Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2016, 12:15 AM

762 posts, read 1,750,475 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
Does anyone know when and where the East 79th Street Neighborhood Association meets? I've Googled 'til I'm blue in the face and not found a website or meeting calendar anywhere online. I believe they meet monthly and would like to attend the next meeting.

My questions:
Which would be a better bet to go and voice my concerns/complaints regarding excessive noise in my neighborhood and actually see something done about it - a Neighborhood Association or the Community Board? There are several businesses on my block that are repeat offenders, and each of them contributes to very unpleasant noise conditions. Historically, the E. 79th St. Neighborhood Assoc. has been known for getting results, but I don't know how true that still is. Filing complaints through nyc.gov has done nothing.

I found the calendar for my Community Board online, and I assume that it's the Full Board Meeting that local area residents would attend, if they're not on a specific committee. I'll probably attend the next one coming up, but it's been quite frustrating trying to find out when my Neighborhood Assoc. meets.

Or... should I just contact my local Assemblyperson? City Council member?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 06:00 AM

295 posts, read 281,639 times
There's this:

East 79th Street Neighborhood Assn.
P.O. Box 20052 Cherokee Station
New York, NY 10021-0060

Betty Cooper-Wallerstein, President

http://cb8m.com/sites/default/files/...ANIZATIONS.pdf

I guess you'll have to snail-mail it!

Old 10-11-2016, 07:02 PM

762 posts, read 1,750,475 times
It's crazy not to have a phone number or website in 2016. Ah well, thank you for the info - there are other good resources on that document, so I've saved it to my hard drive.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,169 times
I've had the same problem. They're invisible.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:31 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad_the_inhaler View Post
There's this:

East 79th Street Neighborhood Assn.
P.O. Box 20052 Cherokee Station
New York, NY 10021-0060

Betty Cooper-Wallerstein, President

http://cb8m.com/sites/default/files/...ANIZATIONS.pdf

I guess you'll have to snail-mail it!
Mrs Cooper-Wallerstein is gone, O-W-T as president of E79SNA, she retired last year.

Her "old school" UES ways may be why the group didn't have a website or any of the more modern means of contact. She did things the old fashioned way with pen and paper.

A post-Wallerstein world? | Manhattan, New York, NY | Local News

You missed the meeting for September:

9/11: East 79th Street Neighborhood Association Monthly Meeting
6:00PM, location to be announced
Special Guest Speaker NY State Senator Liz Krueger
No monthly meeting will be held in August. E 79th St. Neighborhood Association will resume meetings in September. https://benkallos.com/newsletter/august-update

Truth to tell many of these local block and or neighborhood associations are slowly dying for want of active members.

Call it gentrification or whatever but areas like sleepy Yorkville, Turtle Bay, and other places are seeing changes in demographics. Older residents are either dying off, or moving away. The younger persons moving in largely don't have the time and or otherwise can't be bothered.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 696 times
Arrow East 79th Street Neighborhood Association is alive and well!

Dear Friends,

Betty Cooper Wallerstein, founder and current President of the East 79th Street Neighborhood Association, has returned to her leadership position to improve the quality of life in our neighborhood. Ms. Wallerstein began the Association in 1984 in order to stop the destruction of middle- and working class housing, increase MTA bus service across 79th Street, gather and distribute toys and food for the holidays, and so much more.

While Ms. Wallerstein accomplishes much without the internet, new recruits have set up Association email (with Ms. Wallerstein's approval).

Our email address is E79SNA@gmail.com and we are welcoming inquiry and volunteers.

Overdevelopment in our community has eliminated many meeting spaces, and the current pandemic requires additional distancing considerations. Be on the look-out for a Zoom meeting announcement for a mid-fall 2020 meeting. In the meanwhile, please do reach out with issues and commendations regarding the East Side of Manhattan, New York City.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:48 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E79SNA View Post
Dear Friends,

Betty Cooper Wallerstein, founder and current President of the East 79th Street Neighborhood Association, has returned to her leadership position to improve the quality of life in our neighborhood. Ms. Wallerstein began the Association in 1984 in order to stop the destruction of middle- and working class housing, increase MTA bus service across 79th Street, gather and distribute toys and food for the holidays, and so much more.

While Ms. Wallerstein accomplishes much without the internet, new recruits have set up Association email (with Ms. Wallerstein's approval).

Our email address is E79SNA@gmail.com and we are welcoming inquiry and volunteers.

Overdevelopment in our community has eliminated many meeting spaces, and the current pandemic requires additional distancing considerations. Be on the look-out for a Zoom meeting announcement for a mid-fall 2020 meeting. In the meanwhile, please do reach out with issues and commendations regarding the East Side of Manhattan, New York City.
No one else wanted the job or what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: