Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 09:31 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times

Advertisements

It comes from people from other parts of the country where the pace is slower. People have more time to be polite and courteous there. Big cities like NY can't function that way. You have to keep the line moving. No time for chit chat and pleasantries. It's a rat race.

If you go to other cities' forums, the people outside those cities have the same complaint about their respective cities too. Rural Californians think Los Angeles is a dump and would never set foot in it. Oklahomans think Dallas is big and scary. Pennsylvanians think Philly is a sh thole. Western Massachusetts people think Bostonians are priccks, Detroit, Miami, Atlanta, Baltimore, the list goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 03:20 PM

22 posts, read 26,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
You may be on to something!
Lol I can't wait to read this post to my husband. Thank you!

Old 09-24-2016, 11:36 PM

416 posts, read 247,761 times
New Yorkers like out of towners. Your husband feels protective

Old 09-25-2016, 11:26 AM

139 posts, read 129,776 times
i don't consider new yorkers rude as much as i do inconsiderate. people will give you the "thank yours" "pleases" and "your welcomes" for the most part. though customer service is the pits in this town. however, i find many new yorkers tend to act as if they are the only person in a city of nearly 9 million.

for example, i tire of overhearing people's cell phone conversations - conversations designed to attract attention and create drama on the street. (i also find new yorkers exhibitionist.)

it annoys me that people play video games and music on a speaker through blue tooth on the subway and streets with no headphones.

in brooklyn so many bike riders go the wrong way down streets.

in my neighborhood, drivers don't really stop at stop signs and routinely blow through red lights. they honk while they are doing it as if that's fair warning to pedestrians and cars coming the other way and that makes it ok. pedestrians don't have the right of way. also drivers play obnoxious, profanity-riddled music so loud house windows shake.

i've seen drivers stop, open their car doors and dump their garbage in the middle of the street.

these are just a few examples of what i'd consider as inconsiderate not really rude. of course there's more, like the oblivious texting, the stopping wherever you happen to be to text or email etc.

and i find new yorkers to be complacent (or maybe too tired) because no one ever speaks up and i know others are bothered too!

Old 09-25-2016, 01:10 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy1172 View Post
Seems like most people believe that New Yorkers are habitually rude. My husband(Brooklyn,Ny) says New Yorkers are blunt, and yes, rude. Lol but, he also tells me that people will take my kindness as a weakness. Do most New Yorkers believe that? I refuse to live there, I'm from Texas, and I can't seem to stop having manners, and I can't help but to treat people the way I'd like to be treated. He can't stand the thought of anyone, "getting over" on him. We've been together almost 18 years, but we still disagree about people, and how to get along with people. He loves to argue, but I sure love to hear his NY accent lol(still).
Nope, we're not rude. We can be very kind, both to each other and tourists. But we're impatient.

What exactly does "getting over" entail, and why does it bother him? That somehow sounds like he has an inferiority complex.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:51 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,608 times
Quote:
Seems like most people believe that New Yorkers are habitually rude. My husband(Brooklyn,Ny) says New Yorkers are blunt, and yes, rude. Lol but, he also tells me that people will take my kindness as a weakness. Do most New Yorkers believe that? I refuse to live there, I'm from Texas, and I can't seem to stop having manners, and I can't help but to treat people the way I'd like to be treated. He can't stand the thought of anyone, "getting over" on him. We've been together almost 18 years, but we still disagree about people, and how to get along with people. He loves to argue, but I sure love to hear his NY accent lol(still).
I moved here a year ago from NC, and I can say that the majority of New Yorkers I've ran into aren't deliberately rude. They're abrupt, to-the-point, and quick to voice their opinion, and I think that comes off as rude to a lot of people not from here.

My biggest complaint with most folks here is that many seem to have incessant need to tell every in a 10 block radius their opinion of everything.

All in all though, they seem to be decent people always in a rush.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:17 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I moved here a year ago from NC, and I can say that the majority of New Yorkers I've ran into aren't deliberately rude. They're abrupt, to-the-point, and quick to voice their opinion, and I think that comes off as rude to a lot of people not from here.

My biggest complaint with most folks here is that many seem to have incessant need to tell every in a 10 block radius their opinion of everything.

All in all though, they seem to be decent people always in a rush.

I agree.
Also, I agree with the above poster.
A lot of it is impatience, not intentional rudeness.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:56 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,811 times
Quote:
It all depends how one approaches NYers. I cannot imagine that they respond in a rude way to if you yourself are nice and friendly. It seems that your husband is a tough guy, so that is what he gets in return.
But, yes, NYers are straight forward, kind of direct, not rude, they tell you what's on their mind, fast, because everybody is in a hurry. Here in NYC there is no afternoon "siesta."

And....if one needs something, NYers are very helpful, some go out of their way!

Old 09-26-2016, 08:02 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I think most New Yorkers are quite polite,at least a basic level of politeness.
The city would never function as well as it does - very few incidents,for example,on the VERY crowded subway system- if New Yorkers did not have a basic level of politeness and consideration.

As for superfluous politeness, the "have a nice day" stuff : no,we are not big on that.

One thing I do notice is that New Yorkers are actually friendly (even being from such a big city) and more willing to chat with strangers than even people in the NJ suburbs of NYC,which is right across the river. Not quite sure why people get less friendly once you cross the river into NJ.
Correct, but yes, NYers often say

Have a nice day!
Take care!
Take it easy, now!
Now be a good girl!
Don't be a stranger!
etc....

I hear it all the time!

Old 09-26-2016, 09:59 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
Correct, but yes, NYers often say

Have a nice day!
Take care!
Take it easy, now!
Now be a good girl!
Don't be a stranger!
etc....

I hear it all the time!
I will say that African-Americans tend to be more polite than white Americans in NYC (of course this is a generalization). Maybe it's because many African-Americans have family roots in the south (from a generation or two back),where people tend to be more polite? Not quite sure.

I notice that African-Americans will often say "Have a blessed day" at the end of a conversation or phonecall, and will say "Take care" or "How are you doing?" upon greeting someone, even a stranger.
White Americans in NYC don't always do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City