 103. 14,000 died in France alone with about 30,000 total European deaths. After that the French government decided to supply A/C for those who could not afford it. They went as far as rewiring old buildings as well.

People in the prime of health will not survive in temps of 130. The body cannot rid itself of the heat at that temp. Of course, those not in prime health and the elderly will die at lower temperatures.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:28 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Went to Montauk yesterday. Best decision ever. The weather was perfect over there. High 80s and did not feel humid on the beach . I would highly suggest to get out of nyc right now if you can.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:10 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Neither my elementary or high school had AC
That's why schools were closed in Summer.

Setting your Air Conditioner at a low temperature may fool you but it isn't going to fool the laws of Thermodynamics.
An air conditioner can remove only its rated BTU capacity. Setting it to 60 degrees will not get you to 60 unless your unit is IMMENSE and the room small.

I have a 12,000 BTU unit that has been set at 73 degrees since Memorial Day. It does LR and BR (with judiciously placed fans) I generally get, by thermometer reading, quite a bit more than that and right now it is a fairly comfy 78 degrees. Once in a blue moon it turns itself off for a little while overnight, but not this week.

You cannot get more cooling than the AC can give, no matter what you do with the thermostat. Use a thermometer to find out your REAL temperature.

Blinds and drapes? You are just kidding yourself because once light energy enters through your window it is heat that will dissipate into your room.
Believe me, I know because I have large windows facing ESE and I get broiling Sun from 9 AM til 2 PM.
Drapes on the OUTSIDE of the window would work well though.

Last edited by Kefir King; 08-14-2016 at 08:19 AM..

Old 08-14-2016, 08:14 AM

416 posts, read 247,965 times
My AC is off right now and I don't feel hot at all... haven't dared to step outside yet

Old 08-14-2016, 08:15 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This is nothing. Try and visit the Amazon rain forest.

I am pretty sure that last week we gave the Amazon rain forest a run for it's money. My weather app reported a 115 THI yesterday afternoon in Central Park. I was tempted to go look for Parrots.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:40 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,241,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
In order to stay cool, we kept our blinds closed all day (we usually open them because we enjoy our view) and have kept AC units in our master bedroom and livingroom/kitchen on at 77 F.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
AC on 77?

I leave mine on 60 all day/night.
I also keep mine on 77. I rarely run it. Just usually at night once I climb into bed then I turn it on for 2-3 hours with the timer. Occasionally if its really hot like this week I will turn it on will cleaning the apt. You do tend to get warm vacuuming and mopping.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:50 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Neither my elementary or high school had AC
That's why schools were closed in Summer.

Setting your Air Conditioner at a low temperature may fool you but it isn't going to fool the laws of Thermodynamics.
An air conditioner can remove only its rated BTU capacity. Setting it to 60 degrees will not get you to 60 unless your unit is IMMENSE and the room small.

I have a 12,000 BTU unit that has been set at 73 degrees since Memorial Day. It does LR and BR (with judiciously placed fans) I generally get, by thermometer reading, quite a bit more than that and right now it is a fairly comfy 78 degrees. Once in a blue moon it turns itself off for a little while overnight, but not this week.

You cannot get more cooling than the AC can give, no matter what you do with the thermostat. Use a thermometer to find out your REAL temperature.

Blinds and drapes? You are just kidding yourself because once light energy enters through your window it is heat that will dissipate into your room.
Believe me, I know because I have large windows facing ESE and I get broiling Sun from 9 AM til 2 PM.
Drapes on the OUTSIDE of the window would work well though.

Err, um it can get very warm in June, and we were still in school. Ditto for September when we went back. So there.

Keeping sun/light out of rooms has been a standard way of keeping close long before anyone thought of drapes; same effect as sitting under a the shade. Hence apartment buildings in NYC and elsewhere once had awnings outside. Heavy fabric drapes do help keep light and heat "out". More so if the drapes are lined with various materials designed for various thermal properties. In Europe such as Paris, France apartment buildings long have had heavy shutters that allowed windows to be opened, but kept out light and some hot air, though the things may have had adjustable slats. In fact shutters are common in many places known to be warm or even very hot.

No, these things alone will not result in a dramatic cooling but they do help.

Have a large Wallmaster that is perfectly sized for my place. Keep it set at 73 or 74 because don't like AC and use large fans to move air about. Oh and also am sort of cheap so keeping the AC set high saves on the ConEd bill. Am not one of those persons who needs their house to feel like the frozen food section of a supermarket.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:53 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
I am running around in a black suit; I think i lost 5 pounds over the last week. Being in the subway stations underground is even worse. I go right home to A/C, cold flavored seltzer. I love the Summer but whoa its been an endurance test!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City