Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 09:06 AM

4 posts, read 3,070 times

Advertisements

So I'm currently living in Brooklyn (Midwood area) with my husband and 18 month old. Right now, I'm working in Brooklyn, and my commute is about 30 min to an hr. Next fall I'll be starting fellowship at Columbia, and a one-way train commute from where I live currently would take 1.5 hrs minimum. So I'm looking for a new place to live, with a few important considerations:

- My husband is a full-time student at Brooklyn College
- My child is enrolled in daycare at Brooklyn College (it's an excellent daycare)
- Would prefer to remain in Brooklyn (for the aforementioned considerations)
- Budget is limited to $2000 / month max

We're currently renting a one-bedroom in Midwood, Brooklyn for ~ $1400 / month. We turned the living room into a living room / nursery, as it has a separate door. It's actually quite spacious, for the price. It's in a quiet residential neighborhood, and there's great grocery stores nearby. The commute to Brooklyn College is easy - 15 min by bus or 20 min by train (including walking time). I would love to remain in our current apartment (it's a steal in many regards!). But I'm concerned about how feasible the daily commute to Columbia will be for me.

I have been considering moving slightly closer - areas like Park Slope or Downtown Brooklyn - shave 15 min off my commute, but still remain close to Brooklyn College. Though I'm not sure it's possible to find a place within our budget considerations.

What are your thoughts? Any recommendations for a new place to live?

Or should I just tough it out for 2 yrs at our current apartment during the fellowship?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 09:24 AM

4,773 posts, read 6,571,114 times
How many days a week will you have to actually be on the Columbia campus?

Old 08-18-2016, 09:27 AM

223 posts, read 255,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capriciousworld View Post
So I'm currently living in Brooklyn (Midwood area) with my husband and 18 month old. Right now, I'm working in Brooklyn, and my commute is about 30 min to an hr. Next fall I'll be starting fellowship at Columbia, and a one-way train commute from where I live currently would take 1.5 hrs minimum. So I'm looking for a new place to live, with a few important considerations:

- My child is enrolled in daycare at Brooklyn College (it's an excellent daycare)

We're currently renting a one-bedroom in Midwood, Brooklyn for ~ $1400 / month. We turned the living room into a living room / nursery, as it has a separate door. It's actually quite spacious, for the price. It's in a quiet residential neighborhood, and there's great grocery stores nearby. The commute to Brooklyn College is easy - 15 min by bus or 20 min by train (including walking time). I would love to remain in our current apartment (it's a steal in many regards!). But I'm concerned about how feasible the daily commute to Columbia will be for me.

I have been considering moving slightly closer - areas like Park Slope or Downtown Brooklyn - shave 15 min off my commute, but still remain close to Brooklyn College. Though I'm not sure it's possible to find a place within our budget considerations.

Or should I just tough it out for 2 yrs at our current apartment during the fellowship?

Thanks in advance!
I frequent Columbia Univ. (Lerner Hall) often and I am located in Mill Basin. The commute doesn't bother me but I drive. With traffic it's the same commute and it doesn't bother me. But considering it's just to shave 15 minutes, I would remain in Midwood due to the aforementioned reasons. There are $2K one bedrooms in Park Slope but it's scarce and rents quick. More are available bordering or going into Sunset Park.

Congrats on the fellowship.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:28 AM

436 posts, read 565,160 times
Maybe Crown Heights? I'm not sure if that area is within your budget though. The 2 train would seem to be the best way of satisfying both of you.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
How many days a week will you have to actually be on the Columbia campus?
I have some flexibility, but expect to be there 5 days a week (weekdays).

Old 08-18-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperQuinn View Post
I frequent Columbia Univ. (Lerner Hall) often and I am located in Mill Basin. The commute doesn't bother me but I drive. With traffic it's the same commute and it doesn't bother me. But considering it's just to shave 15 minutes, I would remain in Midwood due to the aforementioned reasons. There are $2K one bedrooms in Park Slope but it's scarce and rents quick. More are available bordering or going into Sunset Park.

Congrats on the fellowship.
Thanks! Getting a car is a possibility, too. The place I live now does not have a garage, though there is available street parking. Counting the time to find a parking space, traffic, etc., it might be faster for me to take the train... I really don't know, as I have no experience driving in the city.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:47 AM

223 posts, read 255,948 times
Quote:
Thanks! Getting a car is a possibility, too. The place I live now does not have a garage, though there is available street parking. Counting the time to find a parking space, traffic, etc., it might be faster for me to take the train... I really don't know, as I have no experience driving in the city.
You are better off finding parking in Midwood than Park Slope. Parking in Manhattan - never. The train is the best bet.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:54 AM

4,773 posts, read 6,571,114 times
I agree a car will be a major hassle! Personally, I think you should stay where you are. To spend all that money to move, and possibly be paying more rent, just to shave 15 minutes off your commute time, I don't think it's worth it.

Also, as time goes by, maybe you can work from home a day or two a week, or even once in a while. So much is done online now.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:35 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
I would say move to Downtown Brooklyn but that may not be within budget. As another poster says if your fellowship allows you to work from home some days you maybe better off just staying where you are. Honestly I think that is the best bet because moving to Diwntown Brookkyn won't shave that many minutes off your commute.

The other thing to consider is when does your husband graduate from Brooklyn College, and if you have opportunities at Volumbia beyond this fellowship. Later in down the road you may both have more options in terms of location to stay.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:32 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,034,479 times
I would say that if you are looking to move, neighborhoods along the #2 subway would be good - finding something in your budget will be tough, but the best possibilities would be Crown Heights, Prospect Heights or perhaps Flatbush by Brooklyn College itself (do check out the area thoroughly though, some parts are better than others...).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City