Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 09:34 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I did not know that Spanish Harlem is Dominican. I thought Spanish Harlem or East Harlem was or is Mexican and Old Guard Puerto Rican? Please explain dude?

Yes plenty of African American's have plenty of Caribbean and Afro Latino relatives. What does you going to the Dominican Republic have to do with the video I have posted. But anyway, money is money. If you can attract all kinds of clientele from different income and racial groups, than their is nothing wrong with that. Dominicans took over business trade of hair cutting out of the hands of black Americans, a group of people who are native to this country. And last, you will always see a black American man with a Dominican woman, or any other black woman from another country. But you will never see, or rarely see a Dominican man with a black American woman. Even me for example, who has an AA girlfriend. She even admitted that its rare for my kind to date black American women, and she wanted to know why. I had to change the subject.

Overall, the Dominican Community is separate from the African American community. Black Americans like their WASP counterpart are individualistic vs family oriented Dominicans. African Americans are native to America, while Dominicans have immigrant background. Dominicans are Catholic, while Black African Americans are Protestant. The only thing Dominicans and African Americans share is the color of their skin. But beyond that, both are separate communities. whats next Nywriterdude, Jews are the same as Chinese?
I moved to West Harlem a couple of years ago when I got into grad school at Columbia.

You misread what I wrote.

I said African Americans in NYC intermarry with West Indians and Latinos and at this point they are a separate group of Black people from say African Americans in the South.

Being that Dominicans are the largest Latino group, any neighborhood that has any number of Black people will also have lots of Dominicans, outside of perhaps the Black parts of Northern Brooklyn.

25% of Asians marry non Asians, and many of those are white and in time you would have a new ethnic group forming. I argued that AAs in New York are forming a separate ethnic group, with their high levels of having children with West Indians and Latinos, plus the cultural differences that are created from living in NYC, as opposed to living wherever in the South (and the old people that connected the two are dying off).

I also did say because of the children/marriages whatever, many African Americans do have family connections with Dominicans, and it is also a place where these days many African Americans go to on vacation. So why would we insist on going to a specifically an African American barbershop, when many African Americans in NYC have some sort of connection to the Caribbean, whether it's family or simply going there on vacation or business?

Old 07-06-2017, 09:34 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
I did not know that Spanish Harlem is Dominican. I thought Spanish Harlem or East Harlem was or is Mexican and Old Guard Puerto Rican? Please explain dude?

Yes plenty of African American's have plenty of Caribbean and Afro Latino relatives. What does you going to the Dominican Republic have to do with the video I have posted. But anyway, money is money. If you can attract all kinds of clientele from different income and racial groups, than their is nothing wrong with that. Dominicans took over business trade of hair cutting out of the hands of black Americans, a group of people who are native to this country. And last, you will always see a black American man with a Dominican woman, or any other black woman from another country. But you will never see, or rarely see a Dominican man with a black American woman. Even me for example, who has an AA girlfriend. She even admitted that its rare for my kind to date black American women, and she wanted to know why. I had to change the subject.

Overall, the Dominican Community is separate from the African American community. Black Americans like their WASP counterpart are individualistic vs family oriented Dominicans. African Americans are native to America, while Dominicans have immigrant background. Dominicans are Catholic, while Black African Americans are Protestant. The only thing Dominicans and African Americans share is the color of their skin. But beyond that, both are separate communities. whats next Nywriterdude, Jews are the same as Chinese?
Oh I don't know about that. Have never heard such a thing. Am thinking you mean *Christian*.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I moved to West Harlem a couple of years ago when I got into grad school at Columbia.

I said African Americans in NYC intermarry with West Indians and Latinos and at this point they are a separate group of Black people from say African Americans in the South.

Being that Dominicans are the largest Latino group, any neighborhood that has any number of Black people will also have lots of Dominicans, outside of perhaps the Black parts of Northern Brooklyn.

25% of Asians marry non Asians, and many of those are white and in time you would have a new ethnic group forming. I argued that AAs in New York are forming a separate ethnic group, with their high levels of having children with West Indians and Latinos, plus the cultural differences that are created from living in NYC, as opposed to living wherever in the South (and the old people that connected the two are dying off).

I also did say because of the children/marriages whatever, many African Americans do have family connections with Dominicans, and it is also a place where these days many African Americans go to on vacation. So why would we insist on going to a specifically an African American barbershop, when many African Americans in NYC have some sort of connection to the Caribbean, whether it's family or simply going there on vacation or business?
Am not sure I agree. Inwood is a Hispanic area with mainly Dominicans and not many Black Americans. If anything, am thinking they're are more Whites than Black Americans or whatever.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:42 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Oh I don't know about that. Have never heard such a thing. Am thinking you mean *Christian*.
No. I mean difference of faith. Catholic and Protestants are two different denominations of the same faith. Remember plenty of protestant faiths reject the teachings and beliefs of the Catholic Church such as the nature of god. Some Protestant faiths that are practiced by many Black and white Wasp Americans do not follow the Nicene Creed. Even me for example, when I had to go to my girlfriends church, I found it pretty weird and odd, Baptist churches make me cringe. I like my traditional Catholic Church, even though I'm a lapsed Catholic.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
No. I mean difference of faith. Catholic and Protestants are two different denominations of the same faith. Remember plenty of protestant faiths reject the teachings and beliefs of the Catholic Church such as the nature of god. Some Protestant faiths that are practiced by many Black and white Wasp Americans do not follow the Nicene Creed. Even me for example, when I had to go to my girlfriends church, I found it pretty weird and odd, Baptist churches make me cringe. I like my traditional Catholic Church, even though I'm a lapsed Catholic.
Am very clear on what you mean, but Black Americans are usually Christian from what I know.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

Do you have facts or backup claims to how many African Americans have relationships, marriages, children with Non African American black people to back up your claim, except for black men wanting to date out with some fly woman from the islands or Dominican? All I know is, that I agree with the video I posted. Dominicans took over the hair business in black neighborhoods. In matter of fact, I know of a Dominican woman who moved to Atlanta, opened up an hair salon and is expanding down there. I'm sure she put down a couple of black owned hair salons out of business. Mainly African men in NYC tend to date and have kids with black non American women. That's about it. Even though you claim they are forming their own ethnic group because of mixing with Afro West Indians and Afro Latinos, yet these groups still want to move to the south because its cheaper.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am very clear on what you mean, but Black Americans are usually Christian from what I know.
Their are 3 subsets of the Christian faith which are branches. You have Roman Catholic, Greek Orthodox or Eastern Othrodox and Protestant. Black Americans tend to be Protestant. Irish are Christians, Puerto Ricans are Christians, Dominicans are Christians Greeks are Christians, African Americans are Christians, but they have their own subset or branches that they belong to due to culture and upbringing. Greeks tend to be Greek Otrhodox, Irish, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans tend to be Catholic, African Americans tend to be protestant. They are Christian, but they practice Protestantism such as AME, Baptist, Pentecostal, Seven Day Adventist and so on.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Their are 3 subsets of the Christian faith which are branches. You have Roman Catholic, Greek Orthodox or Eastern Othrodox and Protestant. Black Americans tend to be Protestant. Irish are Christians, Puerto Ricans are Christians, Dominicans are Christians Greeks are Christians, African Americans are Christians, but they have their own subset or branches that they belong to due to culture and upbringing. Greeks tend to be Greek Otrhodox, Irish, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans tend to be Catholic, African Americans tend to be protestant. They are Christian, but they practice Protestantism such as AME, Baptist, Pentecostal, Seven Day Adventist and so on.
Depends on what state. You find many African American Catholics in Louisiana and Maryland due to Louisiana being French and Maryland being the only English Catholic colony. Agree with you from other states African Americans are predominately (but not entirely Protestant).

Old 07-06-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Do you have facts or backup claims to how many African Americans have relationships, marriages, children with Non African American black people to back up your claim, except for black men wanting to date out with some fly woman from the islands or Dominican? All I know is, that I agree with the video I posted. Dominicans took over the hair business in black neighborhoods. In matter of fact, I know of a Dominican woman who moved to Atlanta, opened up an hair salon and is expanding down there. I'm sure she put down a couple of black owned hair salons out of business. Mainly African men in NYC tend to date and have kids with black non American women. That's about it. Even though you claim they are forming their own ethnic group because of mixing with Afro West Indians and Afro Latinos, yet these groups still want to move to the south because its cheaper.
Yeah and a lot of this is talk. One reason why the city's population has grown is because of those remaining, they don't move out the way they used to.

Southern states did not participate in the medicaid expansion (Louisiana) did, and the public services in general aren't there in the South. On and of course CUNY and SUNY are free.

NY maybe more expensive, but you get what you pay for and there is considerably more opportunity careerwise or even just job wise in NY than it is in the South. Georgia is Alabama and Mississippi outside of Atlanta, South Carolina not all that (ditto Louisiana). Virginia and North Carolina are a bit East Coast, Texas is Southwestern (not strictly Southern) and of course Florida is it's own thing.

But the South in general, rural areas never recovered from mechanization in agriculture and free trade further decimated the small towns that make up the majority of the region. In short it SUCKS!

Old 07-06-2017, 10:24 AM

655 posts, read 2,182,743 times
This entire thread is offensive. Big ups to the moderators who have allowed outright prejudice and racism to be put on display here. Way to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.